PDA

View Full Version : Are Trevally and Queenies Eatable?????????

geoff72
21-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Can you eat trevally and queenies,if so whats the best way and do you need to bleed them straight away?
cheers

Lucky_Phill
23-09-2006, 04:32 PM
You'll have to find out for yourself, but to enlighten you a tad:-

Myself and others have been donging Trevally here for a while. Some folk pooh pooh them, but I tell ya what. I provided some guests with a feed of fresh Trevor last night prior to footy and everyone gave it the double thumbs up..... [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I never bleed the fish upon capture, but I did place them in a saltwater slurry for 24 hours. I simply filleted them, skinned them, de-boned them and cut them into bit size pieces. For the beer batter:-

3 parts plain flour
1 part self raising flour
1 part corn flour,
start with a little " cold " water and then use beer, last night it was Mr VB;s turn........yummo

A very hot oil in a wok was used to cook the treats. pics attached.

Never, Never let anyone tell you that fresh fish of any species, description or persuasion isn't good tucker ::)

Lucky_Phill
23-09-2006, 04:32 PM
cut ready for battering

Lucky_Phill
23-09-2006, 04:34 PM
OK< so there was a Tooheys New stubbie in the shot, but I promise I used VB :P :P

fellow Ausfisher themooks, his wife Terri and myself, getting stuck in. OH, yes, I did utilize the sweet chilli sauce for a dunking sauce. ;)

Lucky_Phill
23-09-2006, 04:37 PM
OH, and the sort of trevally are :-

" Agnes Water / 1770 East Australian Yummo Trevally ", until we get a definate ID. ;)

Phill

-Henno-
23-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I am guilty of being one of those that used to pooh pooh trevors. I used to love catching them on poppers in the Gold Coast canals but the ones I brought home after donging were pretty crook on the chew.

The Agnes Water jumping trevally were delish though. There was a bit of sweet chili double dipping happening until I educated the masses on the only sanitary way to perform this task.

My honourable host for the evening didn't roll out the grunter he caught the day before I noticed!!

Now I want to try some red fish given the same battered treatment. Now that's sposed to be yummo.

agnes_jack
24-09-2006, 10:14 AM
They are called "tea leaf" trevally Phil!!
Identified by the small black spots.

Regards, Tony ;)

Lucky_Phill
24-09-2006, 11:20 AM
ssshhhhhhh !!! Tony. I know that and you know that, but don't tell ' themooks '. ;) ;) ::)

Phill

Ian_Reeders
13-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Geoff
Have eaten many trevor and queeny. I grew up in Weipa catching them of the rocks and chucking them on the fire for lunch because it was to far to ride home, what a life. I still eat them but only fresh. I would never freeze them.

Cheers

Ian

Kendall249
14-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I know many a person who bags out trevs and queenies, saying they only trout, emperor etc. #Though I've had some of these people around for BBQ serving either trevs or queens, so I call it mixed reef fillets ;D and there are only compliments. #As long as the fish were cared for after capture. #I personally like both species, generally small to medium versions, up to about 7kg. Definately bleed and ice as soon as possible.

young_mind
16-10-2006, 05:07 PM
cut troat and ice them,cook them, eat them fresh YUM YUM;)

moondancer
17-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Geoff, they are great eating fish! I bleed them as soon as they come aboars, and make sure theyre kept in an ice slurry.
Phil, we BBQ'd a few trevor fillets on the night we saw you at the trawl wreck - very tasty!

I reckon the simpler the cooking the better - bit of flour, seasoning, and into the pan/ BBQ!!

Aqua_Man
26-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Agree with Ian.R. We catch small Trevalies on poppers, head straight back to the hut and barbeque and eat them. Perfect!

Geoff
Have eaten many trevor and queeny. I grew up in Weipa catching them of the rocks and chucking them on the fire for lunch because it was to far to ride home, what a life. I still eat them but only fresh. I would never freeze them.

Cheers

Ian

RAGINGBULL
28-10-2006, 05:27 AM
We were at pumpkin island a few weeks ago and caught queenies.
Everyone said that they were in-edible
They were wrong top fish mate when you are hungry??
The fillets are not as thick and you must skin them
Trevally are also good eating

Cheers Mark

PandaBear
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Id prefer not to eat trevallies whenver we catch them. I find the flesh lacks the texture to the bread and butter fishes. But hey a meal is a meal.

Damien

Krazi-kev
01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Take fillets off and slice the fillet into very thin slithers. Dip in soy sauce mixed with ginger and Sake.............YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sashimi

another way is to marinate slithers in mixture of shallots, soy, sake and ginger. Onto a bed of rice and you will be telling everyone that FRESH IS BEST

cheers

sleepygreg
02-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Now thats the way to eat trevors.........we used to take the soy, ginger and wasabi out in the boat with us........when we caught one, bleed it and chuck in an ice slurry for half an hour.....then get it out and cut it up into thin slices, dip it in the sauce mix and......viola!!!!.....instant gourmet lunch. The same thing applies to bream,whiting,squire(not snapper-too coarse), and of course most of the tunas (except stripies - just a bit too much blood).

cheers
Greg

Krazi-kev
04-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Great stuff GREG,

We used to do the same on a jetty off the Goldcoast. Sometimes there would be schools of scad around and as we caught them we would take a little fillet off , skin the fillet and dig into the bag for the containers of soy and ginger mix. Excellent breakfast snack.