PDA

View Full Version : Barra on Double Roasted Sweet Potato Mash

noodlemantra
26-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Insipired from a dish served at the Pier in T'ville (using coral trout). If anyone has second thoughts about this recipe SHOULD SERIOUSLY try it for themselves. It is really a fantastic duet and you can use any type of fish, providing it is a decent thick fillet. I've even used Swordfish and marlin (when i was in melb for xmas last year).

Ingredients
1 fillet of fish of choice per serve.
salt and pepper, lemon juice to garnish

Mash
1.5 - 2 kg sweet potato
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (opt)
300ml of cream
sea salt, pepper
100g butter, chopped into pieces

Method -
Roast potato on the oven racks for about 1hr at 180-200g. Place on a rack to cool for 30mins and then peel. Dice and place in a bowl. Add nutmeg and cinnamon and begin to mash, gradually adding cream as you go. You want a smooth, slightly firm consisency to it (i.e get a spoon and test it, don't want it running off the spoon but "holding' to). Check taste and adjust the spices if you feel the need to. When combined really well, transfer to a baking dish, spread butter pieces over the top and finish with salt and pepper. Place into oven for another 10mins.

Cook fish in a shallow pan with olive oil, or alternatively on the BBQ plate.

Spoon a heap of mash onto a plate, top with a fillet and serve withsome lemon wedges on the side. Perhaps a iced cool ale, poured into a chilled glass as well..... a blue tongue lager would be perfect.

IT IS GOLD!!!!! ;)