PDA

View Full Version : barbless hooks

Luke
18-09-2001, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if there are barbless hooks available on the market? I would think these days there would be a call for barbless hooks and I've heard lots of differences on survival rates and how long hooks take to rust out with gut hookups depending on bronze or stainless. Does anyone have any truths on these.
Luke

dazza
18-09-2001, 02:13 PM
Luke,
You can get barbless treble's. VMC make them. I haven't tried them yet but I find the VMC to be pretty good so the barbless should be OK. I just crush the barbs and it seems to work fine. I reckon barbless hooks penetrate better stay put just as well and make letting em go alot easier. Won't get into the bronze vs stainless debate

Dazza

Luke
18-09-2001, 02:30 PM
G'day Dazza,
most of the fish we catch we release so I've been thinkig about barbless for a while. Like you said I will probably just crush the barbs.
Cheers Luke

Travis
18-09-2001, 04:34 PM
Hi Luke eagle claw also make 3 and 4 x extra strong trebles they are a little hard to find but there out there.

Just crush the others its easier for everyone.

good luck

Travis

Fisherman02
28-01-2002, 04:01 PM
hey luke
I just get my old pliers out and using the wire cutter line up the bard and snap off the barb no problem

Scottie
30-01-2002, 06:51 AM
Hey Luke, if you've got a dremel tool you can file 'em off lickity split. That's what I do. You can go through a pile of hooks in no time at all.

Cheers, Scottie

krazyfisher
30-01-2002, 11:52 AM
luke I release most of the fish I catch and I just crush down the barbs this is not to make it easier to release the fish but to release me when a treble goes in and if it hasn't yet it will I wont even let anyone in the boat with out crushing the barbs.

Luke
30-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been crushing them so far. Seems to work ok. I've seen those dremmels,could be the shot thanks Scotty.
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
01-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Read a good article yesterday in the Feb/Mar issue of Blue Water Boats and Sportfishing - page 102-103 called hooked on Barbless???
It mentions a new Mustard triple grip tested on some coota. It's not a barbless hook but yeh like every one just crush the barb.

Jack

Luke
01-02-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks Jack,
I'll check the article. How have you settled in to your new boat mate?
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
01-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Yeh Luke. Got a pic to post on the section that Fitzy kicked off. Only got a couple more shots to take from the roll yet.

Jack

adrian
04-02-2002, 03:21 AM
hi guys
what is a dremel tool ??? never heard of one . i crush th hooks down as well but sometimes there has to be a better way . you are right they are easy to remove when you are the one hooked :o

anzac

Scottie
05-02-2002, 07:04 AM
Anzac, a dremel (brand name) tool is a high speed rotary tool that has a zillion different attachments. You hold it like a pencil, albeit a fat one. It's absolute tops for buffing, cutting, grinding, polishing, drilling, and any number of things you'd like to make a mess of. Get one, you'll love it.

Cheers, Scottie