PDA

View Full Version : Line & Lure Calc. for Rods

leroy
27-07-2002, 02:37 PM
I recently came across a fishing guide called "Anglers Omnibus" first printed in 1960, 7th reprint 1972.

A lot of the info is still relevent, some makes you laugh, some is food for thought and some ???

In the area of the ??? I would like opinions on the following, keeping in mind that rod construction appears to have been cane, fibreglass and some new fangled graphites.

To calculate the maximum poundage of the line to use for any given rod: Get one person to hold the butt of the rod and then get a second person to hang on to a set of scales connected to the line. Now reel in the line until the butt of the rod is at right angles (90 degrees) :P to the tip of the rod, the line and the scales. Now read the scales.

For each pound of pull shown on the scales you can use five pound of line and one ounce of lure/sinker weight.

So if the scales show 2 pound then you can use 10 pound line and cast 2 ounces of lure/sinker. This should also be the ideal combination for distance casting on said rod.

Well ??? What do you guys reckon ??? Does this compute ??? would it apply to all rods or only cane fibreglass and early graphites ??? Or should I tear that page out and put it through the shredder ???