PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses?

Fitzy
29-08-2001, 03:04 PM
Am curious who wears what brand of sunnies & why ???
I personally wear Legend polarised glasses for the simple fact that A- they work OK & B- they are the most comfortable brand I've found for my head. 8)
Obviously other factors such as price & quality etc will be part of most equations.

Derek Bullock
29-08-2001, 03:23 PM
I wear glasses already so would be interested in what people have found good for them. I have looked at clip-ons and those horrible things that you wear over the top of your glasses. Does anyone know what is good.

Derek ???

pop
29-08-2001, 03:42 PM
8) i have tried clip on's they work in a fassion but best two opion's are preciption sun glasses or transion glasses witch darken or lighten depending on sun and glair

reguareds pop

aussiebasser
29-08-2001, 05:15 PM
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, I too failed to take my Mum's advice, and now require glasses at all times. The last time I had a prescription filled at OPSM, they had a special deal with a second pair for half price. I chose polarized lenses, fitted to a pair of Mako frames that were on special. All up cost was $145.00, and was the best money I've spent on glasses in my life.
Check out your local OPSM or equivilent, you may be surprised at the deal they will do.

BigPete
30-08-2001, 12:41 PM
I won a pair of 'Rev' polarised sunglasses in a fishing comp and are terrific, haven't stopped wearing em since. #Even my son-in-law fell in love with them and I had to buy him a pair for his birthday. #Weren't cheap - but worth every cent.

Amberjack
30-08-2001, 04:23 PM
I bought a $12.95 pair at a service station in Beenleigh. They claim to be polarised and almost turn night into to day. However, on the water they come into their own when boating into the sun. I now see the channel markers and my deckie relaxes and rigs up on the trip out. Problem is that when I have them on for a while I have to take them off every now and then to check out what the real world looks like.TEXT

Amberjack
30-08-2001, 05:47 PM
:-/Doh - that last one should have said "day into night" ;D

fishbox
01-09-2001, 03:13 PM
I have had dozens of sunnies over the years from el cheapo to ray-bans and have found Mako to be the best by a mile. They are polarlised and don't make the water look yellow or any other weird colour. They cut out nearly all the reflected glare from the water or anything else shinny. They have polycarbonate frames and are still comfortable after a full days fishing. I have used them for the past 2 years and highly recommend them. They arn't cheap ($120-$180) but think they are worth every cent. (just don,t lose them over the side, like I have, Twice. I now use a strap that fits over the arms).
Tight lines
Fishbox

george
03-09-2001, 05:21 AM
8)I just use the Bolle, the ones you see Mick Hall in the FWF
wearing, good value but now I also got glasses to find the hook eye with the line, without the clip on, these are
held by magnets and seem pretty good. Go the bolle, You
trendy blolke, really set off well with the flanette shirt

cheers

george

Randall
03-09-2001, 06:05 AM
8)I just use the Bolle, the ones you see Mick Hall in the FWF
wearing, good value but now I also got glasses to find the hook eye with the line, without the clip on, these are
held by magnets and seem pretty good. Go the bolle, You
trendy blolke, really set off well with the flanette shirt

cheers

george

Fancy meeting you here George!!! Thought you would`nt surface anywhere else!!
Get your butt and your Bolle`s up here to sunny QLD where you can give both a good working out!!
Regards, Randall.

Zorba
04-09-2001, 04:30 PM
8) 8) 8) Hey Fitzy, I'd have to agree with Fishbox on his thoughts about the Makos. I bought mine 2 tax cheques ago, discounted down from $180 to $99 @ Amart (I actually bought a pair for the missus as well) and they're the most comfortable pair of sunnies I've come across, not to mention their performance capabilities.

