PDA

View Full Version : Catching bream/flat with lures. Advice?

wsong
07-01-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

Always been skeptical of lure fishing, but thought I might give it a go this time.
I usually fish around Hawksberry River in Sydney from a tinnie boat (Mooney Mooney area) and seeking for an advice on lure fishing.
What sort of rod/reel should I be using? (I am currently using 7ft powerstip rod)
And I realise there are so many types of lures in the market. Any recommendable lures for catching bream/flathead/etc?
Many thanx in advance

WS

wsong
07-01-2002, 05:08 PM
Oops! Typo... Skeptical -> sceptical

WS

Simon
08-01-2002, 06:03 AM
WS

Anything small upto 5cm will do the trick both hard bodied lures and soft plastics or fly. #The most important thing is to retrieve it slow. #And don't expect to much success on your first several attempts( sessions not casts). # If your serious about giving it a go there's currently book out on the subject by Kaj Busch 'Catching Bream on lure and fly' you should be able to find in your local book store.

Cheers

Simon

wsong
08-01-2002, 03:02 PM
Simon,

Many thanx on your thoughtful advice.
I'll certainly be getting the book but meanwhile I have few questions!
How should I set up my rod to accompany the lure?
Someone tells me it is impossible to catch breams or any other fish with my current 7ft rod due to its thickness.
He tells me I won't be able to cast it very far because the lure is too light and adding sinkers will make it less effective.
The word is that I need a new graphite rod (very thin one) to catch anything.
Is this all true?
Many thanx on your anticipated response!

WS

Simon
15-01-2002, 05:36 AM
Sorry about the delayed response

The lighter rods make it easier to cast and are more sensitive allowing you to feel the lighter bumps and enquiries.

I'm assuming your current rod would be a fairly stiff combo or boat rod if its thick, its probably not ideal but if you can cast the lures over ten metres then depending on the counrty your fishing you could be in with a chance.
The graphite rods do make the job alot easier but you can still use a light glass or composite rod. The thickness of your line and type of reel will also aid or hinder your casting distance.
I'm not familiar with the area your fishing but in many scenarios you don't have to cast the lure a country mile it comes down to accuracy and retrieval technique.

using a little more lead can work in the deeper water with plastics if you rig them appropriately, a carolina rig is one that would work.

Cheers

Simon

Cheers

Simon.

Finny
14-02-2002, 04:40 AM
Hi WS,

After doing lots of research on this subject, reading the book previously mentioned I have decided on a G-Loomis 6' 1 piece spinning rod with shortish butt and an Okuma Epix 20 series reel fitted with the 4lb fireline recommended in the book by Starlo and Bushy. I tested the 4 lb Fireline on a Shogun 6'6" medium spin with a Okuma LB30 and found it to be an excellent line. My wife also tested this and saved her with looping and tangle problems. I like the Shogun rods but wanted to get away from made in China. Now I know the Okuma reels are made in China too but hey were just too good a value to go past. I also found that the Shogun's guides aren't always put on squarely. Also looked at baitcasters but for a good one able to cast light lures a long way it was going to be BIG bucks.

Regards

Finny
:)

Rumpig
23-02-2002, 05:21 AM
Have you had a look at the Silstar lexus series or the Pasific composites ultragraph 1000 or 2000. they're australian made, light and very nice in the baitcaster range.

Mick

Finny
23-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Hi Mick,

Can't say I have and nor have I been offered a look at one. Sound interesting.......I live south of Sydney, don't know where I can check them out do you? How much are they?

Finny