PDA

View Full Version : CAVANDI' - Mexican Raw Fish

roz
08-12-2006, 08:39 PM
1 tin of peeled tomatoes
2 cups of raw fish
3 large lemons, limes can be substituted
1 cup of onions finely chopped
1 tablespoon of chilli sauce (strengthen with cayenne pepper if necessary)
1 teaspoon of finely chopped coriander
fresh ground black pepper and salt - to taste.

Cut fish into small pieces or very thin slices.

Marinate overnight or at least 6 hours, stirring lemon through mixture well. Fish turns light when done.
After marinating drain or squeeze out excess liquid, add remaining ingredients. Serve with salted crackers.
Will keep for a day or two in fridge.

If anyone has an issue eating raw fish, this recipe is a great way to win them over.

I served it once on crackers when we were sitting around having a few beers, no one realised they were eating raw fish until I told them.

cheers r.

Mod11
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
For someone that is not into raw fish, this recipe sounds like something I should have a shot at.

I'll give it a try and let you know how it went. Thanks Roz

C.

Canoedle
09-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey Roz,
So you marinate the fish in the lemon juice alone?
It's a similar recipe to another south american recipe I've tried called Seviche, very yummy.
cheers, Karl.

moondancer
11-12-2006, 09:31 AM
very similar to ceviche - lemon/ lime juice does the 'cooking' great with scallops and white fish fillets!

roz
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Karl,

Yes, it's the lemon juice that does the work, but if you don't squeeze out the excess juice, it over powers everything else.

You can also use fresh chilli instead of the sauce, lots of room for imagination with that recipe. Fennell instead of coriander perhaps (but not too much). Also a small amount of coconut creme, but again, not too much.

Moondancer,

Yes you're correct, I've heard some variations.

I think the last time I made it I used yellowfin, although I think kingfish would also work well.

cheers Roz