PDA

View Full Version : Potatoes

Lazybugger
30-07-2006, 11:03 AM
K, we always going to get plenty of fish recipes on this site, how about we hear how about you do your spuds. They are probably the most used vegie and there are lots of ways to cook em.

My Favourite:

Whole baby(new) taters - smaller the better
Boil em for about 15mins you want em cooked but don't want the skin coming off.
Drain all the water you can.
While still in saucepan coat em in Light Olive oil
Then sprinkle with Tuscan Seasoning, Cracked Pepper & Sea Salt.
Ready to Serve!

Alternative: If you want to, you can take em out of water at 10 mins, season and finish off on bbq, put em on skewers and give them a nice little charring.

Cheers

themisses
31-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Mash them and add a splash of macadamia oil and whole grain mustard and salt (can also add sour cream if a bit too dry). Yumm!! :)

shayned
31-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Boil whole new potatoes, put on baking tray, press in from the top with the handle of a spoon to crush open the top, dribble some olive oil over and in the spud and back in the oven until a little crispy on top. Garlic oil is nice as well.

ronnieandbill
31-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi All

My recipe: 6 to 8 medium large spuds. Wash them or buy washed ones. Cut the lid off about 1/4 the way down. Scoop out middle with a teaspoon. Put some bacon pieces in them. Break an egg over top. Put the lid back on. Wrap them tightly in foil and the best thing to do is chuck them in the fire for about twenty. If not bake them in oven for about an hour. Take out and serve topped with sour cream.
yummo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Ronnie

Scott_Thunder
31-07-2006, 09:18 PM
wash whole potato . spear with fork rub light olive over spud. cook in micro for about 8 mins per spud. cut open spud fill with cooked bacon onion a bitm of butter and a dash of garlic and salt and pepper. can add sour cream too mmmmm

blaze
01-08-2006, 08:58 PM
new pink eye spud with skin, lightly cooked so its heated through but still crisp. Slice thin. Lay over plate with some dobs of butter, now place a fillet of steamed fish on the spud.
enjoy
cheers
blaze

DNO40
02-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Some excellent spud recipies there guys.... I'm off to cook some. It is the most used and most versatile of the vegetables.

DNO

Owen
02-08-2006, 07:23 PM
For the humble mashed spud I add
Some whole egg mayonaise and some chopped capers
or
Diced capsicum & shallots
and butter of course :)

cheers,
Owen

OISTA
02-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Mics Mash ;)

Boil 6-8 large spuds until they slide off knife when stuck. Drain water. Mash with approx 100g of butter and enough REAL milk to get them fluffy and moist. Add salt and pepper to taste. Return to very low heat (just enough to steam slightly). Chop up 4 eschallots roughly and stir through the mash. And for the secret ADD 4 TABLESPOONS OF GOOD HONEY AND MIX THROUGH BEFORE SERVING.
Good stuff :) :) :)

Cheers

Mic

wanttofish
13-08-2006, 11:25 PM
mash potatoes stir through some cooked sliced finely cabbage and some cooked chopped bacon :P you could also fry it up as bubble and squeak yummo

Gorilla_in_Manila
06-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Shayned,

Tried a variation of your little squashed new potatoes the other night.

Boiled them, drained them, squashed them gently with the back of a spoon so they sort of looked like little flattened rissoles, lots of little cracks around the edges. Sprinkled a little salt over them then deep fried them in oil - so just like little round chips.

Oil gets into all the little cracks and gives the exposed potatoe a chip like skin and the potatoe skin itself crisps up and tastes great. I think the salt helped to crisp them up like it does for crackling, and didn't need any more after frying.

As an american aquaintence was once fond of saying,
"Those suckers were goooooooood!!"

Cheers
jeff

boof
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
when traverling put spuds in alfoil lift bonnet put on manifold drive for 1 hour stop get spuds out of foil bit butter salt hook in ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

truck_hunter
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
hey lazybugger i seen that getaway reporter ben dark on tv do a similar recipe to that when he used to have tv show of his own can,t remember the name of the show but he used to drive an old white holden statesman deville all over oz he used to take the lid off air cleaner & wrap the food in foil & put lid back on & keep driving to his next destination,seen him once cook an egg on his bonnet!!! cheers mate!! :)

Punkin
07-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Best roast spuds for a (dare i say it) campoven?
Get a tin of Tiny Tatters, drain and place in a plastic bag that you've put some plain flour and lots of salt and pepper in, then toss the lot.

