PDA

View Full Version : How to finish a twisted leader..

team_mongo
28-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Been using Harros Knotted Dogs.

I've found them to be excellent, but a bit exe.. About $5 a pop, and I typically go through 2-3 a session. So Ive experimented - trying to make my own, but the problem has been knotting the terminal end,

Does anyone have any ideas?

At the moment, ive been using crimps.

Cheers

George

Goodoogetter
29-04-2002, 07:21 PM
George,
I have been twisting my own leaders for quite a while, I do a lot of lure casting and change lure's often so the leader is tied to a snap, the knot I use is the palomar, just wet it well and snug down slow and even and make sure the loop comes over the clip and pulls down on the knot, the advantage of this knot is you have 4 strands of mono through the snap, swivel or hook eye therefore almost maintaining the full breaking strain of the leader, if you want to finish in a loop a quick knot is to make a loop turn it back along the main line, wrap the loop 3 times around the standing main line and pass the loop back through the double loop and wet and snug down.
Most commonly used knots will work but because of the twisted nature of the leader they are sometimes hard to close, try a locked half blood knot, if it is hard to snug down try tying it with the twists in the other direction, I have found this knot to work well also.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Howard.