PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Reels

team_mongo
09-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Just wandering what people think is a good high speed tuna reel. I have an Diawa EmblemX 5500 and its seems OK. Ive found 2 probs with it.

1. Plastic bail arm - so when you get braid wraps you have a very nice goove etched/cut by the time you realise.

2. Long throw spool sometimes get line underneath to the shaft (I suppose this is a common fault with most reels)

What do people think of the Shimanos - Thunnus, Stella etc or the Tica's - they look shiny enuf!

Cheers

George

Smithy
10-04-2002, 06:14 PM
The industry standard reel for this application is the Shimano TSS-4. I have never used braid on one so I can't comment about the performance there. The Thunnus reels are great pieces of kit and well worth the money but they aren't really Tuna reels. The difference in success between my Baitrunner BTR-6500 and TSS-4 is probably something like 10-1 purely because of the gear ratios. Another reel to consider is the waterproof Mitchell. Can't remember the model number but it has some yellow plastic on it and it is a Nautilas or something.

Jeremy
12-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Hey Smithy,

I had my BRT-6500 converted to a 6:1 reel by the replacement of some gears at a cost of about $50 3 years ago. Snapper reel and tuna reel in one now!

Jeremy.

team_mongo
12-04-2002, 03:12 PM
Hey Smithy,

I had my BRT-6500 converted to a 6:1 reel by the replacement of some gears at a cost of about $50 3 years ago. Snapper reel and tuna reel in one now!

Jeremy.

Jeremy, how did you get your BTR converted? I have one but presently 'id aint fast enuf!'.

George

Jeremy
13-04-2002, 03:07 AM
Neil at Jones tackle Lutwiche did the conversion for me. Pretty solid guess that he simply took gears from a TSS4. Give 'em a call and ask them or another mob if they will do it.

Jeremy