PDA

View Full Version : smoking fish

angler
16-05-2006, 08:24 PM
any one out there smoke there own fish . i have just built a smoker and wanted to know how long you smoke them for and what temperature it should be. all hints can help
john

karana
16-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Well, frankly I ended up buying one of those small stainless steel circular smokers that are foolproof.

I have had smoked fish all around the world and the second best comes from a smokehouse in Craster England.

I use the simple old receipe of rubbing the flesh side with salt and brown sugar then smoking in said smoker and eating immediately for hot or letting it chill in the refrig for about 2 hours for a cold treat.

For normal size and thickness fillets it takes 20 minutes a load.

onerabbit
16-05-2006, 11:31 PM
I've had real trouble keeping them alight, no matter how much tobacco was added.

OOOOOPS, hehehehe

Muzz

Splitpin
16-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Hullo

Tony_N
17-05-2006, 11:36 AM
some info here:

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Cooking/c_smokefish.html

This is mostly using Weber-style BBQ's - still some good info in it.

If you do a search on the camping section of this site you will also find quite a bit of info that will be useful.

Tony

fish2eat
17-05-2006, 11:49 AM
There have been several threads on Ausfish re smoking

Check this one out

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1136567382

Az
17-05-2006, 05:09 PM
# # I've had real trouble keeping them alight, no matter how much tobacco was added.

# # OOOOOPS, hehehehe

# # Muzz

;D there's always one... and I thought it was going to be me :-[ because i find they wet my papers :-X

freddyfish
17-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Gday Angler

If you are using a smoker box and normal size fillets you usually fill the metho burner and let it burn out. The heat generated will mostly smoke and cook the fish

Brad

Dobie_65
17-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Any body with a favourite sawdust or chips

onerabbit
17-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I've been told that banksia men ( the seed pods ) leave a good flavour.
Not really into it myself, although , I have had some smoked eel that was unreal.

Muzz

Tony_N
18-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I have a Pecan nut tree which is part of the hickory family. #Its fantastic - just break up some sticks which are always fallng from the tree, soak them in water for an hour and put them on the coals.

errkkk. #- just realised I won't have access to that anymore - I've just sold the house

Freeeedom
18-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Are you talking hot smoked (a cooking method) or cold smoked (a preserving method)? Different processes with different results but both fantastic for flavour
Cheers Freeeedom

fish2eat
18-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I think we have all assumed he is talking hot smoking, anyone can do that with a wide range of equipment. End result should be eaten within 2 - 3 days.

Now, cold smoking, that's an art form....and you need to be real careful about hygene as the food never gets hot enough to kill bacteria.

Freeeedom
18-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but the product is worth the effort. Smoked salmon is cold smoked, and local oily fish like mullet and tailor are excellent for cold smoking. There used to be a bloke up near Peachester who cold smoked fish and brought it down to sell at the Brisbane Farmers Market. His smoked Tasmanian ocean trout and local spanish mackerel were to die for. Unfortunately, although he made great cold smoked fish his business skills weren't up to it and he closed up shop and quit. I bought the last of the stock from the shop on a visit there a few years back now. Shame really - a place where you could take a good fish and get it professionally cold smoked would be a real asset to SE Qld. Now, there's an idea!
Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom
18-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah - if you don't have a hot smoker you can smoke fish quite well in a wok with a lid.,some alfoil, brown sugar and tea leaves. I keep an old wok just for this purpose and it produces good results every time on whole fish or fillets
Cheers Freeeedom