PDA

View Full Version : Help fellow fisho's this Xmas - Don't be a Fin DK!

SeekingBarradise
27-12-2006, 12:15 AM
Hello Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to everyone on Ausfish.

We have started this chat to get everyone thinking of helping fellow fisherman/women out over the Festive season as we are all out there to have fun and we are not competing against each other like the Olympics etc so lets relax and help a someone new (or an old hat) to the fishing scene catch their first Barra/Bass over the holiday period.

Don't be a Fin DK! There is nothing worse than meeting a Fin DK after a days fishing!

What is a Fin DK? Some of the actions below describe what many of us call a Fin Dk.
It's someone that is not helping people in the fishing industry, whether it is because of ego or their own insecurity - some have all the gear and no idea and others have no gear and no idea!! Anyhow here are a few actions many of our friends have had to put up with over the last year. They are actual experiences - we couldn't list them all as the list is long.

1. At a competition a competitor was asked how he went in the pre-fish? He replied "yeah man i got 20+ fish - easy - yeah" He had a few other guys on his boat and he was found out over the next few days to be a liar as he didn't catch any barra - even worse over the next couple of days he only weighted in a baked bean tin size bass in a barra comp. He just had to be the camp hero and decided to make everyone he talked to feel like crap because he basically was telling you how good he was and how bad you were. = Fin Dk1. Please call anyone in a campsite who does this a Fin DK - pull your head in mate etc.

2. When at a boat ramp people usually ask how did you go? If you get the answer "Dropped a few"(Fin DK2) this usually means we caught no fish. Just be honest and say "we didn't catch any". Leave your ego's in the the car park. Don't try to be the camp barra hero!

3. At the boat ramp when people ask how you went? If they say "got busted off in the timber" this usually means "we caught no fish" which was confirmed by his mates later on at camp. (Fin DK3) Even worse we have seen the same people who were leaving the dam that day not give the poor guys/girls any info on where to catch their first barra - they had travelled a long way. Worse than that when asked for the general area the guy replied " in the timber" not much help when there is 10 000 acres of timber ggggggg.

What is it with some fisho's - it's not the Olympics with 180 nations and 10 000+ athletes competing (some comps have less than 18 people) - it wasn't a comp weekend - so help out a fellow fisho. The people asking may have travelled from the southern states and go back thinking geee we got no help from any of the people who fished the dams in that area - we won't come back- this hurts the whole fishing industry because 99.99% of anglers pay for the fish to be stocked and keep fishing companies rich to improve competition prize money etc etc it's all linked in one big circle. So the top end has to help the general population.

4. At a boat ramp this year 7 boats were lined up with no fish between them - it was tough going. One guy said " yeah but they are catching them" Good old they ha this means one guy in the whole camp (which put in a combined 2000 man hours a day on the dam) caught a fish. One local in camp AW is notorious for the "they" quote over the last few years.
Don't make people feel like crap after a days fishing with a cheap shot. Fishing is not a one-up-man-ship competition. Help someone out - it doesn't cost you anything.
He was awarded the title of (Fin DK4) & the local has been the title holder for the last 4+ years.

5. Fin DK5&6 Goes to the guys in a boat who were motoring up a creek at a rate of knots. We were there casting at a weed bed 10m in front of us and we had 50m of channel behind us. The guys next to us were in a comp and we were all quiet for several hours so we didn't spook fish etc.
Rare sense would make many people go past us in the nice wide 50m channel - but no not these guys they were flat chat making a B-line to cut our lines off and hammer past our boat within about 3mts until we decided to wave them down and say what the hell were you thinking? Thats right you weren't Geeeseeee. One of our fishing friends was nearly killed at the Big AW when a clown ran in to him on the water in broad daylight - his son was on board and all were lucky to escape injury. Slow down and enjoy the serenity!

The same day Mammoth (nickname) who we fished with hooked up and we were circled by 4 boats including on group of clowns the motored past us within 10m when we were fighting a fish in the middle of the dam - have some respect please and give a fellow fisho's who's hooked up some room as we were so lucky not to have the line cut.

Fin DK 7. People who work in tackle shops are generally nice people just wanting to help you catch fish - they are usually very keen fisho's and just love fishing. Lately a person we know someone in the fishing industry who is sick of Barra fishos as 8/10 of them in this particular area have been rude when he has asked them if they need any help. No need to be rude to people trying to help. He prays for the 2/10 family orientated fisho's with no egos to come in more often.

