PDA

View Full Version : Fish Recipe. Thanks Herby

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I didn't see how you cooked this number a while ago, so I winged it. Added a couple of things and still managed to turn it out a treat.

Banana Curry Fish

Ingredients:-

500 gm fish fillets ( cut into chunks )
2 small cav bananas
300ml fresh cream
2 table spoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Chinese 5 spice
½ cup of Sultanas or Cranberries

2 cups long grain rice

Method:-

Cut bananas in small pieces, add bananas, cream, fish, spices to frypan on low heat.
Simmer for 5 minutes then add Sultanas or Cranberries. Stirring occasionally . Allow to simmer for another 5 minutes and the dish is ready.

Of course the rice has been cooking:- Bring water ( with tablespoon of salt added ) to the boil, add rice, stir occasionally for 10 minutes. Drain and wash with hot water.

Lay bed of rice on plate, spoon on Banana Curry Fish and eat. Serves 4.

Best fish for dish is the firmer fleshed ones. I used Trevally and Jew so far.

Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:04 PM
added ingredients

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:05 PM
ready to cook

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:05 PM
cooking

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Ready to eat. Yep, no rice there yet.

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 08:07 PM
That's Gold.................... ;)

Cheers Phill

Hookem_Herby
24-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Good effort Phill, considering you were flying blind. #;D

Try Lady Fingers instead of Cav bananas or hybrids. They are usually a bit sweeter and 2-3 is plenty. Cut them as fine or as chunky as you want. #::)
I usually add the cream to the saucepan first, over medium heat. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and then add the bananas so they get nice and hot and mushy. YUM #:)
Add the curry powder last, I use McKeens but any curry mix will do. Be careful not to over curry the sauce. Depending on the amount of pure cream used, but I usually use 1 tablespoon per 300ml. I tend to judge on taste and colour. #:D
Now, traditionally I grill the fish fillets on the bbq and once cooked, our the sauce over the top.
I usually season the fish with sea salt and 'fan' an whole avocado across the top of the fish fillets/pieces then add the sauce. The avocado is a nice touch on a dinner plate and adds a creamy taste. #;)
Goes well with rice and potatoes (boiled or baked).
Season to taste with lemon/lime and pepper & salt.
I like the sultana idea and might give the ol' chinese 5 spice a go as well. Always goes well with fish and seafood #:o ;)

Quick and easy dish that's very tasty.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Herby

p.s. I'll add a pic of how mine looks soon. Might get married first though. :P :-? :o

thedeckie
24-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Fair Dinkum Phill,Im sure you'd eat anything!!!
Dont know if I could do curry and bananas in the same dish!

Paul

Lucky_Phill
24-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Herby, I knew I'd stuff it up. But, I wasn't in the kitchen when ya cooked it, and I musta had a couple of VB's when ya told me how to cook it.

Might also have something to do with the 3am start we had that day ???? Or was that going to be the next day ? jeez I dunno anymore.

The days at the Agnes M & G seem to run into each other. OK, now that I have the ' correct ' cooking method, I can conjure it up again this week.

And Paul, don't knock it until you've tried it........and I is talkin FOOD here " Feret ". Still on the Fags are we ? :P ;)

How'd ya River trip ( sickie ) go ?

Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
25-04-2006, 11:52 AM
OK, just figured it out Herby.

Here's the deal. for the M & G in October

you catch the fish, cook it and I'll eat it ::) #sounds fair ? # #;)

The big day just just round the corner.

good luck

Phill

theoldlegend
25-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Wonder if Herby has a recipe for moray eel? Anyway, what's wrong with the brand of curry shown in the pic?

All the best for the big day Herby. :)

TOL

DALEPRICE
26-04-2006, 08:15 PM
this is the real mc coy from the last 1770.
im with phill, we need another taste herb!!!!
good post phill, i bet it tasted just as good.
cheers dale
p.s good luck with the wed herby.

