PDA

View Full Version : nuvva fish recipe

Owen
08-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Got a bit inspired by Herby's banana thingy the other night, so I started looking around the cupboards. Didn't have any 'nanas so I came up with this.
Turned out a treat!

You'll need:
(I used all fresh herbs where I had them, but the bottled garlic, ginger & lemon grass is OK)

2 cloves fresh garlic
A couple of stalks of lemon grass
Knob of ginger
handfull eschallots
tablespoon tumeric
tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon curry
cracked pepper to taste
tin coconut cream
tin pear halves
2 red chillies (If you're using the birdseyes like I have, one is enough)
fish fillets of your choice
bottle of shiraz

OK, down to business.

Drain the pear halves (save a little of the syrup - about 1/4 cup)

Pound all your garlic, ginger, lemon grass, chillies, tumeric , curry & olive oil into a paste in a mortar.

Have a glass of wine, coz you're tired now ;)

Pour your coconut cream into a pan and add your paste, the eschallots and a little of the pear syrup.
Simmer on a low/medium heat to reduce a bit. Stir regularly

Slice your pear halves horizontally into slabs about 12mm thick.
Throw them onto a hot grilling pan and sear one side.
While you're waiting for that rub salt and pepper to taste onto the fish fillets.
Refill your wine glass.
Turn the pears and throw your fish on the grilling plate skin side down (if you've left it on).
Do most of the cooking on this side so you get a nice crispy skin.
Turn your fish to finish cooking.
Refill your wine glass.

When your fish is cooked, place it on a plate and lay the pear slices on top.
Pour over the sauce.
Refill your wine glass.
Serve with fresh garden salad.

Enjoy :)

cheers,

Owen

Dobie_65
17-05-2006, 07:30 PM
sounds great will have to give it a try

Volcano
21-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Sorry to drag this up from the depths, but I made a slightly modified version of this last night and it was without a doubt, one of the BEST recipes I have EVER made.

My modifications were:
Instead of using pears, I had tinned peach quarters.
I didnt have fresh lemon grass or chilli, just the tube stuff you get from the supermarket, so I added a good squirt of each into the mortar and pestle.

I cubed up the fish, and after the "sauce" had been simmering for about 2 minutes, I added in a decent squirt of fish sauce (probably a decent table spoon full) and the fish pieces. Simmered for a further 5 minutes.. About a minute before its due to come off the heat, I added in about 5 or 6 peach quarters, chopped into large chunks.

Serve on Jasmine rice with schallots as garnish.

My wife rated it 9/10 (It was 10/10, but I lost a point for not getting all the bones). ;D ;D