PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasting Rod

davo189
28-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Howdy,

I too was after a bit of advise on a baitcaster rod and I am hopeing that someone can recommend a suitable brand, model etc, although my budget is limited to about $60.

What I am looking for is a fiberglass rod, 6', either 8 or 9 guides, and in the 5-8kg bracket. I used one that a mate of mine owns about 12 months ago - the blank was a mustard type colour and I think it was in the 6-8kg range. It was a magic rod but he has gone awol somewhere in the NT and I am told he won't be back till Sept....lucky B..

There are truckloads around in the 5'6" 4kg range but I would like something with a little bit more grunt. I am going to add my Shimano Corsair which is currently spooled with 10kg BB.

Thanks in advance. :)

jezza
01-05-2002, 05:57 PM
G'day mate,gee,that's a tight budget alright!About the only thing I could suggest is to check out the Shimano range(backbone,technium and taipan).Next guess would be a Silstar Power Tip,or Penn Power Stick.These maybe a bit over your limit,but in my opinion only,better than the Shimano options.Still,you could blow the budget away and get an Ugly Stik! All the best.Until next time...

davo189
03-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Thanks Jezza, I'll check out the technium & taipan ranges to see what available. Getting one that's 6' seems to be the issue so far. Cheers,

Davo :)

Rolcar52
03-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Davo,
Abu Garcia make a 6' 2" Barra rod rated for 5 - 10 Kg line & 10 - 30 gm lures, rod has 9 underbound guides and is supposedly designed for braided line, a bit out of your $60.00 budget but not too much at $100.00

jezza
12-05-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey Davo,have you got one yet?If so , what was your choice?Interested to know!
Until next time...

davo189
14-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Jezza, I checked out the Shimano Technium and Taipan range - a couple of nice sticks but all in the 5'6" bracket. I saw a nice Abu the other day for about $80 but unfortunately mothers day took precidence last week. I have been trying to find out if Wilson make one in the 4-8kg & 6' category. Will keep you posted. Davo :)

jezza
15-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Hang in there mate,the right one's probably just around the corner!
Until next time...

stevedemon
15-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Hi Davo
if your looking in that price range try a signature.g.h 5.8-6ft with a spider overhead 1860-G I've had mine for about two years now and i have had some pretty good success as well as lost some good fish as i'm only running 9lb line Beenleigh Bait and Tackle have them for around the price your looking for as a combo or try your local bait and tackle shop the other shop to try is the Tackle warehouse don't ask me the address i've been told they have some good prices on bait casters or Amart
catch you later and good fishing

davo189
13-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey Jezza,

Just to let you know that I ended up buying a Silstar Power Tip baitcaster - 1.8m, 6-10kg, 9 Fuji guides and the best part was that I picked it up on special at ####### for $48!!!

Can't wait to try it out.

Cheers,

Davo.