PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO COOK PIPPIES

straddie_flyer
24-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Not sure if I spelt it right, I have heard that you can cook and eat pippies. Others have said that taste a bit average.
Wondered if anyone here could help me with some ideas of how to prepare and cook them. Thanks

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-06-2004, 02:17 PM
i used to love em but can't eat them or oysters anymore after eating a crook lot several years back & getting violently ill.

collect them fresh for the purpose - put them in a bucket of clean seawater for at least an hour IN THE SHADE - in summer put a wet hessian bag around the bucket to keep it cool.

we used to put half a block of butter in a pan with a diced onion & some garlic, rain the pippis & chuck them in & keep them moving - when they open they are vitually done - but we used to stir in some sweet chilli too.

You can eat that - or use it as a base for a soup, stir in 3 table spoons of flour, then 2or four cups of fish stock (boil the frames of whiting, bream, snapper with salt & pepper or 2 chicken stock cubes) add a couple of carrots, diced potatoes etc & chuck in some cubed fish at the end for 2 mins

jeffo
24-06-2004, 02:40 PM
OR... you could use them for bait to catch a nice feed of whiting and eat them... i know what i would rather ;) ;D

basserman
24-06-2004, 03:41 PM
the way i have done them and they came up bloody nice way to catch freash ones put in a bucket of CLEAN sea water for a hour then empty and put them in another CLEAN sea water (this way they expel alot of the grit) then to cook put some butter and oil in a pan dice a onion some garlic and a few tomatos a little chille once they get cooking put the pippis in and some good white wine cover with a lid for a few moments and them a little cream to finish and serve one some nice cooked rice! ;D
not quite as good as mussles but not to far off!
give it a shot and it will suprisue you how good some baits do cook up! ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-06-2004, 03:44 PM
i agree jeff, but as a broke wannabe surfer bum over straddie in the 80's we ate em all the time & searched for loose 5c coins to splurge & buy a Chomp with. I believe I quite enjoyed them but the thought these days ... :P

Maria
24-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Throw them in a bucket of freshwater for 5 minutes, then into the bucket of saltwater for an hour. They'll notice the freshwater instantly and throw up all the shit inside em. Same deal with fresh prawns when they're caught.

Ben

baldyhead
24-06-2004, 05:58 PM
AAWWWWW bugga ! u blokes have made me hungry lol

raefpud
24-06-2004, 09:10 PM
yep - do the trick with the fresh water and saltwater otherwise they will be gritty and crunchy and u dont want that - then look up a recipe for New England Clam Chowder or any clam chowder for that fact - mate i could live on clam chowder, its about the best meal u can have on a cold winters night.

reefraider_II
25-06-2004, 06:21 AM
when you eat them do you eat the lot or do you clean the brown sacky bit off

Derek Bullock
25-06-2004, 06:24 AM
PIPI BOULION

Ingredients

1 kg pipis
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
450 grams can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 medium size onion finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
optional: red chillies finely chopped
3 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
1 tablespoon salt #

Method

Wash pipis. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of salt in 3 litres of water at room temperature. Soak pipis in salt water for 2 hours.

Pour out salt water. Rinse pipis and immediately place in 3 litres of warm water to make pipis open.

Carefully clean and scrub pipis, de-vein and remove intestinal tubes. Leave meat attached to shells.

Heat oil in deep saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions, chopped thyme, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until onions become transparent. Add crushed tomatoes, stir and allow to simmer until a thick, well-blended sauce is formed. Add a little water if necessary to avoid burning.

Add chicken stock and 2 cups of water (or more if more bouillon is required). Add half of chopped coriander leaves, chillies, salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for half an hour.

Add pipis and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from pan and place in serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.

Ideal as an entree. Very good as a pick me up.

Try this one guys

Derek # #[smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif]

reefraider_II
25-06-2004, 06:29 AM
thanks derek and the best wine with this dish......!!!!
Let me know when you go camping next i will be sure to be camped next door down wind!