Cheers ....Zorba. 8) ;D 8)

Fitzy
04-09-2001, 10:39 PM
8) 8) 8) Hey Fitzy, I'd have to agree with Fishbox on his thoughts about the Makos. I bought mine 2 tax cheques ago, discounted down from $180 to $99 @ Amart (I actually bought a pair for the missus as well) and they're the most comfortable pair of sunnies I've come across, not to mention their performance capabilities.

Cheers ....Zorba. 8) ;D 8)

Christ,
Only just noticed the add at the top of the main page for Stalker Sunnies. Steve'll have me guts for garters for this. :D
Mate I honestly haven't tried the Makos, nor the Stalkers for that matter, tried a few brands & stopped when I hit the Legends. Haven't had sore ears or head since & I'm on my 4th set now. 8)
Thanks for a great time at Straddie mate. Owe ya one for the roof etc. :)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Slates
05-09-2001, 09:01 AM
G'day Fitzy.
Without trying to risk your intestines being devoured by large snappin handbags, my assesment follows: 8)

I've used the cheapies for yonks, simply becuase I used to scratch or lose them all the time.

I've since invested in a strap that goes around your head and haven' lost a pair since! ;)

I reckon a lot has to do with personal preference too. Some people don't like the amber color offered by some sunny-makers and others, like myself, love it!

I've tried Glarefoil (cheapies), Mako, Bolle, Stalkers, Oakley and Spotters polarizers and chose Spotters because they offered what I wanted (amber lens, glass, photochromic and tough as heck/scratch resistant).

Cheers, Slates

larrypoole
15-09-2001, 06:54 PM
I wear regular glasses too and the best fishing glasses i use are called fitovers. And they fit over your regular glasses. They can be found on the web or try fishingworks.com. Under tackle/clothing/eyewear. Some of my friends also wear Maui Jim,H2o optics, and Mako. Mako's are made in aus.

Luke
16-09-2001, 05:58 AM
Used Bolle,Mako,Raven and now use $30 el cheapos because I can drop em,stand on em,scratch em,lose em and it's no big drama.They seem to polarise just as well as and fit comfortably. Promised myself I'd never spend big money on sunny's again.Stings to much when any of the above go wrong.

Travis
16-09-2001, 11:58 AM
Fitzy l for the last five years have worn Stalkers sunglasses they have a large colour range and frame selection and can recommend them to everybody.

l wear blue for all my offshore use and now l wear the cr39 lense in the eliminator colour which is a stand out for sight fishing flats or creeks in any conditions weather it be bright or a dull day.

The owner of stalker is an approachable person and only willing to help design something to suit everyones head.

Travis

Rumpig
19-09-2001, 06:18 PM
I've used stalker and Prescription.
I got the stalkers ages ago when I could see without glasses and they are bloody excellent, great in fresh and salt water. I used to wear them heaps.
My current sunnies are polariesed lenses fitted to my Arnettes because they fit my head well and look alright on me (I don't look like a mutant fly).
Now they were money well spent, they hardly ever come off my head and I cop heaps because of it 8)

Mick

Jason_L
23-09-2001, 08:55 AM
I work in a sunglasses shop so i'll give eveyone some advice on buying polarised sunglasses.

You will notice that when u go to buy sunnies you can get either a few different colours. Green, Grey or Brown, or Brown Photochromatic.

I won't go into major details about the lense colours and what they do. but i'll just give a basic overview.

Green or Grey are used mainly in Blue water fishing. and are reasonably dark.

Brown are mainly used for going up the creeks.

Photochromatic will darken instantaniously in different lights. u can leave them on in shopping centres and they will lighten. Walk into the sun and they will darken.

An extremely good brand is Spotters. These are an australian made sunglass (which makes them even better), and they are made to australian conditions. They have a glass lense and a rubber touch frame which is very comfortable on. they come in several shapes and sizes to suit everyone.

Mako are another good brand and more known than spotters. they come in polycarbonate and glass. these aren't australian made, but are still a very good sunglass.

I perfer to point people in the way of Spotters because they are australian made and made for our conditions.