Here are some of the comments from this last week - a." No mate i know about barra fishing, you go and sell your stuff to someone else" The guy had been barra fishing twice in the last few years! b. "no mate we don't need any help we catch 30 barra every time we go mate always in this one spot we clean up mate clean up".

The next day another guy comes in and says" no mate i caught 30 barra no worries at a certain dam last week." The shop attendant had been to the same dam the same week and after a few questions to (old mate fin dk) about water temp/weather conditions/tactics he had a blank look on his face and was caught out telling more big fibs gggggg whats with the ego in barra fishing?

What is the go with the barra ego? The guy in the shop has grown up in the NT and caught more fish than most inter state fisho's before he was 10 years old and he couldn't believe the industry would be so rude especially in the barra scene in this one particular area.

This chat is already long so we won't list the rest of the rude actions from fisho's-we haven't even finished this years list. If you are a fellow Ausfisher and see/chat to a fellow fisho who is doing it hard please help them out with a fishing spot or some good information on what is working in your area to hopefully put them on to fish a little quicker. Make it a Happy Festive season for more people who love the outdoors/fishing and instead of writing articles that say " if you are smart or know where the fish are you will be ok" Fin DK. Please just say "the fish were here doing this = in this area= and were caught doing this =good luck-hope this helps you out etc" it doesn't cost you anything to be kind.

If you have had a Fin DK experience let us know what it was??

Hopefully we have put 1 Fisherperson on to a fish this Festive season that they wouldn't have normally caught. We hope to meet some fellow Ausfishers & non ausfisho's on the water soon & make new friends doing what we all love = fishing for fun.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year = SeekingBarradise (lets get rid of the fin dks)

BR65
27-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Food for thought SB
I for one knew absolutely nothing about impoudment barra fishing, now I reckon I know nothing plus a tiny smidge, and I mean tiny, of the good oil.
Thats why I love it, I want to know it better and become more proficient at it.
With out advice, help, reading between the lines of others reports on this site, asking questions to people who know (thanks to the boys at Sundown) etc etc I would be still scratching my head on how to tie an allbright.
I have no time for liars or fools, if you have a great day and some one asks, tell them, if you bomb out and some one asks, tell them. Why Bullsh##t??
Its not a reflection on your ability as a fisher person, its why its called fishing, not catching.
Im heading up to Monduran next week for a couple of days to hopefully catch a couple of fish. When I get there the first thing I'l ask is "hows the fishin, they catching em trolling or casting?". Hopefully someone who has been there for a bit will point me in the right direction, I dont want or need hand holding, just a nudge to save time.
In return, Im more than happy to pass on any info or advice I might have to other fishos, how ever little that may be.
If I can help some one, as I was helped, then great!!
Courtesy and respect for others on the water should be a priority. Dont crowd others, slow down when passing by, think how you would like to be treated.
Unfortunately, its not just on the dams where the knucle heads play, I see it in the passage all the time.
Any ways, good fishing to all for this year, may your rod bend as often as your esky opens.

cheers
Brian

smee
27-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Thankyou for an interesting read as iam local know jack about awoonga and catching barra their, and will have 4 blokes from nsw on my doorstep at lunch time today wanting to spend day and night trying to catch barra till the 5/1/07 istart work again tomorrow so they will have to go it alone for the next 4 days any info to pass on will be greatly appreciated.

regards smee

Big_J
27-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi All
Thats wright SeekingBarradise I have had a few 12 hour round trips barra fishing just to here some FIN-D**K tell me he caught 30 and 20 over a metre and were was that in the dam he said good one FIN- D**K Awoonga is the size of sydney harbor. Some of theys barra guys are un Australian they need to wake up to them selfs and help each other.

SeekingBarradise
27-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys we agree with all of you.

We have no problem with a good fishing yarn over a camp fire ha as it's part of our aussie culture. We just don't like people full of BS-online or in real life.

We shouldn't have to read between lines to get some good information or have to shake it out of people in the camp or at the ramp etc.

All the best with your barra fishing Br65, Big J and Smee we hope to see you on the water one day and enjoy a great fishing session with you.

We won't be online for awhile as we are off for 3 weeks fishing/travelling so we might just see you on the water.

