szopen
23-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Stumbled onto this.

http://b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

Tried.

Works very well.

Freeeedom
23-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I LOVE a good poached egg - the trouble is that a lot of the eggs you buy these days are not the freshest, so you have to get around this.
Here is my method after thousands of trials and years of research -works almost all the time (unless the egg is VERY stale).
Place the frying pan on the heat and fill with water to at least 3 cm deep. Add a teaspoon of salt (for taste) and 2 tablespoons of vinegar (to help set the egg proteins more quickly). When the water has come to a good boil place your egg(s) into the water (still in the shell) and gently roll them around in the boiling water for 20 seconds. This starts to solidify the white (in a less than fresh egg and helps the egg stay together when you break it into the water). Turn the heat down to low. After 20 seconds remove the egg(s) and stir the water in the pan to create the whirlpool effect. Break the eggs one at a time into the middle of the vortex. When all the eggs are in the pan turn off the heat and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Leave untouched for 3-5 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs) while you cook your toast. Lift out the egg(s) onto the hot buttered toast, top with a touch of tomato sauce and slice or two of parmesan cheese shavings and enjoy! Heaven!!!!
Cheers Freeeedom

szopen
23-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Freeeedom,

I will try your way tommorow.

Will hold you personally responsible if it does not work. ::)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
23-03-2006, 10:02 PM
The eggs I get from my sister are covered in chook shit. Can't imagine poached eggs would taste good after being cooked in that. :)

Cheers
Dave

Tony_N
24-03-2006, 05:36 AM
When I was a kid, my mum had a frypan that had a (removable) flat roof with approx. 70mm dia. round holes in it. #There were these little round bottomed trays with handles that nestled into the holes and the bottoms of these sat in the boiling water in the fry pan. #The frying pan also had a lid. #The eggs that came out of that did not look like a dog's breakfast and it was easy to clean. # I think I might try to buy one of these today because I've been eating too many fried eggs.

MODIFIED

Found a pic of this (much more modern) version that will explain it better

fish2eat
24-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Cooking a perfect poached egg without one of the devices in TonyN's post is the Mt Everest of cooking. My daughter, who is an apprentice chef came over one day to show me how, and made a complete stuff up.

Its the golf equivalent of a hole-in-one.....but my mother also had one of those plastic devices, probably Tupperware, and although cheating, made perfect poached eggs every time.....now, where can I get one?

szopen
24-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Freeedom,
Have stumbled on the same problem Reel Nauti mentions. Did not wont to go through the whole egg washing procedure.

I know that the special pan inserts work well, I have one, I also heve one that you can use in microwave to cook an egg without fireworks.

I thought the procedure described in my first post is a good camping idea.

rando
24-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Not strickly a poaced egg, but, Gooood.

use a heavy based small to medium pan with a lid.

warm some butter till it foams and the foam STARTS to brown
( beurre noisette for the cuisiniere's amongst you.)
crack your egg into the pan ,
you can use an egg ring if neccessary
and immediately add 2 teaspoons of a GOOD wine vinegar , red or white ,even balsalmic , doesnt matter.
Quickly cover the pan and let the steam generated by the vinegar hitting the hot pan "poach" the egg. turn the heat off as soon as you get good steam.
Season with salt /pepper and fresh chopped basil ,yum,yum

rando
24-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Now here is the real deal on Poached Googs.

Firstly
If you want a good poached egg , the egg has to be FRESH. laid today for preference

The water must be deep enough so that the egg does not sit on the pan.

the water must be" fizzing "( like gentle champagne bubbles,,,, not a rolling boil )
good pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons quality vinegar.

Dont make a vortex( that only throws egg white everywhwere)

GENTLY tip your egg in and cover the pan.
Thats all folks!!

Gorilla_in_Manila
24-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Tony,
There must have been a sale in Northen NSW of the anodised aluminium egg poachers you described about 40 years ago - my mum and grandmother at Byron both still have theirs. Most of the little bakalite handles have broken off my mum's though.
Trouble was you had to put so much margerine in the cups to stop the egg from sticking to the bare aluminium, that you may as well have fried them. The newer teflon coated ones are better.

