PDA

View Full Version : Lever drag systems

Maverick
28-11-2001, 02:24 AM
Hi there all,

I have been using a Penn 330 and now I am looking at getting my first lever drag overhead. #I have been looking at the Shimano TLD series but as I don't know much about them, I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good reliable (but not overpriced) reel in the 40-50lb range.

Cheers

Jason_L
02-12-2001, 09:41 PM
i've got a Penn 330gti i think it is... i think it's the same real u have

you can get that model with a lever drag. i think they price around $220

i also think Penn brings out a bigger series reel than the 330. there should be a list that came with your overhead. or outfit.

but if ya want. stick with Penn. cuz i've never had a prob with them. i'm only wishing now i knew about the Lever drag cuz that is what i would have got.

Maverick
06-12-2001, 01:22 PM
I haven't had a look at the lever drag Penn's. I'll have to go and have a look and see how they compare, because you're definitely right....they're problem free!!

dazaw
06-12-2001, 04:19 PM
Maverick,

I not long bought a TLD30 & have not looked back. I had the chance to compare it with the penn formula 15kg & found the TLD a much better reel & at a much better price.Whether your fishing for kings,tuna or even snapper it clearly stands out.

Good luck in making your choice,

DAZAW

Maverick
10-12-2001, 11:23 AM
Dazaw,

I went and checked out the Penn and found it a bit rough compared to the smoothness of the TLD series. Apparently the Penn 340 lever has one ball bearing as opposed to the TLD series having four bearings. I've definitely discounted the Penn as although it is cheaper, I don't think it rates against Shimano. I might have to take your advice and pick myself up a TLD.

Cheers, Maverick