Fry in a little oil till just golden on all sides then place in the camp oven on top of your roast for the last 15 or 20 mins.

No fuss spuds that are always perfectly cooked and pretty ;)

REEDA
10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Try mixing some horseradish cream through your mash. Really livens it up. Yumm

major-defect
11-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Mashed potatoe tinned tuna and grated mature cheese mixed together with a little lemon juice and made into pasties.Nice hot or cold.

twodogsfishing
12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
i guess this is my version of potato rosti or pancake....

place pealed potatoes in saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Once water has boiled, remove potatoes and let cool enough so that they can be handled. Grate the potatoes into a bowl...they should still be warm enough to melt a couple tbs of butter. Add some dry mixed herbs and a tps of tumeric powder. Season well with salt and pepper. Give it all a good but gentle mix. Form the potato into managable patties with your hands, squeezing well so as to make them compact and hard. fry in a on non-stick on med heat until outsides are golden brown and crisp.

I usually serve this with a curry but its a good substitute when you are in the mood for something other than mash or chips....if that is at all possible ;D

sleepygreg
28-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Geeez the weather must be crook......I am trolling through old recipe posts.

Here is my favourite spud recipe.

Not as elaborate as some others ...... but always gets rave reviews at family gatherings/BBQ's where plenty of 'sides' are needed.

My preferred variety of spud for this is the Sebago, But they are hard to come by at the moment, so any of the brushed ones will do (if they are red soil grown all the better).

Peel the spuds and chop into 50-60cm chunks (as a rough guide thats a large spud quartered). Try to keep all pieces roughly the same size......but not too small.

I havent mentioned quantity because it is irrelevant.....do as many as you need to feed the hungry hordes.

Chuck them into a pot of boiling water and boil them for 5 - 6 mins....no longer.

Tip them into a collander to drain.

In the pot you boiled them in put a table spoon of Duck Fat and let it melt. Then put the spuds in small batches into pot and rumble them around in the duck fat so it roughs up the edges of the spuds and coats them in the fat. You may have to add a bit more fat between batches if you are doing a heap of them (I also tend to put the pot back on the burner for a minute to keep it warm enough to melt the fat).

Put the spuds on a baking dish or tray, sprinkle them with rock salt, then put them in the oven at MAXIMUM temp for about fifteen minutes - turning them halfway through. (remember ovens can vary so check the cooking time - they should turn out crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle....and they dont stick to the tray).

Enjoy

Greg

wamjam
10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Boil chads (skin on) until 3/4 cooked or until you can push a fork on top of them and they crush, not flat just to break them. Once you have them all semi crushed, deep fry until golden brown. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt, eat...

Scott

Volvo
22-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi All

My recipe: 6 to 8 medium large spuds. Wash them or buy washed ones. Cut the lid off about 1/4 the way down. Scoop out middle with a teaspoon. Put some bacon pieces in them. Break an egg over top. Put the lid back on. Wrap them tightly in foil and the best thing to do is chuck them in the fire for about twenty. If not bake them in oven for about an hour. Take out and serve topped with sour cream.
yummo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Ronnie

Right up to when you scoop the middle out with teaspoon but rather than the bacon pieces fill with pre braised/cooked rice and Mince (parsely n spices added in among the rice n mince offcourse).
Slice of cheese cover the opening and then sit the lid of the spud ontop of that and bake in the oven...........;D

wamjam
22-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Where's sleepy??? , Two new spud recipes and no reply...!!

Scott

sleepygreg
22-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Sorry Scott.....have been a little busy trying to organise a Gamefishing Tournament. Just got back from the Seafood Buffet at the Moreton Bay Boat Club.............bloody nice it was.

Great Idea on the Chats Scott. You could also microwave em for a bit till they are semi soft....then squish em like you said...and chuck em in a blast furnace hot oven drizzled with a bit of olive oil. Either way is yummy - personally I like your way....but I keep getting told not to deep fry stuff as it aint healthy......(so I just do it when the narks arent coming for dinner).

Greg

sleepygreg
22-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Volvo is right to a point. This hilights the versatility of spuds. You can use all sorts of fillings to stuff spuds like this. Lets hear more stuffing recipes for spuds using this method. I have tried this method using the San Choy Bow mix.....very interesting fusion.

