PDA

View Full Version : Braid  on  Alveys

Andrew
29-12-2001, 12:13 PM
I've been told a few times, by experienced fishing shop keepers, that Alveys and braid don't work because of cutting fingers and tangles.

Lately I've had some fishermen in USA ( hi guys ) tell me they use it, no worries.

What experience has anyone else had? (esp in surf)

ta, Andrew

Luke
29-12-2001, 03:01 PM
Hi Andrew,
I have an Alvey loaded with 6lb fireline that I use in estuaries and don't have any problem with tangles or any major problem with cutting of fingers. I always come home with some cuts whether it be mono or braid but I only use my finger as a light guide and don't leave it on there flat out. As for tangles I get hardly any using braid whereas I used to get quite a few more on mono. I haven't used it on an Alvey surf outfit though.
Cheers Luke

aussiebasser
01-01-2002, 12:22 PM
If you ever get to see the "Team Alvey" guys fishing one of the BASS or BREAM comps, you'll be amazed at what they can do with an Alvey. I had the pleasure of fishing with Pete Robinson during a BREAM round, and his slightly modified Alveys handle fireline with ease. They cast little Bream lures pretty well too. :o

Andrew
01-01-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks Luke/Aussiebasser,

What was the modification to Team Alveys' reels? What rigs were they using?

thanks, Andrew.

aussiebasser
02-01-2002, 05:14 AM
They use a reel seat stem off an export model, which allows them to hold the Alvey in the same manner as a Threadline should be held. ie. with the reel stem between the ring and middle finger. They also use a peice of Stainless Wire to run the line on instead of their finger. As far as I'm aware, neither of these modifications are available on local reels.

Andrew
02-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks Aussiebasser,

I want one!

Andrew