Going down the next level for a polycarbonate lense u have Zeneith. Another australian made sunglass, still durable, but because it doesn't have a glass lense it will tend to scratch more easily than glass, though it is also 20X more impact resistant. Glass shatters, this bounces (if you get my drift)

When u go into the cheaper brands you are still getting a polarised sunglass. The thing u aren't getting is the protection from the UVA UVB rays that burn and cause damage to your eyes.

For real protection which covers UVA UVB and UVC go for Bolle` and Ray Ban.

Spotters are good because they all price around $208
Mako's vary from $160 - $270
Zeneith are about $109

I hope i have provided everyone with some usefull information.
If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask.

imported_admin
25-09-2001, 09:37 AM
Hi

There are a few things you should look for when buying sunglasses.

Make sure the sunglasses block as much UV rays as possible. Not just the lens but the glasses them selves by the way the glasses fit your face. If there is too large a gap between the sunglasses and your face you will get a lot of light coming in from the sides, top, etc. around the frame. Even though the lens might block 100% of UV rays, having such gaps will lessen the effectiveness of wearing the sunglasses.

Make sure the sunglasses are made to Australian Standards. There are glasses on the market that are not actaully sunglasses, just glasses with tinted lenses. These may drop the brightness of the sun but probably not block the UV rays. It is the UV rays that do the damage, by buying sungalsses that are made to Australian Standards for sunglasses you can be assured that they will be blocking the UV rays.

And don't forget to protect your children.

Fitzy
25-09-2001, 06:24 PM
I won't go into major details about the lense colours and what they do. but i'll just give a basic overview.

Hi Jason,
I for one would be interested to hear a bit more on this topic of you'd like to share your knowlege. ;)

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Jason_L
25-09-2001, 07:53 PM
8)
What is it exactly u wanted me to cover. About the UV protection of different brands of sunglasses?

How sunglasses should fit?

can you give me a bit more information plz.

I'll cover some stuff though.

Ok. some information about the fit of the sunglass.

For best protection go for what is called a "wraparound" sunglass. This in terms.. wraps around your face.
For a classic example and an example only. look at the Oakley M-Frame series.
Unfortunately u can't buy a polarised lense in this style. But u won't have any trouble finding a sunglass that fits your head with todays selection.
8)

When u put the sunglass on, you want it to feel comfortable, like it isn't even on your head. Look straight ahead, if you can notice light coming up threw the bottom, from the sides or over the top it's not the one for you. remember you are trying this on in a shop. it's going to be worse on the water.

If you are going out on the water and want a sunglass for proctecion. DON"T go for a wire. They let light in from the side bigtime. They might look better on you but they aren't as good.

Ask the sales people if you can take the glasses outside to see what they are like.

I said in my last post that green or grey coloured lenses were for blue water and brown were for creeks.
That isn't a rule of thumb.. It also goes on wht u are comfortable wearing. If you aren't use to the lighter (brown lense) it may take a week to get use to it. but don't just buy it thinking that u will.
8)
Spotters, Mako, Zeneith, Bolle` are all UV rated to australian standards.
UVA - protects the eyes from Ageing
UVB - protects the eyes from Burning

Polaroid sunglasses for $19.95..
Though they might be to the australian standards they can let in harmful light rays.
They are mostly a tint with polarisation.
They are good though if you just want something to throw around. but if you are going to do that spend a lil more money and buy the Australian Cancer Society brand.

The ACS range from $25 - $60, depending on sytle mostly.
These are a glairfoil lense. a better plastic than cheap brands, but not as strong as polycarbonate.

8)

If i haven't covered what u wanted to hear or u have any othe questions. don't hesitate to ask.
Just let me know waht it is specifically u want me to cover.

Laterz
Jason
hope this helps

Fitzy
26-09-2001, 06:32 AM
Hi Jason,
Thanx for the info mate.
Was also thinking of what lens colors do compared to other colors. There are numerous colors available these days & I'm sure most folks haven't tried them all. Any advantages in a particular color for a particular application?

