PDA

View Full Version : Alvey rod and reel combos

alphadog23451
11-12-2001, 05:27 AM
Thanx for the welcome...I am about to buy an alvey 650grbc..I will use it for light lures with 6 or 8 lb test line...but will have need to cast 3 to 4 ounces of lead for bottom fishing...with 20 lb test...I need help in selecting a rod that can handle that much weight and still cast a small lure on light line...I am thanking you in advance for any help you can give me...Tight lines to you all....

imported_admin
11-12-2001, 05:36 AM
Hi

I would suggest having two rods, one for each situation. The Mag graphite Surf White Tip would be my selection for the lighter situations. This rod is 13foot 6 inches long and would not be suited for boat fishing. Would suggest a 6 to 8 foot rod for the boat situations. You do not need a rod set up specially for an Alvey in this situation as you would not be casting, just free spool your line to the bottom. But if you would prefer to buy one I would suggest the Reefmaster FT72.

alphadog23451
13-12-2001, 03:28 AM
Sorry not to be clear ...Am hoping to find a rod of about 10 to 12 feet to be used for casting lures 1/ 2 up to 2oz on 6-8lb line and also "casting" 2-4oz of lead on 20lb line...needs to have good backbone and a fast taper senisitive tip. Prefer 9 to 11 feet. Will have 2 spools to change but looking for a rod to do double duty....Thanx again...Tight Lines to all.