Derek Bullock
25-06-2004, 06:36 AM
Reefraider ................ check it again I just added a photo. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MarcusD
25-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Here's a one of my favourites:

1kg pippies
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup diced parsley (save some for garnish)
1 chilli, seeded
Salt and Pepper to taste

Soak and scrub pipies. Heat oil and saute onion and garlic until transparent. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients except pippies and cook for 10 minutes. Add pippies and cook, removing them as they open, discarding and that don't open. Garnish with a little more parsley.

MarcusD
25-06-2004, 06:41 AM
And another.....

1kg pippies
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250g canned Roma tomatoes, diced
1 red chilli, seeded
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

Soak and scrub pippies. Heat oil and saute onion and garlic until transparent. Add tomato, chilli, bay leaves, parsley, wine and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil over a high heat and allow to reduce by a quarter.

Add the pippies, cover pan tightly and simmer until pippies have opened. Remove as they open and discard any that do not.

moondancer
25-06-2004, 08:13 AM
This is just too much - I'm starving, and my wife has me on rabbit food!!!

There simply is NO justice.
Derek, you're a legend!!

One day I'll share with you my 'Mediteranean warm prawn' recipe - handed down through 3 generations, from South America, to Malta, To Egypt, to Aus!! You could probably liken it to your recipe, with a few different spices.

Oh well, kit's now time for 98% fat free tasteless cup'o'soup and rice crackers! How inviting!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-06-2004, 11:29 AM
i swear to god mr bullock, you deserve to be the head chef for doyles in sydney -

i reckon that would be excellent over some noodles

Derek Bullock
25-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Noodles ................ did someone say noodles.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Drop_Bear
25-06-2004, 12:26 PM
when you eat them do you eat the lot or do you clean the brown sacky bit off

I eat the lot.

I used to dunk them into boiling water for a sec and then open them.

You can then crumb them like calamari and fry.

served with lemon they are great.

Better than whiting IMHO.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-06-2004, 12:54 PM
is that YOU Drop Bear ??

I knew you were real !!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jockey
25-06-2004, 01:21 PM
I've eaten them before. I left them in fresh water overnight then pan fried. We didn't have very many, but by the time we finished I was wondering whether it was such a great idea. They were pretty small too.

dasher
25-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Fair go Derek, that sounds terrible mate. :P I reckon I would be pushing to to be able to eat any more than 4 serves. ::)
Hey when ya gunna take me to Baffle Creek for a session with Tony (aka Agnes_Jack) Hahahaha

Drop_Bear
26-06-2004, 07:21 AM
>>is that YOU Drop Bear ??

I knew you were real !!! <<

That white thind is a fake. I am the original and best.

bidkev
26-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Pass me another brandy mate.........I must be cracking a wobbly........thought this thread read, "How To Cook Puppies"

kev......who likes hot dogs :-)

straddie_flyer
27-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I will be collecting some tomorrow and giving a couple of these recipies a go, thanks for the advise, keep it comming

Dug
03-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Where do you get pippies on the Sunshine coast

What tide or time is the best?

I have caught them elsewhere but have only seen tiny ones here ???

Decimator
30-10-2006, 12:05 PM
sounds interesting. might give it a try

Glenn_Woods
19-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Plenty of good size pippies on the north shore off Noosa. Catch the ferry over and go for a drive up the beach. Look for the small mounds of sand at low tide and do the pippie dance. We fried them. Love em.
Take only what you need.

Woodsy.

Punkin
24-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Bloody people draggin old posts up, scrolled through the first page saw derek b ex member and thought...hello...

He's thrown a tizzy again ::) ;D ;D

REEDA
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
The fresh water then salt water thing is the way to start. Then we used to mince them and make a light beer batter and make fritters. Yum Yum.

fishplukka
18-01-2007, 03:43 PM
ive cooked them or should i say boiled em! put in fresh for halfa then boil em for10 in salt then put em in hot pan with halfa cup of greenginger wine over camp fire 2-5 mins! tastes a lot better if you get half tanked first ! tried this at double island does not hep hangovers !good luck

fishplukka
18-01-2007, 03:53 PM
ive cooked them or should i say boiled em! put in fresh for halfa then boil em for10 in salt then put em in hot pan with halfa cup of greenginger wine over camp fire 2-5 mins! tastes a lot better if you get half tanked first ! tried this at double island does not hep hangovers !good luck