PDA

View Full Version : Help with first barra

Barraless
11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
hey there

I have recently moved to central Queensland and I have been trying to catch a barra for the last 6 months. I have bought a few kinds of lures deep diving and gold bombers. I have a found a spot where there is barra and plenty of timber and snags.I have fished there a couple of days and have only caught Catfish. I have attached a picture of the lure that a tackle shop recomended, but still no success. If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated

SWANY22
11-01-2007, 07:36 PM
only got 1 my self took 4 hard days at awoonga to get lure classic barra 15+ a lot of guys swer by those squidges though

Barraless
12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah I might have to experiment with a few lures, looks like a drive to a tackle shop hehehe might get expensive. Its a good thing its two hours away.

Cheers

lenthals_barra
12-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Hey barraless where do u fish? these hot days early morning n late afternoon shallow diver should work a treat. cast at the tree tops that are under the water to half way out the water. they seem to hold more fish although i have cort them in open water. get ur casts rite in2 the snags and have a few casts at the same snag. i often cast at the one snag up 2 10-15 times. and many a time i have said to myself rite last cast at this one and bang! nice barra. lately i hav been doing extrmely well using a gold bibless minnow lure.....its a gladiator lure has red hooks...been working both salt and fresh water with some real nice fishing being cort. yeh let us know where u fish and i mite b able to help abit more.

killitfillit
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
troll with a classic 120 15+ or cast a squidgie slick rig 110 and you might get lucky

Matthias
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
What part of Central QLD are you? What are the local rivers? And are you Landbased?

Try and find where there are drains, bottle necks, structure etc. You will hear barra feeding and know when your in the right spot.

Pete.

Barraless
13-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I am based at Moranbah (two hours west of Mackay) I have been fishing Kinchant, Tereesa Creek and the Bedford weir. I am mainly shore based (due to a young family) but I do venture out on a boat. I have a spot way upstream in the Bedford weir were I have seen barra swimming and feeding, But as of yet no luck landing one. The spot that I am fising has lots of wood and seems to be quite deep. I fished for an afternoon with the lure in the picture and a gold bomber, but nothing. I have next week off work, so I have set myself a goal (to catch my first barra). I thinking about going to Teemburra dam and trying my luck there.

Cheers Matt

Gator
13-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Keep trying. It's only a matter of time.

Awoonga
14-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Matt.. Teemburra from the shore ? could be hard..cos its hard enough from a boat ::)....

Barraless
14-01-2007, 07:05 AM
OK I had never been there might stick to Tereesa Creek and Bedford Wier then

Matthias
16-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Try luring at night. Try downsizing your lures too. You will pick up smaller fish but will still be a first.

Pete.