Cheers,

Fitzy..

imported_admin
26-09-2001, 11:06 AM
You can find a lens colour/application chart on the Stalker section of the site.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/stalker/

This does only cover the colours that are sold by Stalker so would be interesting to hear what others, and Jason, have found to be the best colours for their application.

Jason_L
26-09-2001, 01:11 PM
I'll go into work tomorrow and pick up some stuff, information, etc.
it's too late now. just turned 5:32pm.

till then

Steve_Ooi
26-09-2001, 02:04 PM
Well here’s some stuff I wrote about polarised sunnies a while ago, after doing a bit of research and thinking this is what I came up with. #I hope it helps, although it may sound a little confusing.

As the message board won't accept the full length of it ,I'll post it in two parts.....

Part 1)
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #8) # # POLARISED SUNNIES #8)
The use and benefits of polarised glasses/sunnies is well known. The choice of lenses colours is where the difficult part arises. Many anglers have found that different coloured lenses to be superior to others in different circumstances ,for instance a lot of bluewater fishermen feel the grey /smoke lenses to be of better benefit ,while flats fishermen usually go with the amber/red lenses. This trend seems #to show that what make polaroid lenses of one colour more effective than others, tends be on what the available light source is (direct light, reflected light, ambient light.and so on) in a given area . #

Heres a couple of reasons why, lenses towards the red spectrum work better on say flats fishing.

The image perception that we gather is based on the available light source. This light source, not only comes in the form of direct light from the sun, but also from reflected light off the water, water surface, sky, clouds or the sandy flats beneath us and anything in the area. The conditions we see around most flats are extremely high in reflected blue light.
# #The polarisation of the lenses helps take out a lot of this blue light especially off the surface. When light is incident on, say a surface of water, part of the beam is reflected and part continues into the water. As you know polarised sunnies tend to reduce reflection and glare. And they work much better for reflections off a surface that allows refraction, such as a surface of water, than they do for glare off, say, a piece of Chrome.. The reflected light of water mostly contains one of the two possibilities of polarisation, and at one particular angle of incidence (Brewster angle) the reflected rays consists entirely of one polarisation. That reflected light off the water is where the use and benefits #of polarised sunnies really takes effect, but polarised sunnies only work perfectly at the Brewster angle.
# # #
........Continued in Part 2......

Steve_Ooi
26-09-2001, 02:05 PM
Part 2)....

Understanding the characteristics and design of fish gives us a better understanding into why certain coloured lenses tend to be of better benefit for us anglers.

Now considering that most fish on the flats have two forms of camouflage, those that tend to sit close to the bottom tend to be the same colour as the sand flats (flounder, flathead and whiting have a sandy colour top). Fish that tend to sit off the bottom and mid-water tend to be more reflective (Queenies, trevally, dart, snubbies, and barracuda).
Now as a predator peers down on a fish from above or from a high diagonal direction, reflective fish like queenies, trevors and so on have scales that are specifically design to reflect their surroundings such as the sandy bottom and the blue/green water , exactly the same as the backdrop behind them from that view point thus making them hard to spot. Now when looking at a fish from below they reflect the sky and water above. Now since nothing is going to look at a flathead, or flounder from below there is no need to reflect the above sky and they have a well designed horizontal flat body that sits on the bottom and doesn’t cast shadows. Queenies, snubbies, trevally, dart are slim vertically, therefore in midday sun they cast less shadow and when viewed from diagonal angles they reflect the backdrop.
Now think of a queenie, snubbie , trevally as a curved mirror the top half will reflect more light from directly above and the bottom half will reflect more light from the surrounding waters and from the bottom.
Now remembering that most flats are extremely high in reflected blue light especially from the sky above. Lucky for us the polarisation of the lenses helps take out a lot of this blue light especially off the surface. This in turn reduces the saturation of blue light and at the same time highlights red/yellow light.
So what we have is the top half of the fish reflecting more colours in the higher end of the colour spectrum (Direct light from above) red/yellows. Thus using a pair of polarised sunnies towards the red end of the spectrum we utilises this effect and emphasises these colours.
The bottom half of the fish reflects more blue/green light, because of the scattered light from the surrounding water. This blue/green light when viewed through a red filter will appear darker. Red/yellow lenses being the complementary colours of green/blue have a neutralising effect. Thus the use of lenses in the higher colour spectrum reds/yellows will give high contrast between the direct light from above and the reflect light from the surrounding water, making the fish more visible.
This may all sound a little confusing, and hopefully one day I’ll get around to clarifying it a little more. I hope this sheds some light on the matter…… 8) 8)