If you meet a guy acting like a clown just say
"mate your not a fin dk are you? ha"

All the best - Cheers SeekingBarradise

still_water
27-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Nice one SB, #Today a fellow fisher and kids were bogged at Monduran Ramp as I was just putting in.
Whilst I was trying to help this poor guy out I was asked in no uncertain terms to move my F'n Truck out of the water by a boater who had just come home at the same time I pushed off my trailer.

What ???? the other 60 feet of Mud either side of me was not enough for his 12 foot Launch.
I hope everyone does help each other out. Every time I am asked on ,what where and how I like #to give any info I can. Yes I am a guide but I do not class myself as a God. I to have bad trips , even on my home grounds.

I know what it is like to drive for hours on end to not see a fish because no-one would help with suggestions.
With even just half the stuff we see and hear on a daily basis would fill this site up.
Cheers and a Safe New Year to all.

Brett.

scott_b
27-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Gday Brett
I think you might have experienced a normal every day F Wit not a Fin DK, ;) correct me if I'm wrong.
wamjam

barramad.
28-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Wamjam,
Yep you nailed it, an ordinary FW.
Doesnt matter where you go, they are out there. Bumped into one yest evening at the ramp on Awoonga. Middle of the ramp (2 lane) high beams on, and an attitude to match.

SB,
Some valid points there, and its def getting more common. There can be a little more to it though. No reason to lie if you caught nothing though! I know I dont catch them every time.

Getting plowed in by other boats when they see you boat a fish, guys trolling between you and the bank your casting, being followed, the list goes on. Some people just dont think, but if the shoe was on the other foot they would be going off.

Ive been guilty of being short with people who I dont know ring me and ask for info on the dam because they are doing it tough. I guess they dont realise that I work shift and have woken me up, or Im having personal time with my family (ie Christmas day 2 x phone calls)??
Im certainly not the only person this happens to, how they got my number is anyones guess.
Some times a little courtesy goes a LONG way.

Information sharing is a great thing, you will always learn while you help someone else. Thats why I contribute here and write the odd article.
I do it as much as I can esp at the ramp. Its a great meeting place and always a good conversation starter. It gets the thought process going.
Some of the nicest people I have ever met have been at the ramp at Awoonga. Ive also met some total goose's as well.

Brett you done well to hold your tongue, certainly one of the hardest aspects of your job eh?
Hope you have been getting amongst them in this highly unusual weather cell we are experiencing at present.
Best to all for the New Year.
Jas

McCod
28-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Agree with some of the points here…. But I don’t think some fisho’s should be branded with some little pet derogatory name just because they have said they jumped a few off or got busted up in the sticks etc! I have no problem with saying such a line at the boat ramp or back at the camp at all!! And there is at least 2 persons that have used that same sort of expression that have already replied to this post and most of the fisho’s I know including plenty that visit this site on a regular basis will say similar stuff! Jump offs, bust ups etc are all part of Barra fishing and if someone tells me that at the ramp on my way out…. It gives me a sense of anticipation knowing that there hitting baits out there .….. Sorry but I’m not that judgemental of my fellow fisho’s!!! I think it can give some sort of encouragement to fisho’s who are having a hard time getting a strike as it will sometimes lead to longer conversation with things like what lure, how ,when, where etc…..
Sorry but I’m not gunna comply with all of your morals SB ;D ;D ;D :-X
No name calling here ether ;D

Cheers Les "not perfect fisho"

banshee
28-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah,what Les said.

Awoonga
28-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Well l must be a fin dk because when l am asked back at the ramp how did l go ? most of my replys go along the lines off yep got a couple dropped a couple....and yes l got busted off....So l just might name my boat Fin DK.. ;D ;D ;D ;D...So if you see me at the ramp dont bother asking how l went because you will only get the truth....Some of these posts just seem to get sillier and sillier....

bigdan123
28-12-2006, 09:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D good onya trev
some of the thing you see here :-? :-/ :-/ :-/

Dan

Big_J
29-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Ha Ha Ha
It didnt take long for people to look at this in a negative way some parts anyway. I think that SeekingBarradise was trying to make people be a little bet more truefull and not full of them self lying about their catch so they dont let people think that they are crap at catching barra we all have our good and bad days fishing. But there are certain number of barra people that never have a bad day true or false is there such a thing? At the end of the day all that SeekingBarradise is trying to do is get fellow fisher man and woman to help each other out and cut the BS out.