But an interesting topic, as I love a good poached egg - or "bum nut" as a mate calls them. ::)
I have for a long time wanted to know how people poach eggs that come out looking like the were just left to free float in the water. Stayed in a hotel in Jakarta last year that served them on the breakfast buffet as eggs benedict and I can tell you, benedict really did a good job of them - had their own little cut down personal piece of toast under them and the sauce on top. It soon became my favourite couple of days in the week when these were put out, but then some management type decided that there was a risk of catching bird flu from cooked eggs (WTF?) so they dissappeared. :'(
Never got to see the method coz they were prepared in the kitchen and brought out in trays. The dude standing out in the restaurant knocking up omelettes and fried eggs never seemd to poach any.

Now having checked out szopen's link, I'm going to have to do a few experiments. Have never heard of using vinigar, so will have to try that also.

I have a vague memory of watching a chinese fella in Malaysia poaching one in a wok of simmering water about 10 years ago. I think he might have cracked the egg into a metal ladle, lowered the ladle onto the surface of the boiling water, spooned a couple of tablespoons of hot water onto the top of the egg to get it partly set, then released it to swim and finish poaching. Haven't thought about this until now, and have never tried it - might have to give that a go as well.

Hang ON! Hold the bus! The missus (phillipino) just walked in asked what I'm typing and explained how she would poach an egg - I have no idea why I have never asked her before, just assumed she only knew how to fry them; she just said she had always assumed I liked my eggs fried, so never offered to poach them. (Cripes been together 5 years, married for 3 and never knew she could do the free floater egg trick.) I've placed tomorrow's breakfast order. :)
Anyway, the method is - a frypan with a few inches of barely simmering water in it with a pinch of salt and a splash of vingar (wouldn't you know it). Crack the egg into a bowl and gently pour it into the water - sort of let the water wash into the bowl and float the egg out as you are pouring it. Make sure the water is not bubbling away like hell, or it will turn the egg into roadkill.

So, gotta see this. Could take pics I guess if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Jeff

szopen
24-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Looks like a poached egg rulez

rod_m27
24-03-2006, 09:55 PM
post some pics of her eggs Gorilla, just want to see what u missed out on for 3 years. :)

Tony_N
25-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Sorry Gorilla - but I hope your missus can't do it 'cos #I just bought a u-beaut model (teflon) poacher yesterday :D . I'd be really pinged if the solution is as easy as it seems. #I really like the idea of the ladle - what a brilliantly simple way around the problem of the curdled goop in the water. I'd also love to see the pics if you can manage it, Gorilla

Anyway the Rolls Royce method works a treat. #I had 2x 800grammers this AM on toast with diced tomato garlic and basil. #I also love em with tomato and baked beans or tomato and mushrooms - #or The Works - Yum. #I'm so glad that eggs are off the hook re cholesterol #(and if thats since been disproven - please DO NOT inform me)

Szopen - this is the hottest item on Camping since "What Have You Smoked?" #::)

cheers

Tony

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-03-2006, 09:14 AM
you don't need a device when camping

take a suitable piece of aluminium foil mold it around a soup ladle, spray grease the inside & flatten the base slighty, put the egg inside ready to go

bring camp oven with a couple cms of water to boil lower the eggs in put the lid in & wait for 3 mins

the eggs just fall out of the foil & the only washing up is your plate which you already have hot water for ...

JEWIENEWIE
25-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Have been a breaky chef for about ten years, keep it simple boys as it is very simple. Use a deep fry pan, as it is easier to retrieve egg when done. put about 3inches of water in it with a little white vinegar, bring to a rapid SIMMER, not boil, crack egg into cup first bevause if egg is off, the water will be useless. as mentioned above get a vortex happening, not critical but helps, gently pour egg into middle, leave for around 2 to 3 minutes, depends if you like them soft or hard. use a sppon with holes in it to retrive egg, drain off excess water or soggy toast will be a sure thing. It is a huge advantage to use a teflon coated fry pan or the egg may stick to bottom.
Jeez boys now i feel like bacon and eggs!!
Jewienewie

Gorilla_in_Manila
25-03-2006, 02:08 PM
post some pics of her eggs Gorilla, just want to see what u missed out on for 3 years. :)

Rod,
What have I been missing out on for 3 years? Not much going on this mornings effort. ;D ;D ;D
Hope she doesn't read this.

