PDA

View Full Version : Sashimi

imported_admin
26-09-2006, 06:22 PM
A traditional Japanese entree, sashimi is certainly the healthiest way to eat fish. What a bonus that it's also one of the tastiest. All types of fish and shellfish can be prepared for sashimi, however, the stronger-tasting oily fish are best. All the tuna previously described make excellent sashimi. Wahoo and mackerel are also delicious. Using the flesh from a variety of fish such as tuna, mackerel, and coral trout makes a colourful presentation. Sashimi is very simple to prepare, so warm to 'sake' and enjoy a Japanese feast that won't be forgotten in a hurry.

* If using a large piece of fish, cut into oblong shapes, 3-4cm round.
From the long rounded fillets, using a very sharp knife, make thin slices less the 1/2cm wide.
* Arrange slices on a platter with grated white radish (daikon) and pickled pink ginger (gari); or on a bed of shredded cabbage.
* Traditional accompaniments are small dishes of soy sauce and wasabi, a very hot Japanese horseradish. Wasabi can be purchased as a tube of paste of powdered to be mixed with a little water.
* Use chopsticks, toothpicks or fingers to pick up some fish and vegetables, wipe on wasabi and dip into soy sauce.
* Once you're comfortable with the strength of wasabi you can pre-mix it with soy sauce, making one dish of dipping sauce.

Experiment with alternative dipping sauces such as tabasco, lime juice and chopped garlic; malt vinegar, soy sauce and finely diced onion; or soy sauce, chopped garlic, rice ine and egg mayonaisse.

xe
13-10-2006, 10:14 AM
i spoken to some japenese chefs about where the best parts are and with the language barrier it was difficult. wouldn't mind someone who knows how to get the best parts (shoulders??) of the fish for samashi

Tony_N
14-10-2006, 06:33 AM
xe

I believe that the Japanese prefer the belly flesh where there is more fat.

I'm happy eating raw any part (except for blood lines ) of most fish, especially tunas, mackerel and trag.

Did a search to try to find more info on "best cuts" but didn't come up with any useful answer to your question

Tony

hungry6
16-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Belly flap of yellow fin fetch over $1000/kgs in tokyo, So I would say it is the prefer cut for sashimi.

flairj
19-10-2006, 05:16 PM
A few quick questions.......... firstly, does the flesh need to be chilled and firmed to be at it's best? or is wriggling five minutes ago best? also I have heard the Mangrove Jack is awesome for sashimi, has anybody tried it? and if so how did it rate?

timddo
20-10-2006, 08:48 AM
The best bit is in the middle of the fish, where there is no bones, no fat.
The belly flesh is used in soups not sushimi. With oily fish, they are a strong smell ( thats why they use wasahabi). It's best to cool it down to 2 degrees b4 eating it.

hungry6
21-10-2006, 07:17 PM
If anyone here wants to try one of the best tasting sashimi tha even the japanese have trouble getting in numbers, is summer whitting, these to me makes the sweetest sashimi.
Everyone taste is different as to where is the best cut. I don't think they would use such an expensive cut for soup, most asian soup recipe is from whole fish or fish head, can't see them cooking a whole tuna.

Krazi-kev
23-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Otoro is what the Japanese call the best part of the "Maguro" (TUNA)

Belly flesh it is.......................My nickname used to be Otoro because of my beer belly

There is not much of this piece on the Tuna however it is the piece with the most fat on it. The Japanese like their Sashimi top be marbled with fat the same as they do with their beef steak (Wagyu) or marbled beef.

Very expensive cuts in Tokyo. Around the Fish market (Tsukiji) there are little sushi bars that serve up all tuna parts.

Nakauchi is another one of my favourites.............this is Tuna pieces stripped off the ribs by using a spoon. YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!