PDA

View Full Version : Alvey question/comments

Scottie
03-06-2002, 10:53 PM
Greetings from Chicago. As some of you may know I've become an Alvey advocate, and now use them for all my fishing. I notice Alvey is now producing an extended base version of the 500BCXL that matches to an under 7 foot Snyder. I thought the extended base Alveys were intended for longer rods to prevent line slap. So I'm a bit confused on this one.
Also, I'd love to see a 4 or 4 and a half inch Alvey reel with a proper drag system. Something like a 400BCXL or 450BCXL. That type of reel mated to a 6 or 6 and a half foot graphite medium action rod would make a great bass (north American) set-up. Y'know, a rod with some backbone to yank those hawgs onto the boat deck. I have a 45B that I've matched to an old 6 and a half foot glass rod that I use for pitchin' and flippin. But I'd sure love something like I've just described. The Alvey easy cast system makes it easy to pitch and flip, so that's a must if they were to ever produce a small full feature reel.
Thanks for listening to me think out loud.

# Scottie, Chicago, Illinois where the smallmouth bass are going bonkers

Andrew
06-06-2002, 07:40 AM
Well goodaaay maaate,
there has been a bream spinning revolution over here and light lures and stiff rods and braid line in 4pd are the go. The Team Alvey guys have been using their 5in Alveys with braid and the long stem on the reel, originally invented to prevent line slap on long rods ,is also handy bream spinning with short rods as they can wrap their hand around the base of the reel and flick the lures out to snags where the bream live. Yes. an Alvey would have to be best for draging a bream or bass out of a snag but IMHO the 4 inch would take too long to wind back in, cheers, Andrew.

imported_admin
06-06-2002, 08:57 AM
Hi

The 5000XTLD and FW7 have been added to the site as they have been used by Team Alvey to fish the Bass comps over here and they are also using the combo to fish the Bream comps.

You can read a review on the combo at http://www.tackletour.com/reviewalveysnyder.html

The review makes comment of the first guide needs to be moved up the rod towards the tip. This has been done and all FW7 rods we sell now are the new version.

Hope this helps out.

Scottie
06-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Andrew and Steve, thanks for your comments. I can see how the extended base would be a big help, in that you could wrap your hand around the base. Well, it looks like I'll be placing an order for this new combo. It sounds fantastic, just the thing for the type of bass fishing I do. BTW, I've been using spiderwire fusion braid on my Alveys and a co-polymer leader with great success.

Thanks fellas, Scottie

aussiebasser
07-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi

The 5000XTLD and FW7 have been added to the site as they have been used by Team Alvey to fish the Bass comps over here and they are also #using the combo to fish the Bream comps.

You can read a review on the combo at http://www.tackletour.com/reviewalveysnyder.html

The review makes comment of the first guide needs to be moved up the rod towards the tip. This has been done and all FW7 rods we sell now are the new version.

Hope this helps out.

Hey, Cool new Logo Ausfish. :o