Greg

PinHead
23-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I thought spuds were only used for chips..at least that is definitely the best way.

tunaticer
23-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I like large spuds hollowed out and filled with mexican bean mix and extra tasty cheese then baked in butter, occasionally brushing more butter on until they are cooked through, a light sprinkle of sea salt and served with grilled chicken breasts or grilled tuna.

Did this once with hot salsa dip mixed with kidney beans and cheese, almost as good.

Also good to get large spuds, boil for 10 mins whole, then split in half and hollow out making dishes to make nachos in and grill the lot to perfection.

nathank
23-01-2011, 04:14 PM
my all time fav... really simple stuff though, take a few chats potatoes and peel them (something i only do with chats for this) preheat oven to 180 and add to a baking tray a generous few tablespoons of duck fat (you can get this now at the supermarkets) place the tray in the preheated oven for 10mins.. remove and place the potatoes in it and coat the potatoes. sprinkle with sea salt..the maldon brand is king.turn oven to 150 and roast till near done.. turn the oven up to 220 for the last 10 mins.. well worth trying :)

Volvo
25-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Okay!!! That does it!!!wasnt going to but what the heck!!!!, here's my favourite for Potatoes/spuds or whatever ya wish ta call em..
And especially for those who prefer to turn their spuds into chips..
Peel n cut your potato into chips and then halfe the length of the chips especially if they end up on the long side..
Fry em in a fry pan..when allmost fried or if you prefer to fry once and then refry like supposed to be the correct method for chipping, remove some of the oil and when chips come back on the fry well n tryl break as many eggs as you wish over your chips and mix well to distribute the eggs throughout the Chips:)..
gather and strain all or most oil off..
Spread in Plate and if your like me and like sauce !! smother and eat!!.
Bon appatite or "Kalli Oreksi"
PS.....Nice quick easy meal if your batchin by the way:)...

wamjam
25-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I got one similar, but not really a spud recipe....

Fry up a hand full of shoe string chips, romove from the pan and fry some chopped bacon and onion with a bit of garlic. when onion and bacon are brown, chuck the chips back into the pan, wizz up three or four eggs with cheese, salt, pepper, like an omelette. Then tip the egg mix over the top of the bacon, onion and chips, cook till firm, roll him over and brown the other side. Done

Serve with worcestershire sauce...

I use a cast iron pan but a not stick should OK.

Scott

sleepygreg
26-01-2011, 12:42 AM
a bit of debauchery happening here.....love it....just hope the gym junkies and health food nuts arent reading lol.

trymyluck
01-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Geeez the weather must be crook......I am trolling through old recipe posts.

Here is my favourite spud recipe.

Not as elaborate as some others ...... but always gets rave reviews at family gatherings/BBQ's where plenty of 'sides' are needed.

My preferred variety of spud for this is the Sebago, But they are hard to come by at the moment, so any of the brushed ones will do (if they are red soil grown all the better).

Peel the spuds and chop into 50-60cm chunks (as a rough guide thats a large spud quartered). Try to keep all pieces roughly the same size......but not too small.

I havent mentioned quantity because it is irrelevant.....do as many as you need to feed the hungry hordes.

Chuck them into a pot of boiling water and boil them for 5 - 6 mins....no longer.

Tip them into a collander to drain.

In the pot you boiled them in put a table spoon of Duck Fat and let it melt. Then put the spuds in small batches into pot and rumble them around in the duck fat so it roughs up the edges of the spuds and coats them in the fat. You may have to add a bit more fat between batches if you are doing a heap of them (I also tend to put the pot back on the burner for a minute to keep it warm enough to melt the fat).

Put the spuds on a baking dish or tray, sprinkle them with rock salt, then put them in the oven at MAXIMUM temp for about fifteen minutes - turning them halfway through. (remember ovens can vary so check the cooking time - they should turn out crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle....and they dont stick to the tray).

Enjoy

Greg

Golly, they sure do grow em big down your way.........;D

sleepygreg
02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
well i was gonna say 2 inch chunks....but i guess the metric conversion became a typo.......5cm - 6cm.......or just chop a big spud into quarters and dont measure it. :P

tunaticer
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Dice some spuds into about 6mm cubes and chill them down to almost freezing but not sticking together. Get the oil nice and hot and whack them in and fry them till they crisp up golden, drain and salt lightly. Add them to your home made soup in place of croutons........really nice touch to the soups, esp pea and ham or creamy potato and bacon soups.