PDA

View Full Version : Tom Yum Paste

happy_jack_12
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Fresh fish not my recipe thanks to Barry Jones a mate.
This is for people that don't appreciate the fresh fish taste a bit of the exotic made simple.
Buy at an asian shop "Tom Yum Paste" two types 1 with MSG the other without ask they will tell you..
Fish preperation = slice deep cuts through each side off the fish and spread the tom yum like butter over the fish and into the gut. put in a dish and leave for a time to absorb the flavour, I normally leave from one hour to 3days in the fridge. I have tried this simple recipe with bream, whiting, moray eels, flathead and cod all brilliant.
enjoy
regards Jack

Lancair
16-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Sorry to drag up this really old post, but Ive just gotta say thats a different way to use Tom Yum paste. I imagine the paste would almost cook the fish the way lime juice can to raw fish. I will try it for sure.

Its usually used to make a spicy sour soup, 1 tablespoon of paste in 500ml/1lt of boiling water that has in it already cooked, carrot sliced thinly, some celery slice thin on diagonal, maybe a few bok choi leaves and oyster mushrooms. Whilst boiling, add sliced fish, green peeled prawns, squid strips, maybe some green mussles, remove from heat and let stand few minutes, dont let it boil for long at all. The soup is spicy hot and very sour, the seafood will cook as you wait for it to cool and enjoy it slowly.
Not everyones cup of tea but, with a bowl of jasmin rice, certainly high on my list of yummy meals.