PDA

View Full Version : Hinze Dam help

Captian_Zero
14-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi

I was staying at the gold coast during the week and did a trip to Hinze Dam. it was my first attempt at freshwater fishing.

I had looked up the details on the GC City council website before I went and noted that "Anglers on Hinze Dam must use baits which are indigenous to the area- freshwater shrimp, yabbies and earthworms (in that order)." That being the case I did not take any bait with me. I assumed that I could buy bait there but I was wrong. I was informed at the kiosk that if I wanted to buy bait I should return to Nerang.

Questions:

Can I use shrimps, yabbies or earthworms not caught at the dam?
What are the options for catching my own bait at the dam itself?

Having no bait I fished from the bank with soft plastics and spinner baits. I noticed that there were small fish following the lure almost at my feet. I had some bread with me for lunch so used this on a small hook under a float and managed to catch s few of the small fish, which I now know were banded grunter. Not knowing what they were at the time I let them go however I have since discovered the following website link that says they should be destroyed if caught in SEQ dams:

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/BandedGrunter.htm

I could not find any reference to these fish on the DPI's site as a noxious fish (although they are in NSW).

Should I follow the advice on the above site and destroy them in future?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

Feral
14-01-2007, 09:08 PM
You can use dead bait from elsewhere, IE prawns, no the actual bait does not have to come out of that dam, just be a species that exists in the dam. IE put some shrimp traps in your local creek a day or two before you go.

There is probably a good population of redclaw in there by now anyway, I know someone who was being naughty and using live redclaw for bait when the DPI came along, 100 small redclaw got a quick dip when this bloke saw the DPI coming!