I work at a certain fishing/sports store and there was a few pictures of Awoonga barra on the wall and one day a father and son criticized a meter 112cm barra saying that there one was way bigger and that is nothing. when asked what was the length of theirs they replyed 116cm 4 centimeter bigger how they were talking I imagind 130cm so all this comes back to is certain barra people wreck it for all.

The meter 112 barra was a customers first barra at awoonga after 4 trips up there with no fish 5 trip lucky he puts the catch down to a good bloke at the camp telling hem were he hooked up the day before good onya thats what it is about we need more of them.

Big J ;D

Bad_Bazza
31-12-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm with Les on this one.
Let me say from the start that I am very much on "L" plates when it comes to barra and this site had been tremendous in helping me develop my barra fishing. In total I have spent five weeks (retiree) on both Monduran & Awoonga in the last eighteen months fishing barra.
I would rather hear someone tell me the amount of fish that they had contact with(truthfully) rather than "no fish caught". These two comments convey a totally different message as to what is happening out there.
I know from my very short experience that I have contact with a lot, lot more than I land during a session. In fact my hookups far outweigh the fish landed and I am working very, very hard to figure how to turn this ratio around.
By saying "no fish caught" you are conveying that things are very, very tough out there and so not helping others anyway and probably discouraging them by saying that.
Anyway that's my two bob's worth!

Baz

lenthals_barra
04-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Les, couldn't of put it better myself, well said mate! Even these people that think they know everything about fishing dont catch fish some days. On my last trip to awoonga if it wasn't for a fella at the boat ramp telling me he lost 3 fish at the weed beds near dingo island i wouldn't of got my couple of fish. I fished pretty much everywhere on the dam for 3 days without as much as a hit even and all it took for me to get a fish was a good aussie bloke! haha nice way to put it. I think people should just think of it like this, they wont always be the ones catching the fish!!! ;D

Massive
15-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Last Friday night Me the boss and our tin ass son fished for whiting at our favorite spot.A couple of blokes fishing 50 meters away were catching stuff all there was a little freindly banter which resulted in the boss telling them to come over gave them some live prawns and they were on straight away. The tin ass son produced a 440 grm whiting and a3.3 kg flathead to show off while they were tied on to the back of our 4.2 fat gutted dory.At stumps the new guys were left with our leftover live prawns and great big smiles. Its all about Karma. Cheers Massive

Datto7
17-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Les, couldn't of put it better myself, well said mate! Even these people that think they know everything about fishing dont catch fish some days. On my last trip to awoonga if it wasn't for a fella at the boat ramp telling me he lost 3 fish at the weed beds near dingo island i wouldn't of got my couple of fish. I fished pretty much everywhere on the dam for 3 days without as much as a hit even and all it took for me to get a fish was a good aussie bloke! haha nice way to put it. I think people should just think of it like this, they wont always be the ones catching the fish!!! ;D

I think you hit the nail on the head here and just re-inforced SB's point about not BSing at the boat ramp. The bloke told you truthfully and it helped you to catch fish. He didn't cr ap on about the 5 over a metre he put back and the 15 he dropped etc etc.

I spent a week at monduran and awoonga recently and it was refreshing to hear that people were having a hard time catching barra. I thought it was something I was doing wrong. I am a new barra fisho that has fluked onto one in my life (70cm) The bloke I went with was also a new barra fisho and he fluked onto 5 fish (2 monduran and 3 awoonga) that trip, ranged from 40cm to 1.05m. I say fluked onto them because we really had no idea how to "target" them, we just tried different things until we caught some.

We HAPPILY told everyone we could how we were catching them.

From a new fisho's point of view, there is nothing worse than hearing the old, we caught and released 30 today and 27 yesterday, all in the timber BS. I would much rather hear the "I hooked one and lost it near that big tree over there" or the "Tough work out there today guys, all day and no hits".

SB were you camped at Boynedale? I think we may have met you. If it was or wasn't you, it was refreshing to meet a fisho with a help everyone attitude.

Bob H
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
i,m with you too les ha,whats wrong with a little bull shit ha anyway ha ? its not going to stop you going to a spot ha and having a try, makes it more interesting ha. bob h ha. ha .ha .