PDA

View Full Version : Rod building lathes

Peter_Braid
15-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can buy either new or second hand rod building lathes. I live in Nth Qld and it is pretty hard to find any one up here that can help
Regds
Peter
???

Slates
16-01-2002, 03:45 AM
G'day Peter.
I know absolutely stuff all about rod building, but someone once told me BBQ's Galore had a rotisserie (sp?) for about $20 that had about the same revs as a rod lathe and the rollers can be bought pretty cheap too.

Might be worth looking into if you're a handy bloke? ;)

Cheers, Slates

Fitzy
16-01-2002, 05:41 AM
Hi Slates,
I got one of them for my BarBQ. Recon it would work for a rod lather or fly drying wheel.
For rods tho, it would be handy if it had some variable rpms to wrap the binding on a bit quicker. OK for drying tho.

Peter_Braid
16-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. I already use the bbq rotttiserie for the drying side of things but it is to slow for binding and it has only one speed. Thanks for the help.
Regds
Peter

Slates
17-01-2002, 07:51 AM
G'day again lads.
What about adding a few pulleys to up the gearing (and RPMs) for binding??

never tried it myself - just a thought. ???

Cheers, Slates ;D

imported_admin
17-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Checkout http://www.mudhole.com they have complete lathes or you can buy the individual bits. The freight on the bed would be expensive but you can buy the other bits and make it up yourself.

I would imagine the motors would be setup for 110 Volt so you would need a conveter or source it in Australia.

Another site worth checking out would be The Custom Rod Builders Guild
http://www.rodguild.com/

Christine
19-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi Peter,

You can ring Jeff Frogley Agencies 02-66813988 in Sydney.
They should be able to help you with a good quality lathe.

Cheers
Christine

Volvo
20-01-2002, 08:23 AM
Peter before you go buying a Rod lathe look around. As i think there are two types available in the country at present.
Like i said "I think". Jeff Froglies agencies used ta have the good version from what i hear and Mo has one for roundabout the 800 bucks i think but you have ta modify it or take it easy when binding as if ya try speed up a little , rod jumps off.
Like i said bit of modifying needed and unless your into buildin a few might pay to look around and make your own or just some rollers and turn by hand , ide say you want to be turning a few to justify the price or thereagain you never know and handy item??.
If unsure give me a hoy via my E-mail and ill post you some pics of some rollers i made.
Otherwise you can buy el cheapo rollers , have a look at the Mo-tackle catalouge , should be able to pick one up from your local newsagency.
Cheers
Volvo

Peter_Braid
21-01-2002, 03:57 PM
;D Thanks everyone. It looks like I have been looking in all the right places any way. I have already made one up myself but I thought I would put the feelers out to see if I was missing any one that sold them. The cost of a new one is pretty steep though (around $800) so I will either have to keep using the one I have built or try and track down a second hand one.
Thanks for the help.
Peter

Grant
13-02-2002, 06:03 AM
My son (15) just finished making a rod binding lathe. #It works great.
He used a sewing machine motor with a foot control so you can vary the wrapping speed.
Rod handle end held in place using PVC #tube & bolts to copy a chuck design.
Motor mounted on gal 1"x1" square the length being whatever you think the longest rod you'll make will be.
Rollers mounted onto seperate steel that fits snugly over the 1"x1" so thay can be moved to suit #your guide spacings.
I can send a photo of the lot if it will help you out. #

DR
16-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Pete,
# # # # some of the older style of sewing machines have motors that are easily removed, they also have a foot pedal that with practice can be operated from slow to very fast.
Make an adaptor to hold your blank using different size butt caps. Many years ago in Sydney you could buy [RICKS ROD ROLLERS] they were good supports and the blanks rolled smoothly. I would enquire at a couple of the larger tackle shops down there to see if they are still available.
Regards
DR

shano
17-02-2002, 01:07 PM
ok guys here is one more of my great ideas ok here it is what you do is look in the trading post for an old sewing machine that has the external motor. now as you all know it has a foot pedel for variable speeds now i have seen them in there for about $30-50 bucks for an old one. this will do the job i use one and it is great as slates said the rollers are cheap from the hardware and you can make the table and holders out of wood nice and cheap. now for a constant speed for drying all i did was drilled through the foot pedel and put a long bolt with a nut on it what you do is when you do up the nut and reach the desired revs just leave it run .......see simple and easy... glad i can help.
cheers shano! ;D

shano
17-02-2002, 01:18 PM
what i forgot to mention was that you use the motor also from the sewing machine and the belt that drives it also you can also use the pully on it to!! hope this helps
cheers shano! ;D

Peter_Braid
19-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I now have the lathe (home made out of unistrut) and an old sewing machine motor and foot control. I now just have to work out how I am going to mount it and i'm away. Thanks for all of the ideas.
Peter
;)

shano
20-02-2002, 01:08 PM
if you have any old micano sets lying around they work well to secure the motor if not the hardware has the same kind of thing! cheers shano! ;D