Steve Ooi

Brett_Finger
05-10-2001, 04:04 AM
Eazy,
for sight fishin and generall all round sunnies Bolle' with Copper clour lens. i'd like to have Rose cloured ones as thay appear by all accounts better again.
all day, all day.
hookin, Brett

Jason_L
05-10-2001, 01:48 PM
Sorry for taking so long everyone. working too hard. and getting the info just keep slipping my mind...
I'll try to remember it tomorrow

Rosso
25-11-2001, 12:02 PM
I had a pair of Mako black lensed polarised ones and they were fantastic! Up to the point that the ear/arm thngy snapped off (oh well)

Now I have a pair of arachnid (or something)

Never the less, the thing you have to remember is that if your fishing salt water, you need black lenses.

If your fishing fresh, then its brown :)

Cheers
Rosso.

Muzzy
25-11-2001, 01:41 PM
I use the cheap ones cause I'm thick and break, lose ond destroy glasses. Last pair went with a horror thow net cast. Intrested to read abit more as I was thinking of may be getting a good pair again. Most of the time I crack the darks with glasses and go with out thats why I lose so many.

Muz

Travis
26-11-2001, 05:43 AM
Jason if you work in the optics industury you should know the SPOTTERS are not made in Australia they are imported like the rest......lenses in one box,frames in another then whammo they are put together and all of a sudden made in Australia,other companies could do the same but they have ethics...

trav

Katrina
02-12-2001, 05:49 PM
::) After having many sunnies in the $6 - $20 range which could last anything from 2 weeks to 9 months, I have lashed out(lol) and bought a pair of $38 polaroid Glarefoils, f*&$%#@ fantastic, good bye premature aging!!!, Hey I can see!!!

Jason_L
02-12-2001, 09:31 PM
i'll look into that travis and get back to ya.

someone mentioned before about the colour of the lenses.
black for salt and brown for fresh.

generally it's what u like. but the green/grey lense is more specific to blue water and the brown is for up in creeks. but i'm sure it would work fine in fresh.

i'm not saying anyone is wrong. but i don't know all the answers either.

those polariod glarefoils are very good for what they are. unfortunately they are only a plastic lense. but they are made preety solidly.
we serverd a customer today who was just about to buy them, but when she found out the affects of polarisation, she went and bought a mako. so a $30 sale became a $130 sale. we didn't complain.

one noticable thing you will find with cheaper sunglasses is that they leave the glare on the surface of teh water (i don't know 100% with the ACC glarefoils, but other cheap brands do). where as the more expensive sunnies do not.

you get what u pay for.
you might also find you don't get a warranty with the glarefoils.

i'm still yet to get that info about the lense colours.. hehe. sorry.