Hookem_Herby
02-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Ok, in October Roz and I will run cooking classes if the wind is up again :P ;D
Paul, I was sceptical too the first time I was told what it was but you be the judge come the M&G.
Glad you all liked it, I'm happy to provide you all with a second opinion next time we meet. ;)
The wedding was a success, she said yes and Roz got drunk and danced her socks off. Happy days!

Cheers,
Herby

p.s. 1 week away from Ausfish and it almost killed me, atleast I was able to have a fish inbetween getting hitched. Not sure how I'll survive the honeymoon. ::) :-/

fish-n-dive
03-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, all I can say is "la yummm" ;) I really wanted to lick the screen!!!

Cheers 8-)

roz
04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Wonder if Herby has a recipe for moray eel? #Anyway, what's wrong with the brand of curry shown in the pic?

All the best for the big day Herby. # :)

TOL

I'm going with the Lege here, I feel so passionately about this [smiley=idea.gif] I've actually suggested it on the 'recipe sections poll' running at the moment.

Infact this could be the subject of a poll all on it's own...the nation deserves a CURRIED MORAY EEL [smiley=angryfire.gif] recipe from the Herbster! [smiley=chef.gif].

The wedding was fantastic, the weather was fantastic, the island was a perfect location and everybody had the best time.

Sorry Herb I was not drunk [smiley=beer.gif] I only had 4 pots of champers as there was no VB :o..... and I didn't dance my socks off......... they were black stilletos [smiley=gorgeous.gif].

Roz

Hookem_Herby
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Wonder if Herby has a recipe for moray eel? #Anyway, what's wrong with the brand of curry shown in the pic?

All the best for the big day Herby. # :)

TOL

I'm going with the Lege here, I feel so passionately about this [smiley=idea.gif] I've actually suggested it on the 'recipe sections poll' running at the moment.

Infact this could be the subject of a poll all on it's own...the nation deserves a CURRIED MORAY EEL [smiley=angryfire.gif] #recipe from the Herbster! [smiley=chef.gif].

The wedding was fantastic, the weather was fantastic, the island was a perfect location and everybody had the best time.

Sorry Herb I was not drunk [smiley=beer.gif] I only had 4 pots of champers as there was no VB #:o..... and I didn't dance my socks off......... they were black stilletos [smiley=gorgeous.gif].

Roz

My beloved Weiler, I tell ya what! #::)
Here's my offer: If ANYONE catches a moray eel in October (on the troll or otherwise) #;D I'll #endeavour to cook it up tempura style, curried or pickled ... as you wish! #:P :-*

As for the wedding, was good to have you and Tony there. Glad you had a fun night, even if there was no VB #:o I drank Corona all night so not sure if your claim is true! #:D
Sorry for accusing you of being drunk, I was just gauging your soberness by the way you danced. #;D #:-X ;)

Herby

p.s. Must say, that was a sexy dress and stillettos Roz #:o ;) I doubt we'll see that outfit on the next fishing trip. #:-* 8-)

Az
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
damn, that looks fanastic, unusual but I have to give it a go now ;)

Cheers guys

Az
15-05-2006, 11:12 AM
gave it a whirl and must say i'm impressed, turned out quite well but a firmer fish would have worked well, i used snapper but it held together well enough, tasted great though

I bought some LF Bananas but they weren't the best not quite ripe enough, i found the older mushier ones I had in the fridge were nicer ;)

Thanks again, look forward to hearing some more recipes ;)

Gbanger
15-05-2006, 11:42 AM
i thought moray eels were protected... az where was my invite..

Az
16-05-2006, 03:52 PM
gbanger - funny you said that mel said we should invite you, apparently you were the one who told me about it :P sorry bud, I will next time, maybe keep a few trevors next time for it

Lucky_Phill
20-05-2006, 04:23 PM
OK, I had another shot. added Chilli P O W D E R !

Yee haaaaaa !

and coconut cream milk.

Just keeps gettin better !

Phill

Volcano
30-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Adding coconut cream milk wouls have given it a slitghly "thai" taste to it wouldnt it Phil?
Limes in this are a DEFINITE must do.. If you can get your hands on some fresh Kaffir lime leaves, even better...