PDA

View Full Version : Borumba bass

BLOOEY
15-01-2007, 07:10 PM
GDAY . I have fished Borumba dam a few times now [not having fished the fresh much before] and havent had any luck catching a bass. I have been using lures both surface and sub surface and caught a nice yellowbelly about 1.5 kg on a small purple stump jumper in the Borumba reach, and hooked a big saratoga just off the main basin and a couple of hits on surface lures late in the afernoon from things that have not found the hooks. But cant seem to be able to hook a bass. I am thinking of switching to shrimps as bait around the standing timber but dont really know how deep to fish etc. Any help would be cool.

angler1
15-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Blooey, Have you tried vortex spinner bits,I cast them towards the weed beds letting it sink down the weed face. And with a slow retrieve and some light twitching of the rod tip you should be in luck.I mainly fish the mouth of the Borumba arm and the first yellow drum.Good luck

Cheers,wally

Sandbar
15-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Fished Borumba last thur,fri,sat.Spent the first day and a half casting for 1 GP & 1 Toga.Trolled the main basin Fri arvo for 11 bass & 2hours Sat morning for 22 bass,a few undersised but largest 46cm.

BLOOEY
15-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks Angler, Sand bar ,Sounds good how deep were you trolling .ive bought a couple of small deep divers in purple . What do ya reckon.

cammac
15-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Sandbar,

so u reckon trolling is the way to go there!!??

Sandbar
15-01-2007, 08:41 PM
The water up there is a funny colour at the moment and they are releasing water which
may have shut some of the fish down.We used a variety of lures mainly 3 m divers halco & viper on 6 /8 lb braid,gold purple & elton john?.They all worked.Fished mainly along the banks to avoid the skiers.

BLOOEY
15-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks mate.

tonylmitchell
16-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Guys, I am heading up to Boorumba this weekend to try my luck, I have had very little experience with freshwater fishing as well. Heading up Saturday arvo and leaving by lunch on Sunday. Is it worth while taking the pots for some Redclaw?
At least then I may catch something.
When fishing Freshwater with lures, I have heard that late in the afternoon and early morning is the best, is it worth while staying out a little long into the dark?
Thanks for any advice given.
Tony

scoocer101
16-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Mate u should difinetly take the pots, there are heaps of big boys in there. Of what the locals have told me purple is the go colour for bass and togas. I've found morning fishing is better at times and also u dont get eaten by mosquitoes, but for toga's afternoon fishing is the way to go with small poppers and shallow diving minnows. Here's one bass that couldnt resist a g-vibe.

tonylmitchell
16-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks scoocer,
Looking foward to getting out there!
Tony

BLOOEY
16-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Healthy looking fish how big do they get in there.

flyfisho
16-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey guys I put this under the photo section as well but this fish was taken of the surface in Borumba in one of the small bays in the main basin (when there are no skiers ) been finding them prettty consistantly on the edges of the main basin on fly anyway

coola
16-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice bass on fly well done flyfisho.

coola

flyfisho
17-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I find the bass sucker for fly up there you just seem to be able to keep it in thier face longer either deep or on the surface same with the togas.

BLOOEY
17-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice bass , that fly you are using looks suspiciously like a yabby. Do you normally use such a fly,

Pistol_P
17-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah Spinnerbaits work well at Borumba mate.