PDA

View Full Version : Keeping tackle corrosion free

Luke
09-12-2001, 04:27 AM
Hi All,
For the last 5-6 years I've been buying hooks and swivels etc. in bulk and the method I use to keep them in good nick is by keeping them in old peanut butter or vegemite jars about quarter full of plain flour. Perfect condition for years even if they have been exposed to salt. Does anyone else do something similar?
Cheers Luke

Scottie
09-12-2001, 04:32 AM
Hey Luke, great idea. I bet ya some white rice would work too. Anything that would absorb moisture.

Cheers, Scottie

Luke
29-12-2001, 11:36 AM
Yeh Scottie,
rice would be a good absorber but I think it might blunten up the hooks a bit to much after a while rattling around. The flour just seems to give it a soft cushion all around the tackle and instant absorbsion. By the way how you going with your new Alvey gear?
Cheers Luke

Scottie
29-12-2001, 11:44 AM
Luke, I'm getting on famously with my Alvey gear. Unfortunately winter has finally set in here in Chicago, though it did come late this year. I was bass fishing up until 2 weeks ago. Now it's below freezing 'round the clock. I'm not an ice fisherman so I'll have to wait 'til March for those beautiful coho Salmon to make their way in. Such is life, eh?

Cheers, Scottie

Luke
29-12-2001, 11:51 AM
Scottie,
might have to call you Ned. ;D Good to hear you enjoy the Alvey. I grew up on them and none of my little Alveys had a drag on them. I reckon it was a good thing learning without a drag. Spoilt now though. Happy new years mate. :)
Cheers Luke

Scottie
29-12-2001, 09:46 PM
Luke, I'm not sure what you mean by having to call me Ned, but I'll bet you're yankin' my chain Aussie style, eh? ;D BTW, I also picked up an Alvey 45B no drag model and absolutely love it. I love simple basic stuff as it requires a bit more savvy to use well than the fancy shmancy stuff does.

Cheers, Scottie

Luke
30-12-2001, 02:17 AM
Scottie,
We had a bushranger (i suppose you would call them outlaws) here by the name of Ned Kelly who's last words before they hung him were " such is life". I'm pretty sure thats how it goes anyway. When you said that it reminded me of Ned. No offence to you as he is a legend over here. :)
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
25-01-2002, 04:01 PM
hey luke about the flour in the jar method doesn't the flour stick to the line, hook? Or do you have to first dry the line etc?
I just sponge the line with some warm soapy water and then dry it then spray some wd40 and it works for me fast, convenient and fun!
well not sure bout the fun part but i needed something to say to make it sound good!
lol
good on ya guys!