All went a bit pear-shaped this morning.
Had the pan on, fine bubbles just forming ... ooops, no vinegar.
Turn off pan, go get some vinegar.
Turn pan on again. Get camera. Hmm .... low battery, ok might get a shot or two out of it.
Hurry up says I to wife, low battery.
Wife gets stage fright (coz I told her everyone in australia is going to be looking at these pics ;)) and with the added low battery pressure from me, egg goes in too early before the water had heated up enough.
Gorilla goes to take picture and finds camera has shut down. [smiley=dunce.gif]
Result Bumnut1: sinks to bottom of pan, flattens out and looks just like a fried egg without the grease. see left hand egg below. :-/
Bumnut2, wife cracks it into small bowl and breaks the yolk. Don't blame her for this coz there is more pressure than performing for American Idol at this stage.
Result Bumnut2: Egg tipped into a cup ... proceed to BackupBumnut2a. I think #2 sort of got thrown in at some stage later when I wasn't looking and some of the remnant yolk can be seen on the top left of the right hand piece of toast.
Bumnut2a gets cracked into the bowl, yolk in tact ... a good start.
Gorilla, checks water is starting to simmer, issues stage instructions to wife, checks stage lighting, check makeup and sound level, gets poised with camera, turns camera on, yells ACTION! Camera takes photo but didn't have enough time or power to get itself focused, and action shot of tipping the egg in comes out looking like Bumnut2 looks in its cup ... all sort of vague blurred yellowy bits.
Result Bumnut2a: not too bad, see right hand egg on right hand toast. Not up to Benedict of Jakarta's standard, but there is potential.
Camera battery managed to find it's last reserves for the the results photo.

Wife has gone for a lie down to get over the stress, camera goes to have a well earned drink from the charger, Gorilla feels obliged to eat the results of the Poached Egg Disaster of 25th March 06, wondering if it it wise to post the results. ;) ;D

Probably not real wise, but since it has seldom stopped me before ... here you go. ;)

Cheers
Jeff

Tony_N
25-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Jeez

I hope it wasn't my wishing it wasn't going to work in my last post that caused all that drama. Great post Jeff, what a hoot, and they look pretty good - not as professional as the u-beaut, mind you, but as you say there is certainly potential there.

tony

StevenM
25-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok Tony,

You need to have poached eggs for breaky as I wanna see what the you beaut model (teflon) job turns out.

After reading this this morning I went and made two eggs for beaky (fried in cast iron Frypan using spray oil) but I love poached eggs and allways order them when I travel.

Cheers

Steven

coxy
25-03-2006, 11:47 PM
My wife did poached eggs benedict this morning... turned out super. She did the vinegar trick, but broke the eggs into a cup first and then added them one at a time, also made the hollandaise sauce:

3 egg yolks
100 g butter (melted and bubbling)
1/2 tsp lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice

You just wip it up in the food processor. It was an awesome breakfast, that with the ham on fresh muffins and she did mushrooms and spinach as well!

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Tony,
Yep life is a hoot. If it's not, you are going to peg out unhappy! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Spent the afternoon at the Manila 10's rugby, so life is pretty damn good right now, and eggs are the last of my worries,
But will get back to the ausfish camping eggs as soon as I sober up.... promise! .... maybe wednesday. ha ha ha ;D
I might even not get sideways 2morrow during the finals, just 2 tackle the eggs for camping chat. ::) ::)
Gotta get your priorities right!!! ;D

Tony_N
26-03-2006, 06:58 AM
(2nd attempt)

Ok Tony,

You need to have poached eggs for breaky as I wanna see what the you beaut model (teflon) job turns out.

Cheers

Steven

OK Steven, here you go: 3 pics.

I have to say that this mornings cooking session wasn't hiccup-free. Like Jeff's missus, Ithink I mustof got stage-fright. the eggs were both big double yolkers and were a bit much material for the small cups, so a bit of spilled egg-white on the cup-holding tray. Then I overboiled the water and covered the eggs in bubbling boiling water and then in all the excitemet I forgot to cook the toast. glad i didn't take the boat out this morning - she'd be sunk by now :)

Pic1 Starting to cook

Tony_N
26-03-2006, 06:59 AM
pic 2 - they're done

Tony_N
26-03-2006, 07:00 AM
pic 3 - no toast :-/

Freeeedom
26-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Where are the nipples?
Cheers Freeeedom

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-03-2006, 07:45 AM
GARNISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christ ...

whats happened to Hard-Men camping

cooking animal flesh & eggs in beef dripping or the lard of a fat pig on an open flame until its black and crunchy !!

the vast amount of lubricant used to cook negated the need for fibre in a man's diet ....
things just slipped through.

our camp cooking is beginning to reflect cowboy films of late # [smiley=cowboy.gif] :-*

;)

its looks great Tony !

