PDA

View Full Version : Lure Building

Luke
28-10-2001, 01:46 AM
Has anyone ever made there own lures? Is it an expensive deal to kick things off? Any sites anyone knows of to check out would be good.
Thanks Luke

Steve_Ooi
30-10-2001, 05:53 PM
Luke, i made a few lures now.And it feels pretty good to see one of your own creations swimming , and even better too see that the fish don't mind them either..
Basically as a kid i use to carve lures out of pine sand them up, cut slots for the wire eyelets and bibs ,glue them in with aradite, fill in any gaps , give it a final sand , paint job and them swim them.. Caught a few trout on them too ..
Started making them again not long ago , as where i work we have plenty of pine /cedar laying around and i have too much spare time.. so far i'm making poppers,minnows and deeper divers. (actually caught a barra on one yesterday)..
it work out pretty cheap if time is not a worry and a lot of the materials can be source out at reasonable prices .

check out this site it's pretty helpful www.luresonline.com.au

cheers Steve Ooi ;)

Luke
31-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Thanks Steve,
I was hoping someone in here might be able to shed some light as I'm keen to give it a go.
Cheers Luke

beachball57
17-11-2001, 09:58 AM
I was looking in the December issue of Modern fishing magazine recently and saw an advert in there to get the gear you need to make up to 50 plastic lures. The kit was about $150.00. from some place in Melbourne. If you get the mag it's in the ad section in the tackle directory.
Don't know much about them but it might help.I make my own plastics but it might be a start.

dnej
17-11-2001, 12:34 PM
http://www.luremakingtheeasyway.com/
This is an absolute dream of a book to buy.About $12.50.
Hard to believe that someone with no previous book writing experience ,has done such a great job.
Take a look at the web site for full info.
Regards David Follett PS mention my name .I bought two of his books

Luke
17-11-2001, 12:39 PM
Thanks David,
will definately check that out.
Cheers Luke

dnej
28-11-2001, 12:03 PM
This guy uses a real prawn to produce the mould,and then makes prawn lures from the mould.
Happy Days
David

Luke
28-11-2001, 01:58 PM
David,
I actually rang Adam today and ordered a book. Sounds like a nice bloke. Can't wait to start giving it a go. Will let you know how I go and might get in contact for some tips if thats ok. Getting into Barra on home made lures would get the ticker racing Steve.
Cheers Luke

Rumpig
09-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Gidday, I've spun a couple of poppers up on a lathe, they're about 15cm long, have one set of trebles and the arse is filled with lead (affectionatly known as the lead R's lure).
They're pretty good too, they weigh 50-60gr and cast straight due to the lead insert.
I only made them at the end of last season so I've only claimed one bonnie off the rocks with it but I reckon this season it'll do pretty well.

Mick

Luke
09-12-2001, 04:50 PM
I finished my first two today. Cast out of C.P. resin into silastic moulds-prawn lures. Turned out good and tank tested(swimming pool). Starting on some minnows tomorrow. You were right about that book David. Pearler ;D
Cheers Luke