PDA

View Full Version : Cooking pippies?

Dug
13-11-2005, 12:11 AM
I know #this has been discussed but I cannot find them :(

does anyone know where they are or any good ones?

PS I was delighted to find a good number of pippies on Coolum beach today.

I will go back when I have some spare time and get some.

Dug
13-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Ok so I drown Margo in beer so she doesn't notice the sand?

What about the Pippies?

I guess I use them for bait like god intended ;) ;D ;D ;D

cheers doug

PS hey i just noticed we are both platinum members !!!!!!

Derek_Bullock
13-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Here is the old thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1087985495/0

Derek

Dug
13-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks Derek

Heath
14-11-2005, 10:52 PM
had some up in cairns. Picked them up off the beach & put them in fresh water for a bit. Cooked them. Quiet nice actually. Taste like an oyster but not as strong.

Oh yeah the sand is a bitch! ;D

cabfisher
18-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Why bother to waist you time cooking them they tast Yuk and nothing like a lovely Oyster not in the same boatI love Oyster but not Pippys
Cheers Harry Ps thats just my opion

Duyz72
18-11-2005, 05:43 PM
So how did your efforts go? Tantalise your taste buds . . . . . or give you a stomach ache????

slugo
18-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Dug Just eat them straight out of the shell live.. well I dont but when I do tour work on the beach the asians eat them straight from the shell guts and all and they bring there own hot chilly sauce to go with them. when you crack the pippies open some have small crabs inside them and they get eaten too. yuck

reevesey
21-11-2005, 08:29 PM
We like to cook them in a mornay sauce and make pies out of them.

LoveLutjanids
22-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Tried stir frying them after leaving a heap in a bucket of fresh water for a few hours.. maby it was me.. maby it was the pippies but sorry, im not gonna give up the big blacklip oysters for em just yet! (found out overnight is alot better in the fresh water too!) Cheers

2iar
22-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Have to agree - you could live on them, but they're far better used for catching something much tastier.

Mike

Skipsta
27-11-2005, 12:21 AM
They're real good as patties, mix them up with grated potato, egg and flour and fry them on a hotplate ;)

Smailesy
12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
try this guys yummo put them in a bucket of fresh water until you see sand on the bottom of the bucket give them another couple hours to clean open them up cut the black of if there is any put them into instant batter then flower then hot oil in a pan very tasty but im usely drunk at dinner time when im up the beach so evry thing tastes good when your hammerd

Freeeedom
13-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Leave them in a bucket of clean sea water for 24 hours if possible to purge the sand from them. Make sure the water is cool or change it several times (especially in summer).
I cook them in two different ways - both delicious.

1. Barbecue - throw them whole on a very hot barbecue grill, or hot coals from a campfire. Cook until they open and get a little bit of colour on the meat. Eat straight from the shell - hard to beat!

2. Deep fried - remove from the shell and rinse. With a skewer pierce the black part 2 or 3 times (if you don't they will explode during cooking - believe me, I've got scars to prove it). Now flour, egg and breadcrumbs in the usual way - I do this in batches by shaking in plastic bags so you can do it quickly. Deep fry until golden, using an anti-splatter cover if you have one. A deep fryer is even better because they are enclosed and prevent oil splashes from the explosions. I like them with just a touch of salt and a tartare sauce for dipping. These are truly delicious and everyone whose (reluctantly) tried them has come back for more.

Cheers Freeeedom

Az
13-07-2006, 03:49 PM
they're not too bad raw either

shayned
17-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Firstly, take the pippi raw out of it's shell and marinate for a few minutes in salt water, then marinate for another couple of minutes in a nice fresh whiting. Step 2, scale and gut the marinade and lightly toss with butter and lemon over a medium heat. Take off the heat and serve with a fresh garden salad.
And walah ze perfect pippi!!! ;)

grenadier
19-07-2006, 09:01 AM
i put them in freshwater overnite so they spit all the sand out then put them on the bbq plate wait until they open then put a bit of garlic butter in wait til it melts then eat

bloody beautiful as far as pippies go