PDA

View Full Version : Shark tips? Over here!!

Fisherman02
02-03-2002, 03:24 PM
hi guys
just thinking of catching whaler sharks in the brisbane river any advice would be very much appreciated or any advice on shark fishing in general.
cheers jack
http://www.angelfire.com/co4/fishingsite

Jack_Lives_Here
06-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Jack,

The river whalers are certainly great fun on light tackle. I use a medium action spin stick and a threadline spooled with 6kg for off the rocks. From the boat I go down to 4kg.
Land based - Night is your best option anywhere around lights or bridges with lights. If there is rock structure then all the better. They like to heard the mullet into the shallows and crash into them. Use live poddy mullet under a float. I'd use a small length of wire to prevent the bite offs. It's not necessary but increases your chances of landing them.

If your not gunna eat them, let them go - they are an the rivers great recyclers.

All the best
Dave

Fisherman02
07-03-2002, 02:18 PM
thanks dave
you should come down to brisbane some time and show me the lines coz i really want to get serious about catching sharks. The brisbane river ain't the nicest river but it sure has a lot of river whalers in it and catfish
cheers jack

Jack_Lives_Here
08-03-2002, 03:42 AM
Brisbane born and bred mate. Live on the northside so have fished from the mouth right up past the university. Been checking out some of the areas right in the city - particularly the rocks under the story bridge, near the old water police HQ.
The rock walls towards the mouth are great for luring bream in winter. Hooked a nice jew last year while doing this. Hooks straightened after about 20 mins - only using a small crawdad lure and 8lb fireline - bugger.

Keep at it mate. If you ain't learnin' something new every day then you're not livin'.
All the best
Dave

Fisherman02
08-03-2002, 12:14 PM
thanks dave
ill let ya know when i catch a river whaler
cheers again jack

Luke
10-03-2002, 10:51 PM
Gday Jack,
light line like the other guys mentioned. The 6-8 kg line will do. We use a one metre steel trace with any hook over no:4 and I use a whole fillet of mullet soaked in tuna oil when I can't get live bait. Don't worry about being too fussy about neatness of the bait on the hook cause when they grab hold you'll know about it. Best times for us have been just before dark when the water slows down-about an hour before high tide and up to it(but you will get them any time). Humid sticky weather being a good time and let your bait sit out there and don't worry about checking it too often-be patient. Some guys use floats and its good but I prefer to sink mine with a good sized sinker. The best whaler we have caught so far was 158cm at Alberton. They are good eating but as Jack said release the ones you don't want to eat even if you have to cut the trace down near the hook. Watch fingers :)
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
11-03-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks Luke
so ya reckon it's better to let it sink to the bottom?
I was thinking of catching a catfish then using it as live bait with a part balloon as a float what do you think of this?
Also I have seen a trace and if you cut it how do I attach another trace or do I have to put a new one on?
Thanks Luke looking foreward to that boat trip in a few weeks
cheers jack

Luke
11-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Gday Jack,
you don't need to put on a new trace. Just get some crimps and crimp a new loop for your hook. Or you can buy the wire with the plastic type sheath and twist it up and melt it together with a lighter. A lot of people use the floats, I just don't very often though as I like to get a good cast out. Definately not neccesary to get it out far though.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
11-03-2002, 05:10 PM
cheers luke
I might try the lighter one as it means not getting any crimps just put the hook on twist and melt it let ya know when i catch one might even take a photo
cheers jack
www.angelfire.com/co4/fishingsite

Jason_L
11-03-2002, 07:13 PM
LUKE LUKE LUKE. ;D

u mentioned soaking a mullet fillit in tuna oil. #just wondering. have you tried that with barramundi... seams like a reasonable idea. xcept float the suspended bait.

will the barra go for the fillit of fish.

i spose. if not barra. then i'm bound to get something else... #i'll have to try it next time i go out..

also. how long do you soak the fish in the oil for? over night or just after you've placed the clean fillit on your hook?

thanks

Jack_Lives_Here
12-03-2002, 05:28 AM
Hey Jack,
I was looking through some old fishing mags and have dug out a March 2000 article on Brisbane river whalers and how too's.

I can either photocopy and fax to you or post the mag, whichever is good for you.

All the best
Dave

Fisherman02
12-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Awww Dave that would be fantastic thanks for helping out ill send an instant message to ya with my address
ummm Jason I think you have the wrong jack buddy!!
cheers jack (one of the jack's fella)