PDA

View Full Version : Mackerel Recipes

Sailfisher
14-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi

I have a few recipes I use for cooking mackerel which are a little different from frying.

FISH PIE WITH CRUNCHY POTATO TOPPING

30 grams butter
1/6 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
125 grams cream cheese chopped
600 grams mackerel fillets
200 grams finelychopped vegetables (1 onion, carrot,
zucchini, peas)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
salt and pepper to taste
600grams potatoes, cooked and mashed with milk and butter
flaked almonds

Melt butter, mix in the flour. Gradually add milk and cheese. Whisk over moderate heat until smooth and thick. Add oyster sauce and salt and pepper
Add seafood and vegetables. Stir over a low heat for 3 minutes.

Spoon into shallow baking dish. Top with potato and some flaked almonds. Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden.

Note: May have to add a bit more fish or oyster sauce to taste.
I put grated cheese on top of potato instead of almonds
or a slightly different taste. Check taste as can be a little bland if not enough seasonings are added.

MACKEREL IN CURRY SAUCE

1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 teasp curry powder
1 teasp salt
pinch pepper
oil for frying
2 mackerel fillets (full sides)

Curry Sauce

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablesp oil
1/2 teasp curry powder
1 cup sour cream
1 tablesp + parsley chopped
2 teasp white wine

Mix flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Cut mackerel into fingers. Roll in flour mixture and shallow fry in oil until brown on both sides and cooked through.

Curry Sauce

Fry onion in oil until soft. Add curry powder, salt and sour cream and gently heat, stirring occasionally. Add parsley and wine. Pour over fish and serve immediately.

SAVOURY BAKED MACKEREL

2 fillets mackerel cut into pieces
2 tablesp margarine
2 chopped onions
1 cup + fresh breadcrumbs
2 tomatoes peeled and chopped
1/4 teasp mixed herbs
1 tablesp chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated cheese

Melt margarine and grease a shallow baking dish. Place fillets in single layer in dish. Fry onion until soft then mix with other ingredients. Spread evenly over fish and bake in moderate oven for 30 mins. Serve hot garnished with parsley.

RCG008
17-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the recipes. Now for the Mackeral run. I dont think its too far from Coffs yet.

Sailfisher
18-01-2007, 07:29 AM
My pleasure. Hope you enjoy them. I live on the coast in Central Queensland and we have had mackerel up here non stop. They usually come in and go again, but this past year they have hung around. I love the excitement of catching them.

Cheers
Mrs Sailfisher

Al_Macka
21-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm....
Me 2 try that one... THANX, sounds good

CHEERS .... Al_Macka

Were only yesterday talking about finding this sort of recipe

Nic
22-01-2007, 05:34 PM
That pie sounds excellent, I'll have to try it. I have found that mackerel are good for using in marinaras, as the cubes of flesh hold together well, but apart from that we don't eat macks much. Might be time to start!

Kendall249
22-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I'll put those to good use, thanks

unka
08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey sailfisher, i made your fish pie with some spotty makeral filletts last night and it was a real winner, will be a regular on our table from now on ;D ;D ::) :P

Sailfisher
08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Unka, Glad you liked it. Had some boys up from NSW who were having a drink or two with Mr Sailfisher and had made the pie that day so asked them to stay for dinner. As I was dishing it up one said the only fish he absolutely hated was mackerel. I said nothing and kept dishing it out. When he had finished he asked what sort of fish I had used and when I told him mackerel he didn't believe me.Just goes to show.CheersMrs Sailfisher

unka
09-03-2007, 12:36 PM
;D Mrs sailfisher you are quite right , we have a son who reckons that makeral is the worst fish you would ever want to eat and we both commented that if we had him over for a meal we could easily trick him with your pie ;D

Am looking forward to trying your curry recipe next week:P

unka
18-03-2007, 09:03 PM
hello Mrs Sailfisher, we made your curried makeral last night and loved it,

The curry sauce was just great, thanks again.

Sailfisher
19-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Hello Unka

Again my pleasure. Have been experimenting with a few other recipes I have been given, but Mr Sailfisher has not been too keen on them and he is my tester. If I come across something else he likes, I'll post it for you.

Cheers
Mrs Sailfisher

Sailfisher
19-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello Unka

Again my pleasure. I have been experimenting with a few other recipes I have been given for mackerel. Mr Sailfisher is my test dummy, and he has not like them. If I make another that he likes, I'll post it for you.

Cheers
Mrs Sailfisher

unka
19-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Mrs sailfisher , Mr Sailfisher is a very lucky test dummy

cheers Unka

baldyhead
19-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Mrs Sailfisher, that fish pie is brilliant. I have cooked it twice now. First time was with mackerel and last nite I used a kg of extremely tough Barra..come from a 8 1/2 kg side. I used 6 big cloves of pounded Garlic and my beautiful got me some Philly Cream Cheese (lite) to try. I also used 4 tblsp of Fish Sauce and 2 of oyster. The Barra was as soft as it shudda bin @ dish up time & the ppl enjoyed it immensely. Looks like I have made a rod for my back with this one.
Thank you lots.
cheers baldy

Sailfisher
20-04-2007, 03:56 PM
G'day Baldy

I have never used garlic in it before, so will give it a whirl next time I make it. Thanks for the tip

Mrs Sailfisher

sandyd
21-04-2007, 06:54 AM
That is one fish I don't really like the flavor of but next time we catch one will be giving it a go. try anything once and considering the reviews on this one so far can't go wrong.