PDA

View Full Version : Bomber lures

Steve_Ooi
11-06-2002, 04:56 AM
Here’s a tip that a lot of guy’s up north have been employing for quite a while now with lures such as gold bombers that loose there reflective covering. Basically the lure before use is given a good covering of epoxy, such as a rod building type or Devcon, the extra coating just protects it from those knocks that usually soon sees your lure looking more like the face of a former heavy weight title boxer.
With the gold bombers I’ve found the bodies to come in two forms of plastic, some have a white /cream coloured body and others a clear plastic body, generally I found the clear bodied ones to retain the gold metallic plating better, has anyone else had similar experiences. You can usually tell which is which by the bib, the clear one have a clear bib while the white ones are covered.
When upgrading the trebles/split rings, the extra weight may stop it from sitting higher on the water surface when stationary, This may effect the action that can be attained with that jerky retrieve used off the top of the water to achieve that splashing noise, many have found it better to remove the front trebles all together so that they can still retain the action of the original lure.

Cheers and tight lines…. :)

Poony

Fitzy
11-06-2002, 07:41 AM
Hi Tarpoony,
What do you to revive a gold bomber that aint got a scrap of gold left on em? They still seem to catch fish tho!
Seen alot of northern fishos who take the middle treble off & leave the front & rear ones in place (after upgrading to VMCs of course). And that split ring on the tow point gets the big heave-ho too.

fitz

Steve_Ooi
11-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Fitzy i reckon i must have a dozen of the goldless one laying around..
Every now and again i go through the lure box and pull out all of the old stuff and touch them up or give them a respray and a new lease of life, such as with the goldless bombers,
Even the totally clear ones catch fish as they seem to reflect light really well. The air inside them being of a different refractive index of that of the water must help them still stand out.

Poony

Brett_Finger
11-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Poonman.
Capt Barry Cross (whom jack Erskine says is the best Glod Bomber fisheerman in the world) does in fact do pretty much the same as Fitzy has commented on.

1 Remove the split ring off tow point.

2 Remove middle trebble compleatly (leave split ring)rattles)

3 Replace trebbles with VMC Tripple strenght.

4 Remove frount Split Ring compleatly,cut eye of trebble and bend open with pliers,hook trebble onto lure. and bend closed :o (this seems strange but... the removeal of frount split ring stops the proublem occering where the frount trebble hooks up on the shoulder of the lure) thay have incedently never lost a fish to that eye opening.

5 Replace rear sptliring with 4x halco splitring.

6 coat lure with 5 min devcon or likes. (i have seen a lure Robert erskine used to C&R a swag of barra around the 850 mark, and the thing still looked new )

as usual please forgive the poor spelling ect...
Hookin, The Big Fella!!

Muzzy
11-06-2002, 11:30 PM
I put smaller hooks on the front and all the other crap with split rings on there...

i found if ya have a gold bomber that has flaked and it happens to be a white under bodied lure this makes it better...

But if one was to use the tiger lily then paint chips dont become a factor as its all inside out type stuff aint it...

Oi have you guys seen the rain bow trout coloured bombers, lets say my gold one has been dry for a while now....

go the green spear head.... beats em all any way hahahahaha

Muzzy
11-06-2002, 11:32 PM
Fitzy i reckon i must have a dozen of the goldless one laying around..
Every now and again i go through the lure box and pull out all of the old stuff and touch them up or give them a respray and a new lease of life, such as with the goldless bombers,
Even the totally clear ones catch fish as they seem to reflect light really well. The air inside them being of a different refractive index of that of the water must help them still stand out.
Poony

or give a translucent bait fish effect like most bait ya can see though them sorta, this is one of the main things behind my faith n the tiger lilly...