StevenM
26-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Nice work Tony,

Have you got your own chooks mate or what. Havent seen a double yoker for about a year let alone two.

Going away for a week tomorrow down to Melbourne for work, hope that have poached eggs on the menu for breaky.

Cheers

Steven

wewak1111
26-03-2006, 08:47 PM
GORILLA,

IVE SEEN BETTER EGGS IN A SPERM BANK! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TONY,

NICE PLATE UP....U WON ME! 8-)

Cheers Graeme, ( Oops Capitals) :-[

Tony_N
27-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Trouble was you had to put so much margerine in the cups to stop the egg from sticking to the bare aluminium, that you may as well have fried them. The newer teflon coated ones are better.
Jeff

Even with the teflon ones, I found that a little spray of extra virgin olive oil before putting the eggs in, though not an essential part of the processs, does help them release from the cup thingy. This is NOT as bad as frying them, or even bad at all. First, a smidgin of olive oil never hurt anybody and second, the BAD of frying is the conversion of good oils to bad oils at frying temperature which is considerably higher than 100 degrees C (the boiling point of water, ie the poaching temperature of the oil). At this temperature the oil stays in its "good" state (Wow, this bloke has the technical jargon down pat) You might just have to take my word for that - but if anybody really wants a source for that info, I might be able to find it. I think it might be in Cabots "The Liver Cleansing Diet"

Thought I'd better fess up to using the oil :)

As both Szopen and Chris have suggested, this board is about camping and the device is really a bit BMW for that - but I got more carried away with the topic heading: "The perfect poached egg"

cheers

Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila
27-03-2006, 11:31 AM
GORILLA,

IVE SEEN BETTER EGGS IN A SPERM BANK! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Graeme, #( Oops Capitals) :-[ #

Mate, don't know what sort of sperm banks you normally hang around, but if they are keeping eggs there, they might want to call themselves an egg bank. ;)

Tony,
Yeah bit of poetic licence there about the amount of marg, and obviously not as bad as fried. The point was more about the sticky old bare aluminium cups.
Might have to have a go at the ladle method sometime soon ... reckon it will benefit from a light spray of oil or wipe of marg on the spoon or ladle, but guess most oil will just float off in the water.
Cheers
Jeff
PS square plates and garnish ... you camp at the Hilton or what? ;) ;D

Freeeedom
27-03-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't know. Using the steamer with the little cups to make 'poached' eggs is a little bit like using worm pliers to catch beach worms - not the real deal!
Cheers Freeeedom

Tony_N
27-03-2006, 07:16 PM
yeh, yeh, I know - real fair dinkum blokes like you guys wouldn't even dream of eating quiche. Sheeesh! #I already explained that what I was saying wasn't so much about camping as trying to get poached eggs that at least looked #edible. Mumble, mumble. There orta be a finger smilie :)

Tony

szopen
27-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Tony,

I would say that the eggs on your pics look just fine.
Better than edible.

I would add a few drops of Maggi souce and they would be perfect.

To anybody who critisizes I would just say: Show me yours!!!

So far you are winning this poached egg thingy hands down.

Now a question regarding from a post up this thread:

"Anyway the Rolls Royce method works a treat. I had 2x 800grammers this AM on toast with diced tomato garlic and basil."

Is that a typo (800grammers) or you guys have some serious sized chickens down under??????????

Freeeedom
27-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Ok, OK pics to come. As soon as I get back from a weeks camping at Burrum Heads (and cooking true poached eggs for breakfast)
Cheers Freeeedom

Tony_N
28-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Phew, thanks Szopen - I was starting to feel like a bit of a Mary :) Mate, the 800grams is for the dozen, each egg guaranteed to be in excess of 67 grams.

goodonya freeeedom - remember now, no modcons like stoves or toasters or plates or knives and forks and saucepans or axes for the wood or matches - I'd like to see the REAL BLOKE'S poached eggs without all the flash "modern" equipment ;D (just shitstirring )

Tony

finga64
28-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Gees Tony, bung about 1/4kg bacon and some mushies on that and I'll come down from Brissy for breaky...as long as you have a nice cup of tea and some thick toast to go with it. ;)

P.S. we have quiche all the time..The cook is french :D

I brought my mum one of those electric poachers when I first started work all those years ago. She still has it and still uses it every Sunday. :)

mikl
30-03-2006, 01:31 PM
A newby on here, but an oldy in the general scheme of things.
Just wanted to say (without offence) that the little gadgets with a handle to cook an egg over water dosn't produce a "poached " egg, but a "coddled" egg.
The true chef's poached egg is the one slightly cooked in its shell first then gently broken into simmering and stirred water. This produces an almost egg shaped result. Looks the goods, but dont taste any better!
Can't beat a couple of poached eggs on fire toast for a great start to the days fishing.
mikl.