Katrina
03-12-2001, 05:12 AM
:P Shove the warranty! If they're lost or the kids destroy them, hey I'll buy another pair. If you work in a Sunglasses shop your bound to be sucked in by the blurb. Sorry, can't justify the expense for what is to me a disposable item. Don't like to see money sinking away from me! ;)

BOMBER
04-12-2001, 07:06 AM
Hi All,

have owned a pair of Mako Warriors for around the 2 year mark after having a pair of Spotters and then loseing them I found the Spotters to be pretty good but the mako's leave them for dead I find that these mako's make spotting fish in salt and fresh water a breeze, which comes in handy when sight casting to cruising fish they were not cheap at around $200.00 but if i don't loosem i think its money well spent just in case anybody is wondering they have Browwn glass lenses.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Brett_Finger
05-12-2001, 03:41 AM
Have got a couple of pair,
a rose set of Stalkers and a copper ste of Bolle, bouth are very good for sitefishing barra ect.. but i prefer the rose cloured lenses to the copper.
Hookin,Brett

Aussie
12-12-2001, 09:36 AM
I do both freshwater and saltwater fishing but can't afford to buy 2 different coloured good quality sun glasses, is there a good compromise colour you can wear effectively in both situations? 8)

Jason_L
13-12-2001, 06:33 AM
work out what type of fishing you do more often. blue water or murky (creek) water.
go for a grey or green lense if your going in blue water and the brown lense for up creeks.
also if you can't afford 2 good pairs. buy 1 good pair and 1 crappy pair of the other colour

Luke
22-12-2001, 03:36 PM
Gday Jason,
I've been told the mowi/maui jim's??? are pretty hot. What dirt or clean bill of health can you give me on them?
Cheers Luke

Jason_L
23-12-2001, 05:02 AM
ok. the Maui Jims... We were going to get these sunglasses in. BUT we didn't.

They are about $350approx (i think. not 100% sure on that)
they are a glass lense...

because we never got them in i don't know a great deal about them.

but for what they are worth. stick with your mako's, bolle's and spotters.

The MJ are just overpriced.

***on another note***
Katrina i know what ya mean. u lose them or the kids break them they aren't covered under warrenty. but there are measures to avoid that. hide them so the kids can't find them. get a strap so they don't go overboard..
Another thing about working in the sunglasses industry.. Most the "blurb" (u stated) is actually true about the sunglasses. But also working in a sunglasses shop it's very hard not to want sunnies. also we get them at a good discount.

So people like myself and Travis that work in that industry. we'll have several pairs of sunnies...

something else.
What BOMBER said about the Mako's being better than Spotters.. It all depends on what conditions you are using it in, what u are comfortable wearing, and generally what works best for you.

We've sold spotters to the Water police and the local dive people/operator and they all swear by them.

They are all good brands and u should try them all on before u go ahead and buy the sunglasses. Everyone is different.

C
23-12-2001, 11:47 AM
8)Tried most brands inc Ray Ban, Oakley,Spotters ,el cheapo servo station brands but all ways come back to Mako Pluggers or Zeniths with polaised glass 8)

Jason_L
23-12-2001, 06:55 PM
hehehe. oakley. now there's a good one..

preety sad to say. but i advise customers against buyng oakley polarised sunglasses. #for the cost of these you'd prolly be better off buying those Maui Jim.

save ya money and spend it on zeneith or bolle` if you want a sporty looking polarised sunglass. #though Spotters has a new range out... very impressive. i must say.

also. spotters has had a price rise and are now range in price from about $220 - $250

Jason_L
27-12-2001, 04:35 PM
well. i now own a pair of spotters. They are called Crush. which is the sunnies in the new range. they also come in blue, black and red frames... and the brown, penetrator, and green with blue tint lenses.

they have a red frame with a Penetrator (photochromatic) lense.
which means the darkness of the lense changed with the brightness of the sun.

i compared these with the mako. but only due to personal opinion and shape i stuck with the Spotters.

krazyfisher
28-12-2001, 04:34 PM
has anyone tried the new brand fish I got a pair the other day went to get makos but these suited me better they dont have glass lenses but work great I was told they are made by mako but I dont know but hey at $59 I can lose these but they work well I just hope they are good for the eye.