PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

mattooty
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
While i was out bream fishing this afternoon i was thinking about how i was going to cook them. And i thought i'd ask just how u all cook your fish?
As a suggestion, i thought we might be able to have either another chat area or even just this thread dedicated to recipes for fish. Because hey, we all need to eat them sooner or later (unless you're a C&R man)
I'll probably put them in foil with oregano, olive oil, lemo slices, basil and salt and pepper. wrap in alfoil and cook for 10-15minz.

Looking forward to some mouthwatering posts.
Matt

lippa
11-03-2006, 06:16 PM
give to wife, go and drink beer, eat when ready, forget to wash up, drink more beer, tell wife she is so lucky that you were prepared to hunt for her dinner, drink more beer (helps with the pain from the fry pan to the back of the head)

brett_rokesky
11-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Cooked in butter, cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon.

Hoges
11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Cooked in butter, cracked pepper and a squeeze of lemon.

NO MORE NEED BE SAID THAT IS PERFECT!

dorado
12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Here's my all time fav Matt. It's for Mangrove Jack poached in an Spicey Asian/Laska Broth. Hope you enjoy it :)

Ingrediants
1 litre chicken stock
60ml Shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon kecap manis
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoons julienne of ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 star anise
1 stick of cinnamon
4 mangrove jack/snapper or Reef Fish fillets (about 200g each), pin-boned
1 bunch baby bok choy, washed and quartered lengthways

Method
Combine all ingredients except fish and bok choy in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes for flavours to infuse.

Strain mixture into a large, deep frying pan, discarding solids. Add fish and cook gently over low heat for 3 minutes or until fish is just cooked through. Carefully remove fish and keep warm, then add bok choy and cook for 1 minute.

Divide fish and bok choy among warm bowls, pour hot broth over and serve immediately.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Oz_Stretch/MJinBroth.jpg

I love eating fresh fish/seafood and I've got plenty of other recipes too if you're interested.
8-)

wetaline
16-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Onya Hoges #:) I'm with you.

I love 'em "Au naturale", after all isn't that why we target certain species? #To taste the different flavours or textures, specific to an individual species. I rarely ever fillet fish even, as I like to eat all of the flesh and I don't mind picking thru the bones (it's not hard if you have technique). #On the other hand I respect other's point's of view on filleting. #I figure the that the fish gave up it's life for me, the least I can do is not waste part of that life (bit spiritual, I know, sorry it's just my slant on things).

Regarding cooking fish, it's nice to "Mix it up" from time to time, I'm not against that at all, but I look at these recipies as Asian food or Indian food etc etc. #And I say gain I'm not against these recipies and methods of preparation at all, in #fact I cook fish that way quite a bit. #But when it comes to enjoying straight fish (no gay jokes please), cook 'em & eat 'em is the way to go.

For instance my all time fave recipe is this one:

Lobster in shell with nothing.

Ingredients:
Lobster
Water
Salt

Method:
Boil water, add salt, add lobster and cook for ten to fifteen minutes depending on size and quantity.

Note:
As a variation, Crabs or Prawns can be substituted for lobster.

And finally, could you imagine putting something in your beer for instance?

dorado
16-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Here's another of my Favs. It's for Whole Baked Magrove Jack but it can be used for other quality fish too. I found this in an old fishing mag a few years ago. I apologise for the image/print quality as it didn't scan very well at the time.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Oz_Stretch/WholeBakedMangroveJack2.jpg

Enjoy! :D

fish-n-dive
17-03-2006, 05:38 PM
give to wife, go and drink beer, eat when ready, forget to wash up, drink more beer, tell wife she is so lucky that you were prepared to hunt for her dinner, drink more beer (helps with the pain from the fry pan to the back of the head)

LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would have posted somthing similar if you hadn't!!!

Cheers 8-)

fish-n-dive
17-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Seriously, I like fish as numus...............more flavour, texture etc.

Cheers, 8-)

szopen
17-03-2006, 06:19 PM
I think this thread wwill be going on for a while.

Steamed fish.

Scale and gut the fish, rinse well.

Rub the fish with salt and a spoon of finely chopped ginger.
Let it rest for a while.

In the meantime.

Chop:
1 spoon of ginger,
2 spoons of garlic,
1 spoon of chinese pickles
handful of spring onions,
2 spoons of fresh coriander

Heat 3 spoons of oil in the soucepan, throw in ginger, garlick and pickles, let it fry for 2 minutes.

Add a spoon of chilli powder, a spoon of fish souce, a spoon of soy souce, chopped spring onions, let it fry another 2 minutes, set aside.

Put the fish in the steamer and cook unitl ready.
Take out.

Reheat the souce and pour over the fish, add a few drops of sezame oil and sprinkle chopped coriander on top.

dorado
17-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Here's a ripper of a recipe for all you Coral Trout fans. From the same fishing mag, different issue.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Oz_Stretch/CoralTroutSatays.jpg
Enjoy! :D

toadie
17-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Depending on how big the fish is i usually stuff where the guts was with lemon pieces and garlic butter.Wrap the fish in a piece of greased aluminium foil then whack it in the oven until cooked.

dorado
17-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Garlic & Ginger Barramundi

Ingredients:
Garlic, Ginger, Shallots & Reef Fish

Prep:
1) lay barra on large sheet/s of alfoil

2) chop the above veg/herbs (garlic, ginger & shallots - to taste or to
your liking )and add to whole barra.

3) mix table spoon of fish sauce & juice of one lemon - then pour on
fish.

4) wrap the fish

Cooking method - either in the oven & steam (open the foil for the last
10minutes of cooking) or on the BBQ.

Alternatives - instead of the above try - lemon grass, coconut milk
instead of lemon juice or a touch of green curry powder.

in cooking methods - ditch the foil and do this straight on the BBQ,
spectacular to see a whole fish on the Barbie.

wiseguy67
18-03-2006, 09:13 AM
1kg skin off fillets of bream bloodline cut out.
Butter and a splash of olive oil in in frying pan
Garlic 3 or 4 cloves crushed
Ginger skinned and crushed
Pepper 1/4 tsp
Lemon large juiced and seeds removed

Set the heat on high add the Garlic and Ginger and Pepper into the HOT oil and butter
Once the garlic has JUST started to go golden add the fillets
cook one side 2 or 3 minutes depending on thickness flip the fillets and add the lemon and give the pan a shake to mix it all up put the lid on turn the heat off and let sit for five minutes max.

Its my favorite way to cook bream and other fish.

My other favorite way is when i have some company I like to take a whole fish 2kg or so and Salt Wrap Bake it.

Dry the fish off with paper towel, load the cavity with herbs fresh is best Rosemary works a treat with some pepper, sliced lemon no skin.

Take 2kg or more sea salt and mix with 2- 3 egg whites or whole eggs and a splash of waterif needed. Herbs can be mixed in the slat as well.
Place a layer of salt mix in the baking dish 2cm thick
place the fish on this
with the remaining salt mix cover the fish evenly the thicker the better up to 3cm
Bake at 200C for 30 to 45 minutes depending on type of fish IE thickness and the type of oven.
It works in a camp oven as well.
To remove the salt crust you will need a hammer :)
Take care in removing the salt crust

This can be used for most anything, lamb, chook etc
And if its done correctly its not salty.

crikey I'm getting hungry