PDA

View Full Version : Onions

ronnieandbill
30-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi All
Just wondering???? We've had spuds and heaps of fish recipes but whats everyones favorite way to cook an onion.
Here's mine.
Slice or dice a couple of large onions, chop some bacon, 1/2 red and green capsicum, some button mushrooms and fry in some butter. Great with some steak or on the barbie.

Let me know how you guys like to do yours.

Ronnie

Punkin
01-09-2006, 05:44 AM
BBq onoins are simple for me.
Slice thin combine with lancashire relish, ground pepper and a touch of sesame oil. leave for a couple of hours and then BBq till just brown.

For top mushies try the cream of the mushroom crop, Oyster Mushrooms 8-)

Slice into halves or thirds for the big ones, leave the little ones whole, cut off 2/3 of the stems, toss with chopped bacon, sliced red onion, chilli paste, cracked pepper and salt, a splash of olive oil and a big nob of butter.
BBq or fry till tender and serve on a rare fillet steak ::) ;)
Mushies are more like steak than the steak is...

mitch_05
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
interesting idea, there should be some goos responses

Volvo
05-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Onions without bein burnt ;)..On the barbi or plain ole frypan. Sprinkle ample salt whilst slowly grilling/frying with the use of ye ole vegy oil.
This stops the onions from going black or bein burnt..
AS fer how i likes to eat em???..Sliced onions and capsicums/peppers via the method above and when near ready n nice n soft toss is heaps of sweet chillie sauce and stir/mix then drop the contents ontop of a medium to rare Scotch Fillet..
Enough steak ta make ya 8-) :-? ;) errrrrr burp a wee bit with the odd passing of lets say a good feed ;D...
Cheers
PS dont let the onions or capsicum/peppers sit..keep on the stir...

t-bird
05-09-2006, 07:02 PM
A little different but really tasty

peel a whole brown and lop off the top third
scoop out the inside of the remaining two thirds being careful not to pierce the sides
chop up the scooped out inside, mix with cream, grated cheese and season with salt and pepper
spoon onion mixture back into cavity
wrap a piece of bacon around the side of the filled onion securing with a skewer
bake in a 200 degree oven for 15-20 minutes

bewdiful!!!!!!!

ronnieandbill
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
gee guys
these sound great, especially the last one. Hope we get some more ideas.
Ronnie

blaze
05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
remove from garden, top and tail, skin
slice and eat
cheers
blaze

Punkin
06-09-2006, 06:07 AM
More steak toppings thanks to Macedonian relliies...

Get some of the big chillies, like bannana chillies etc, try and find some with a bit of heat. Cook on high heat dry on the barbie grill till skin is balck and crisp, place in plastic bag till they go soggy.
Peel the skin off and remove the tops with the bulk of the seed and the pithy bit in the middle, slice into strips. Drop the strips into olive oil mixed with half a tspoon of salt and half a dozen chopped cloves of garlic.
Leave in the fridge to be used in salads, serve in a bowl at room temperature for finger food or snacks on the cabanosi and cheeze tray, or warmed through and served on steaks ;D ;D ;D

Top stuff

Gorilla_in_Manila
06-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Punkin,

Not quite an onion thing, but who cares. ;)

Had an Italian cook at one of the construction jobs I was on in aus that did that with capsicum and they were delicious. He built up a fire with plenty of coals and then chucked them straight onto the coals until the outer skin was completely charred and the capsicum have started collapsing. Peeling them in a bowl of iced water makes it real easy to get the skin off. Gave them a great smokey taste.

We get these really tough skinned capsicums in Manila for some unknown reason. So every time we use them now, we first throw them straight on a wire mesh over the gas flame on the stove and char all the outside and peel them. Good stuff. Haven't got around to doing them in the oil and garlic, but now that you remeinded me, I might knock up a batch.

Another good one if you like eggplant is to char the skin on a couple of those long skinny ones (about the size of zuchinis), peel off the skin, but leave the end stem on. Beat an egg or two in a bowl with a bit of salt and pepper. Then flatten out the eggplant with the back of a fork or something similar so its a sort of fan shape, then hold it by the stem bit and dip in the egg and fry both sides in a fry pan with a bit of olive oil or butter.

How 'bout that, no onions here either. ::)

Cheers
Jeff
PS when I say char I'm talking really burn the whole skin until its black. gotta get that smokey flavour into the rest of the flesh.

chrisfish
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Cut onions in half, and put on a tray along with some garlic cloves and chunks of sweet potato and plain potato. Give a good soak of olive oil and then grind some cracked pepper over them. Bake the lot in the oven and consume with cold beer.