Gorilla_in_Manila
31-03-2006, 12:45 PM
By jove ..... I think she's got it!
No camera pressure during the cooking. ;)

szopen
31-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Looks good.

Tony_N
01-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Yeh Jeff - that looks the goods alright. Given what Miki said, I think your missus now wears the crown undisputed. I do prefer coddled eggs though :D

Tony

StevenM
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Howdy Guys,

good to see that the topic is still getting replys. Just got back from a week long business trip and I had poached eggs Every Day while I was away. Never got a chance to slip into the kitchen to see how they were done but were great

BTW gorrilla, mums got it. Such a work of art, seems a shame to slice the little sucker up

how many attempts did it take to get that one.

Cheers

Steven

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
BTW gorrilla, mums got it. Such a work of art, seems a shame to slice the little sucker up

how many attempts did it take to get that one.

Cheers

Steven

Steven, my wife actually, but thats the first time I've had poached eggs again since the previous post. The second egg wasn't quite so perfect, but still pretty good. Seems as long as I don't apply the camera pressure, all ok.

Yes it looked great, but it tasted great also. ;)

Was talking about this thread with a mate over a few beers yesterday arvo (yeah yeah, I know I gotta get a life.. ::) ) and he was telling me about the most fantastic poached eggs this other chef mate of his does back in aus. Started telling me this method of cracking the egg into a bowl of refrigerated water first, then using a special spoon to tranfer it to the simering water.
Well, we had had a few beers and he was a bit vague on the directions, so not too sure whether I want to have a go at that. But it got me thinking that cooling the eggs first might help them to hold togther when you pour them into the simmering water. Our bum nuts are kept in the fridge, so that might help in keeping it well formed when the missus releases it for a swim.
Just a thought for anyone having a go at this.
Hope to see some others attempts soon.

Cheers
Jeff

Freeeedom
07-04-2006, 07:51 AM
My samples as promised. Sorry - all out of bacon
Cheers Freeeedom

Freeeedom
07-04-2006, 07:54 AM
White just set, yolk nice and runny. Yummmm!!!!
Cheers Freeeedom

Tony_N
08-04-2006, 06:33 AM
Yeh Freeeedom, you weren't just blowin'. You know your stuff. These are beeudiful! Now what about sharing the technique? How do you get those nice round edges without some sort of containment? Did the whites get a little trim before the pic?

Freeeedom
08-04-2006, 07:44 AM
No Tony - the secret is to get a really good swirl going so that you get a nice whirlpool, then drop the egg gently into the middle of the vortex. (I actually cooked these in a small saucepan to get the good presentation for the photo). The whirlpool holds the egg tightly together while it sets and you get the nice clean look. The little bit of extra white you can just see but it's only a tiny bit. Note that I didn't rate these eggs as terribly fresh but they still turned out OK
Cheers Freeeedom

bdowdy
11-04-2006, 06:48 PM
:)freeeedom im coming to your place for brekky that looks awesome. good work cheers bdowdy ;D ;)

chanquetas
20-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Now here is the real deal on Poached Googs.

Firstly
If you want a good poached egg , the egg has to be FRESH. laid today for preference

The water must be deep enough so that the egg does not sit on the #pan.

the water must be" fizzing "( like gentle champagne bubbles,,,, not a rolling boil #)
good pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons quality vinegar.

Dont make a vortex( that only throws egg white everywhwere)
#
GENTLY tip your egg in and cover the pan.
Thats all folks!!

I did exactly this Rando, and got the PERFECT egg. I can see the point of the vortex but its not necessary.
Now why did I get this old before learning how to cook bloody eggs?

otleyj
20-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Freeeedom,

I'm a convert for your egg poaching style. #Have tried it a few times now. #Found the first couple I left 'in the shell' too long for the preheat and had the egg white cooking on the inside of the shell. #10- 15 seconds worked well for me. #

Dropping them into the centre of the vortex also works well in keeping the white all together. #

Thanks for the good tip.

