PDA

View Full Version : cooking a kingy

boodo
14-07-2006, 06:14 PM
hey lads, i love to chase kingys and was after anyone who has any recipies of cooking these brutes they are a awesome sport fish but i wouldnt mind sampling a couple on the plate.

Noelm
17-07-2006, 09:37 AM
there is a dozen ways to cook a Kingfish, just remember that to not overcook as it can be dry, but just simply battered or crumbed is as good as any , just cut into smallish pieces, not too thick so it will cook quick

DeeGee
17-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Boodo,
You could be very disapointed with your first kingy fillet. They seem to be consistently OK when taken from colder waters in Southern NSW, or Victoria, but fish from warmer waters like the North coast or Qld often go mushy when cooked.
Others cook up well and are firm & moist if cooked properly (as Noel said, hot & fast is the way to go). So don't give up on them if the first one is mushy.

I don't know of any way to tell if a fish is going to be OK or RS except to cook a piece of it and see what happens - they seem to be one thing or the other, with no in between. You need to try a piece before you plan a meal around one.

My experience was that the larger the fish, and the warmer the water, the more likely it was to be RS and that smaller fish taken in winter were more likely to be OK.

Cheers Deegee.

wayne_cook
17-07-2006, 06:09 PM
What Degree is talking is a parisite that releases an enzyme when affected by heat .It is more common in warmer waters and the larger the fish.
It is difficult to tell if the flesh is soapy until heat is applied.

I prefer smaller rather than large kings to eat.Bleed upon capture then slurry.
Fillet ,skin,& debone cut into cocktail size pieces deep fry in your favorite beer batter.

Hard to beat YUM YUM!!!!

onerabbit
18-07-2006, 12:55 AM
All through my 11-15 yrs my mum used to buy kings from The Haven co-op, I always had to cut them up.
The bigger ones were cheaper, but I still thought they tasted better than the smaller ones. bigger , 10-15 kg plus.

Being older & (I hope ) wiser, I still reckon bigger kings are better to eat than smaller ones, 10 kg plus, same for dolphinfish.

Might just be me,

Muzz

truck_hunter
14-08-2006, 07:36 PM
G,DAY BOODO i caught a 50 pounder,what i done was cut it into steak,s & placed a piece in a plastic bag of flour just enough to coat & placed in HOT pan with butter plain & simple cheers mate!! ;) :)