PDA

View Full Version : frozen fish

Crisp_Bee
26-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Gday
I'm very new to this site, and very new to catching enough fish to put in a freezer.
First time out into deep water I did manage to catch some good red throat Emporers.
I have still got one left in the freezer from last September. (long time I know) :-[

Everyone tells me you should not keep fish too long in the freezer.... but what is the problem with keeping long time.
Any Ideas..on cooking... I still feel a 2 kg #lipper is too god to use as crab bait. :'(

onerabbit
26-07-2006, 07:09 PM
What we do is fillet & skin all fish, what is to be frozen should be packed in packs enough for a feed in GOOD QUALITY freezer bags & then re-wraped in another bag with 2 or 3 packs in each.
This should stop most freezer burn, use within 3-4 months.

Muzz

Crisp_Bee
27-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks Muzz,
I have not thawed out the fish yet. So I do not know what to expect.
But what does "Freezer Burn" do to the fish.
Is it dried out like old leather? and tough as, :'(
Or does it turn the texture of the fish to SLUDGEy slime when thawed.
Could the fish still be used in say a curry? or fish cakes or use it to make a sauce or stock. :P
Would it poison me? or make me ill? smell bad or make my teeth fall out (my hair has already)
Any ideas would be appreciated :)

I sure don't want the bait option, :-X if there is a better solution I would likt to try it

nev-e
27-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi,
I have thawed and eaten frozen fish, both fillets and whole, that have been in the freezer for up to two years. No ill effects ( deckie would probably disagree) and they were fine to cook and eat.
Little bit of freezer burn on some fillets but I just trimmed this off and used the rest. As long as it has not thawed and been re frozen should be ok.
PS Maybe that's what caused me to go bald??

Crisp_Bee
27-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks Nev-e,
I think those crabs are gunna miss out.
I just don't want to invite a few friends over and poison them.

Smailesy
26-08-2006, 10:10 AM
give some to the cat if he falls over dont eat it