PDA

View Full Version : how do you like your fish cooked ???

Navi
21-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey there ppl,

I was wondering with all the treads about smoking fish what way if any do you really and I do mean really like to cook your fresh fish?????

mine is the simple fish with butter white wine and some spices wrapped in alfoil, placed in oven or even the bbq.

cheers Chris 8-)

baldyhead
21-01-2006, 04:52 PM
All the way through without ANY clear uncooked (rare) bits. Marinated with water salt sugar lime juice terriyakki sauce and a big dash of aged port. Put into smoker and cook for 20 minutes. Done

Volvo
21-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Just got back from the cribroom ;D, all this talk about cookin fish made me hungry...Three Coral trout Fillets, Freshly picked n cooked green beans smothered in olive oil n lemon juice, n a whole container of skourthalia :-? :-/, err sorry bout that ::)garlic n potato dip...
Just gotta keep me distance from the rest of the workmates is all now :)..

DICER
22-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Uncooked - I just had raw herring, raw diced onions and gurkin from the markets.

Otherwise if I was home in Australia - flathead fillets in foil with crushed lemongrass, touch of sweet chilli and salt. On the barby.

If I was in germany, freshly caught trout and eel, smoked.

Panda
22-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I like it plain and simple.
Boned fillets in a light batter shallow fried;
Hot-smoked mullet fillets. Mullet are probably THE best fish for smoking;
A whole bream in alfoil, baked in the oven or coals of a campfire;
Or a pan sized fish cooked whole in the frypan till the skin goes crunchy.

Something you never hear of now is cold leftover fillets on bread and butter for lunch the next day.

revs57
22-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm with you Panda...I love fresh reef fillets done in Mary Macks instant batter made with beer, shallow fired til golden, fresh garden salad, balsamic vinegar dressing and a nice unwwoded Chard!

For anything with a stronger flavour, usually cube and cook the fish as above with a sweet and sour or chilli or lemon sauce...served with fried rice and a fresh crisp Verdehlo!

For whole Bream, coat fish with butter, top with a little ginger and garlic, salt and pepper overlay with lemon....wrap and cook in oven or on BBQ. When cooked pour super heated light Olive oil over to crisp the skin and take the flavours through the flesh...serve with fresh garden salad and a soft reisling or semillion blanc will go well

If in doubt with wine...drink your favorite beer...can't miss that way ;D ;D ;D

cheers

Rhys

revs57
22-01-2006, 08:51 AM
that was meant to read for fresh reef fillets "shallow fried in light olive oil" The dislexia is working well today!

Huggy_B
22-01-2006, 10:48 AM
herring fillets, dipped in egg then breadcrumbs, cooked in the pan and then put on toast with a twist of lemon - breakfast of champions.

baitchuka
22-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Mediem snapper,mangoes,coconut milk all wrapped in foil.

40 mins in the webber. SENSATIONAL......

PinHead
22-01-2006, 01:59 PM
by the missus

fish2eat
23-01-2006, 02:04 PM
smoked......see thread "what have you smoked"

what a great discovery, and you can vary the flavour with different marinades, sawdusts, etc

oddbudman
24-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Melt some butter in a pan. Grate 1 medium sized clove of garlic and 1/2 inch cube of ginger into the butter. Get it up to the bubble.

Make a mixture of 1/2 cup of flour with 1/2 tsp Cumin and 1/2 tsp garam masala (add a pinch of salt too if you wish).

Get your skinned fish fillets and cover them in the flour mix then fry in the butter.

Serve with some spicy potato wedges and sour cream and lemon.

Tasty Treat.

Decimator
30-10-2006, 12:06 PM
cover in flour. bit of oil on the pan.. sprinkle with lemon..

mod5
30-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

imnotoriginal
30-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Personally, the best feed of fish I've ever had was a whole heap of whiting fillets done lightly on the barbeque with a little dash of what I think was sesame oil. As they were finishing cooking we were picking them up off the barbeque plate and eating them faster than they could cook. We also had a whole heap of potatoes cut thinly frying beside them. Fantastic meal. That said, I've been going through the old posts of this board and I'm really hoping to try some of those flathead recipes if the fish decide to cooperate... ::) Yum!
Joel

poorly_snorer
24-09-2007, 12:34 AM
herring fillets, dipped in egg then breadcrumbs, cooked in the pan and then put on toast with a twist of lemon - breakfast of champions.

lol - my dad has eaten his herring like that since i can remember with or without the toast

oldboot
26-09-2007, 10:06 PM
whiting, lightly crummed, with salt and lemon, chips on the side:P

flathead fileted and skinned, sizzled till its just right, salt lemon ligtly cookd vegies on the side with some lemon:P :P

Who posted this after dinner>:( .

cheers

Horse
27-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Reefies, small macs and Flatties:- Mrs Macs instant batter made on beer and deep fried
Whiting, Dart, Bream and Reefies:- Eggwash and breadcrumb and shallow fry in peanut oil
Tailor:- Brined in brown sugar and salt with maybe a good dash of Ketjap Manis and hot smoked over a mild sawdust
Tuna:- Wasabi, soy and enjoy

loophole
27-09-2007, 07:31 PM
i dont i like em raw lol

Mrs Ronnie H
30-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi
I agree with Revs-- mrs macks batter made with beer, otherwise just lightly floured and cooked in the pan with butter. If you've got good fish why spoil it with marinades and spices.

Favorite fish-- flathead but like the whiting, deep sea perch and whole baked snapper. Yummo fish for tea tonight I think.

Ronnie