PDA

View Full Version : Alvey Reels

Fisherman02
29-06-2002, 04:58 AM
hey guys
well I have finally entered the wild world of Alveys, but there is one thing I just have to ask I can't believe that all you do if you get sand in is wash them int he sea then when you get back home just rinse em under tap water and ur done!
Is that all you do or do you have to oil them every now and again?
As I payed for this combo outta my own money i'm gonna take extra good care of it:)
thanks in advanced
jack

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-06-2002, 07:03 AM
jack,
firstly keep it out of the sand. If you do get it sanded when fishing rinse it in clear water in the surf. When you get home yeah, rinse it under tap water / in a bucket of fresh water moving all the moving parts when you do - don't blast it with the hose as this can drive stuff inside & alter the wrap of the line on it making a tangle in your next cast a possiblity.
Once rinsed leave it to dry out of the sun - always store it with the drag backed off seperate from your rod.
The occasional drop of reel oil on the felt plug for the handle to stop it squeaking. Once a year break the reel down clean & relube the axle with a small amount of grease. Don't overlube an alvey - it encourages sand to stick & defeats the purpose.
chris

Fisherman02
29-06-2002, 08:15 AM
thanks chris
ill probaly just get a full service on it once a year as i'm not really a mechanical man.
cheers jack

CHRIS_aka_GWH
29-06-2002, 10:43 AM
learn to do it jack. There a good post & pic from a month or so back on an ABU reel showing how to lay a reel out. An alvey is a lot simpler. Basically you lay it out in the order you take it off in an uncluttered space. Keep the part diagram you should have recieved in the box as a guide.
The reason I say to learn is the better you know your equipment the better you can use it & one night you'll be standing on a beach surrounded by voracious 5kg tailor with the odd 15kg jew coming in and your line will get caught inside your reel. You will then be faced with the choice of walking away ??? or quickly pulling the reel apart by torchlight & getting back in the water for a legendary session ;D.
cheers
chris

Fisherman02
29-06-2002, 12:22 PM
hey chris,
yeah fantastic advice. I might just get someone to show me how, to avoid screwing it up.
cheers jack

The_Walrus
30-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Hi Jack,

Just a hint. Before it get all gruby or lost, make a photocopy of the page that shows th exploded diagram of your Alvey, have it laminated & keep it in a folder. ;D

I have done this for all my reels and it's great when it comes time to do a service (or order parts). http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

Luc

Fisherman02
01-07-2002, 07:51 AM
thanks walrus will do:D
cheers jack