PDA

View Full Version : cooking longtoms???

deadlydave
09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi all, new to the site and this is my 1st post so here i go-Is there any recipes out there for cooking longtoms. are they a table fish at all or just best to catch and release?. have seen plenty where i fish ,some relly good size ones upto 1m nearly. any info would be appreciated.
thanks from deadly

Smailesy
09-11-2006, 05:39 PM
i would rather eat my thong hope this helps mate and welcome to this site mate enjoy

JasonT
10-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi Dave.
Mate we used to treat them the same as garfish.
Rolled in flour, a little butter in a pan, and salt and pepper is all you need!
Have you seen the colour of the bones?

JT

DeeGee
10-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Deadly, #
They're fairly ordinary tucker, but I'd still prefer them to most of what you can buy at the supermarket, especially if they are cooked fresh !!
As Jason says, just coat them in a flour, and saute them in butter, or cook them hot & fast in peanut oil.

Cheers #Deegee.

Brissyguy
10-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Recipe for LongTom

Place whole fish in pot with fish stock
Add sauteed vegetable (carrots, leeks, onions and potatoes towards the end of the process.
Add large house brick.
Boil on high for four hours.
Throw away the Long Tom and enjoy the brick with the vegetables...

Kendall249
23-11-2006, 10:48 PM
The flesh looks nice and white, but this observation has only come from cutting them up for bait.

Brett1907
24-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Have those knocking them tried them? The missus caught a couple at Moreton at easter (out fished me yet again). I just filleted/deboned them and we cooked the fillets over the fire with some oil, mixed herbs and chilli. Nice white soft sweet felsh. Better tasting than tailor for sure.

Brett

Krazi-kev
01-12-2006, 02:19 PM
JasonT has said it all

Nothing wrong with them.

same goes for pike and also ribbon fish

yummmmmmmmm

moondancer
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Haven't tried long tom, but agree it would probably be a bit like garfish..which I love!! Where am I most likely to catch longtoms in the bay? The only time I've sen them is around Peel/ Platypus wreck, and we couldnt get a hook up - almost as though their jaws were in the way!

_Dan_
07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
All i know is they were in plague proportions at Moreton early in the year. Got some around the 60-70cm mark, never thought about eating any of them though??

They gave a great fishing lessions for the girls.

Cheers

Dan

major-defect
11-12-2006, 05:41 AM
The longtom I had was bitter tasting and tough wether that was because of it's size [it was big].Definetly didn't taste like yummy gar.