PDA

View Full Version : Stingray wings

Free2Fish
25-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Gidday, I've heard that the wings from stingray are the "Fishbites" that are sold in fish shops. Anyone know of there is any truth to this or does anyone eat them? :o I'm not into jsut lkilling them, but if they are worth a try, I'll get one back for Steve ;)

shayned
26-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Just a load of old tripe my friend. :)

BrandonH
26-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Lol haven't heard that one b4 :-?

I have eaten stingray flaps and didn't mind them actually. but there is a lot of prep.. you have to skin them b4 cooking otherwise they taste like the mud they suck on ;) but an advantage is there is bugger all bones!!!

also the smaller ones (like a lot of fish) taste better :)

Cheers
Brandon...

Kendall249
26-10-2006, 01:58 PM
One of uncles was trawler skipper in moreton bay for a number of years and was adament that they were used for something like that. Havinf spent some time in the meat industry I verify that tripe is used in some variaties of seafood sticks :-/ :-/ :-/.

shayned
26-10-2006, 02:04 PM
The story doing the rounds was that tripe was/is being used in the production of seafood extender which incidently is what the imitation scallops are made out of, another story was the punching out of peices of flesh from sting rays was how imitation scallops were made. The second story is plainly false although the question remains do the flaps get ground up as well to contribute to the seafood base, I don't know either way.

If you are at all interested there is a link below for your veiwing pleasure.

http://www.answers.com/topic/surimi

imnotoriginal
26-10-2006, 09:48 PM
I hadn't heard it was stingray flaps, but shovelnose ray flaps, that were used with the old hole cutter to make 'scallops'. If you do a search there's a post somewhere, I think by kev (kingtin) about preparing stingrays for the table. From memory he scalds the skin with hot water and scrapes it off.
Joel

Hellmannn
27-10-2006, 02:31 PM
the reef stingrays taste better than the mud/sand (garden variety)

cheers :D

Kendall249
27-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Hellmann, I eat almost anything, though I'm somewhat surprised at the thought that you may of tried both.

gonegonefishin
16-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi guys,

I thought that i would try stingray the other week after hearing similar stories- So i speared one and went to prepare it. Holy hell- what a pain in the proverbial. They have incredibly tough skin...

The skin and meat seems to be soooo tough, and the flesh is quite a dark colour. It just totally put me off and i couldn't bring myself to go near the thing. The only thing stingrays are good for is crab pot bait. Even then they aren't worth the trouble. The one i speared was still trying to flick me with its tail even with a spear through its face. Cop that stingray- I win...you lose. Lloyd 1, Stingray 0.

Lloyd

Kendall249
25-11-2006, 12:46 AM
gonegonefishin, I cut up a shovelnose with a razor boning knife and it was an effort to say the least. The same knife would cut through beef effortlessly, but the ray sorted me out. the flesh was tough raw but was tender and not too bad on the bbq.

tshort
01-12-2006, 06:45 AM
I've worked on trawlers and never heard of a ray being kept for anything.

robnjo
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
throw one on the camp fire next time, they're great.
can pull off the skin with plies and grill close to the flame, when you can push the fork all the way through squease a bit of lemon and crack a stubbie ;)
rob

moondancer
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Seems like a lot of trouble to go to. But I have had shovelnose in a curry - the flavour was great!! Not sure about other rays. My grandmother used to love stingray, and cooked it just like any other fish once prepared.