Joel

I LOVE a good poached egg - the trouble is that a lot of the eggs you buy these days are not the freshest, so you have to get around this.
Here is my method after thousands of trials and years of research -works almost all the time (unless the egg is VERY stale).
Place the frying pan on the heat and fill with water to at least 3 cm deep. Add a teaspoon of salt (for taste) and 2 tablespoons of vinegar (to help set the egg proteins more quickly). When the water has come to a good boil place your egg(s) into the water (still in the shell) and gently roll them around in the boiling water for 20 seconds. This starts to solidify the white (in a less than #fresh egg and helps the egg stay together when you break it into the water). Turn the heat down to low. After 20 seconds remove the egg(s) and stir the water in the pan to create the whirlpool effect. Break the eggs one at a time into the middle of the vortex. When all the eggs are in the pan turn off the heat and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Leave untouched for 3-5 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs) while you cook your toast. Lift out the egg(s) onto the hot buttered toast, top with a touch of tomato sauce and slice or two of parmesan cheese shavings #and enjoy! Heaven!!!!
Cheers #Freeeedom

BBRambo
03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
what a crackup..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

the perfect egg ;)

Dory4.1
24-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Stumbled onto this.

Tried.

Works very well.

I tried the cling wrap approached described in SZOPEN's post, it worked for me as well, and the added bonus is that it is also easy to clean up after, just throw the used wrap away, and your left with a saucepan of clean hot water. Brilliant.

MyEscape
01-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Are you blokes for real! I've never seen so much said about a couple of poached eggs on a chat board and particularly one titled "Camping Chat"

So what do we talk about around the camp fire, "oh yes, I made the most beautiful poached eggs this morning"

The conversation should perhaps be more about "I caught the biggest fish"

Steve
PS - you need really fresh eggs for your poached eggs by the way

a_big_red_1
01-07-2006, 11:44 AM
G'day all, i have read all this,and found it intersesting (SP) now this morning i tried to make some poached eggs, got water boiling put vinegar in, swerl the water and so on, but when i put the egg in. the egg white seperated from the yoke :-/ i did this with a few eggs and same thing..........what did i do wrong???? after reading all the ways you guys have been doing it i was thinking, surely cant be that hard..............boy was i wrong................any tips?
thanx
Daz

MyEscape
02-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I think you need fresh eggs. Have the water in the pan fairly hot, bubbling,not boiling.

just because you bought the eggs from the shop doesn't mean they are fresh. Take a drive in the country, buy some really fresh eggs. Or better still, get some chooks.

Steve

Freeeedom
02-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah - agree 100%. If the white separates from the yolk and the water looks like a bowl of milk then your egg was stale. I get my eggs from a local fruit shop that sells free range eggs and they're pretty good most of the time, but I still get the odd stale one.
I had a look at the
web site. Turned me right off - looked like a used condom.
To me it's important that the water be in direct contact with the egg during poaching so that the salt and the vinegar can do their thing during the cooking so that you get that beautiful combination of flavours in the final product
Cheers Freeeedom

a_big_red_1
03-07-2006, 06:29 AM
I think you need fresh eggs. #Have the water in the pan fairly hot, bubbling,not boiling.

just because you bought the eggs from the shop doesn't mean they are fresh. #Take a drive in the country, buy some really fresh eggs. #Or better still, get some chooks.

Steve

ok, got me some new chooks, now waiting for the eggs, :P

PS: how long do i have to wait :-?

MyEscape
05-07-2006, 05:54 AM
I suppose it depends on how big they are. Sometimes when you get day old chooks you have to wait around 5 months for them to lay!

But the ones we got now lay almost every day.

Steve

Jack_Ass
10-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Those chooks laid any eggs yet?? ::)
I reckon the sales of cackle berries went throught the roof beacuse of this post

a_big_red_1
10-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Those chooks laid any eggs yet?? ::)
LOL, not as yet J/A, they are a bit young me thinks, another month or two i hope :-/

onerabbit
10-07-2006, 04:48 PM
What a crazy read,,,eggs!!!!

When I lived on the farm I devised a slightly different way of poaching eggs, which the kids named "drowned eggs".

We had chooks so the eggs would have been fairly fresh.

Using a cast iron frypan, get the pan & lid hot (this was easy on a wood stove), using a very small amount of oil, break your eggs straight into the pan, wait 30 seconds or so, chuck on the lid & pour about 100-150 mls of BOILING water, be careful of the steam. Only takes a minute or so, when the steam is gone your are left with perfect eggs that are still a bit snotty on the inside, much like freedoms pics.

Sounds crazy , but it works,

Muzz