PDA

View Full Version : Pike eels and Mullet

happy_jack_12
06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi
I live on the banks of a small creek which has at various times cod,mangrove Jack, bream, flathead, muddies etc great fun and good eating.
I have some problems which I would hope you can help me solve.
1/ Large pike eels over a 1m are a continuous pest { can anyone give me a recipe to cook and eat them}
I am told that you can marinate them which will get rid of the fine bones.
2/ I also would like to know how to catch small mullet in a trap as the local fish love them, they go for bread normally that doesn't
seem to work at my creek.

your assistance would be appreciated
best regards Jack

onerabbit
06-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Pike eels, honestly, just cut them off & save yourself the aggravation, they are nasty mothers.
Mullet, have you tried a bait trap, we catch them with a #10 hook & bread with no sinker or float, hard to get out , but better result.

Muzz

shayned
07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Where are you mate? If you're local I'll come and thin out the pike eels for you, great shark baits there. ;D As for the mullet, even a no.12 hook isn't too small, for your burley mix salt water and bfread in a bucket until it's a fine mush. Squeeze it into balls and throw. Alternatively, put bread slices in an onion bag and fish down current from the bag.

happy_jack_12
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks Shayned and One rabbit
private property can't invite you in, the mullet don't go into traps on bread paste. I did catch a good bream on chicken breast 360mm .
I really want a recipe to marinate pike eel similar to rollmops, sashime,sushi smoking does not get rid of the small bones. It is an asian recipe apparently. The pike eel meat is a great taste but the after effects are a mouth full of very fine bones yuk.
enjoy
regards Jack