PDA

View Full Version : Sinker Moulds

Luke
30-12-2001, 03:44 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a sinker mould for tractor tyre sinkers (can't remember what they are called but thats what they look like) . I've looked in just about every tackle shop around Brisbane and they reckon they can't get them. I have most of the other moulds but this is one I'm having a problem finding. Thanks
Cheers Luke

Luke
04-01-2002, 07:31 AM
Yep they are hard to find. Might have to try making up something myself :)

fatman
05-01-2002, 05:10 AM
Hi Luke,
You may wan't to try CoriCo Tackle Supplies down here in Sydney, he has all maner of stuff like that.

CoriCo Tackle Supplies
Unit 2/14- 16 Albany St
St Leonards, NSW, 2065
Australia Ph: (02) 9438 4244

Sorry I can't help with something closer
Cheers
FATMAN

Luke
05-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Thanks Fatman,
Reddog is looking into it for me down in Newcastle and is heading up to Brissy next week so maybe there will be some joy there. If not I'll give them a bell. Thanks agian
Cheers Luke

Cremated_Reddog
05-01-2002, 11:12 AM
Hey Luke, your in luck buddy. have got hold of one mould for you at one of the guys I buy gear off.. he only has the smaller one of the 2 which is aboutthe size of a 20c peice, which I think that's what you wanted....

# Cheers Reddog

Luke
05-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks heaps Red,
that is the one. Give us a buzz when you get up and I'll fix you up for it and we'll go throw a few lures.
Cheers Luke

blaze
05-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Hi
i make all my sinker moulds out of plaster of paris (let it dry for a week before use other wise the molten lead will splater)
Robbie

Luke
05-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Thanks Blaze,
I might give that a try for some original designs. Never thought of that but works ok hey? Seeing lead doesn't need a high melting temp and cools reasonably quickly shouldn't hurt the cast? How do you get them hot enough to pour the lead and do you cool it in water after?
Cheers Luke

blaze
07-01-2002, 06:04 PM
Hi Luke
i use a lp gas blow lamp to head the lead , i first cut the lead into smaller pieces and put in a tin with a handle to enable the the lead to be poured, pour the lead into the mould, it cools quick(also Shrinks) remove from mould and drop in bucket of water. i make mainly star type and bend stainless wire and pull them from the mould with a pair of pliers. radiator repair shops a good source of clean lead ( solder)

Luke
08-01-2002, 03:20 AM
No worries Blaze,
what I mean is how do you heat the actual moulds or is that what you mean by getting shrinkage with the sinkers because when we cast ours we always heat the cast to prevent shrinkage or setting too quickly before the shape is set.
Cheers Luke

blaze
09-01-2002, 06:33 PM
hi luke
not sure what you are getting at but i mix a stiff mix of plaster of paris and insert my star sinker untill it is level (a bit of vasaline on the sinker first) and let the mould dry. and when dry i make my sinkers
hope that helps
cheers blaze

Luke
10-01-2002, 04:03 AM
Gday Blaze,
what I mean is with the steel moulds you have to heat them up with a gas torch before pouring the lead or otherwise the hot lead will hit the cold steel and the lead will set before actually forming the sinker inside the mould.
Cheers Luke

blaze
10-01-2002, 05:01 PM
hi luke
i do not use steel moulds at all. plaster is easy to work with anf moulds last for years
cheers robbie

Fisherman02
25-01-2002, 03:47 PM
Looking for a sinker mould the ones to make small sinkers
and anywhere i can get lead in brisbane for cheap or free any ideas thanks!!

Luke
25-01-2002, 03:53 PM
I can get you the lead mate. Heaps of it at work. Sinker moulds at most tackle shops. For the small sinkers you are better off buying them as they are cheap and working with lead is pretty toxic. I only make the bigger ones because they are so expensive.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
26-01-2002, 01:39 PM
maybe i'll do that but when ur a kid you are always wanting to do all that sorta stuff right? you know making your own moulds and who knows if i dont have anything to give my stepdad for xmas wrap a couple of hundred sinkers ;D he'll love them
lol
looking foreward to saturday luke!!

Ratsack
01-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Interesting thread, #:P
I have had success with the bigger sinkers but when it came to the smaller ones it was a disaster could not keep the mold or lead hot enough and ended up with 1/2 formed sinkers :-/

I must be behind the times also , what are star type sinkers you refer to Blaze and the tractor tyre type Luke is asking about, I have never heard of them.
Blaze the plaster moulds can u make all types of sinkers

??? ???

Luke
01-04-2002, 06:09 PM
Ratsack,
first thing I did with the smaller moulds was drill the opening out as I've done with all the moulds but more so with the smaller moulds and get them real hot.That is the only trick to it ;)

Luke
01-04-2002, 06:11 PM
The tractor tyre ones I'm talking about look exactly like a tyre with knobbies on the outside for a bit of grip.