PDA

View Full Version : penn international or not???

fishy_phil
10-04-2002, 06:44 AM
just wondering what reel to buy for a 15kg custom rod ive had built for bottom knocking trolling etc
nothing over $1000 im thinking penn 50 T
replies gratefully accepted

phil

Smithy
10-04-2002, 06:08 PM
I'd go for a Shimano TLD-30 2 Speed. Weight is the main factor in this choice. The Penn will be heaps heavier. If your budget stretches to $1000 a 2 Speed 50 is also an option but weight would be against this reel as well.

Stuart
12-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Smithy said it, a TLD 30 2sp is by far the best beet. I have been running the same set up for years. You could even look at a Diawa LD50 H its light and around the same size as aTLD20. If you get the drag dun up its one hell of an outfitt.

Stuart

uglysteve
28-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Hey Phil

I have an Albacore 50 which is brought in by shakespeare. There hand made in Italy and come with a 5 year warranty unlike the Shimano and Penn. Have had mine for nere on 2 years now and have been more than pleased. Most tackle shops dont carry them but can purchase on request. In the past they were always a couple of hundred dollars more than the Shimano or the penn but you get what you pay for....

Well worth the investment.. Actually was in my local tackle shop the other day and heard that the pricing had come down dramatically and is a hell of a lot more competitive.

Stevy

clutter
30-07-2002, 03:21 PM
I'm with Smithy and Stuart. I run both a TLD25 and TLD30 2sp on my outside rigs. They have the same spool capacity but the 30 is of course a 2 speed and comes into its own when fishing the deeper water. Gets it back up a bit quicker and has the option of a bit of low down grunt. As for warranty, I've had both reels for over 3 years without one hint of a problem. The TLD 50 2sp is a bloody big reel and takes a fair bit of string, all depends on what you are going to use it for. The bigger spool diameter however lets you get back up even quicker than the 30 which is a bit more of a benefit again. Cheers Clutter.

Master_Jig_Builder
31-07-2002, 06:34 AM
The TLD's are hard to go past I agree.

At the same time I just bought a Tica 30 wide and some comments from me on that can be found in the Tica post above if interested.

Lucky_Phill
05-08-2002, 06:08 AM
I use Shimmano for my overhead gear, and I believe you can't go past it.\

By the way, Penn offer a 5 year warranty.

There is some good gear comming out of Italy soon, so if you're not in a hurry, ask around to see who's getting it in, in your area.

Cheers Phill

fisho
07-08-2002, 01:06 PM
I use TLD's and they perform admirably. ;)

landy1
07-08-2002, 01:15 PM
g'day all
cant offer much advice as the furtherest offshore i have fished is Moreton :-[ , but i have only ever heard fantastic things about the TLD's i used a small Penn before i broke my stick. but i have heard rumours that the TLD's are about to be replaced/upgraded/something as the model is over a decade old. still as i said not a lot of experience, but you might be able to do a deal ;D
cheers

dudley
07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Phil,
i have got three shimano trinidads. They are excellent, and that's why i have 3.I use the TN20 and TN 16 for casting.
The TN 30 is spooled up with 700+
of 30lb braid. The retrieve is 6:1, so for bottom jigging and trolling, it is fast.A red hot drag system and strong gears. They sell for about $700.
Check them out, you won't be dissapointed. I own a few internationals as well, but when it comes to the lighter stuff, i seem to grab the trinidads.
Good luck,
Dudley

jezza
11-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Some of the Okuma models look to be the goods,but have'nt checked them out myself.....maybe another option or headache for you!
Until next time...