PDA

View Full Version : light game outfit

Rockboy
29-08-2002, 08:37 AM
I will be in NZ, Whakatane during there Game fishing season Nov to Apr.

I need help on getting a light game outfit for rock and boat fishing.

I would like a 15kg outfit siutable for kingies on the rocks and snapper and other game species on a boat.

My budget is up to $1000, but ofcourse that doesnt mean I go in for the overkill.

Something that can handle decent snapper and step up to handle decent kingies...

thanks guys

dudley
29-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Rockboy,
i fish, land based game at green cape, at Eden, NSW quite regularly.
Here you hook onto some large kingfish and tailor up to 10 lbs.
I use a kilwell livre fibre blank(zxs70xj) which is 7' in lenghth and rated at 10/15 kgs.I made this up as a live bait rod with game reelseat, gimbal, fuji game runners(non roller) and tip.The blank is around $150 and if you can make it yourself, it will be under $300 or you can buy it off the rack, made by wilson tackle in QLD for a bit less. I also use a Shimano trinidad 30 with about 750mt of 30 lb braid. The trinidad Cost me $550 about a year ago.
Mate this is quality stuff and i use it out of a boat, and it is under your budget, with the braid. I don't know where you are located, but to spend that sort of cash, youcan negotiate with the shop. If you are in vic. i can put you onto a good retailer.
Good luck.
Dudley

Rockboy
30-08-2002, 02:20 AM
thanks mate!!! ;D ;D

I will be in vic for a few more weeks before I go off to Whakatane (WH is pronounced "FA" :-/ :-X).

Yeah I am getting a few conflicting advice from the various people I have spoken to.

The options include...
Calcutta 700
TLD 15
Trinidad 30

Essentially I would like a 15kg outfit that I wouldnt need to upgrade as soon as I hit the Bay of Plenty kingies. The guys are saying they usually encounter 20kg plus kingies...

dudley
30-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Rockboy,
if you wander down to JV Marine in springvale road Keysborough, you will find a vast range to choose from.
The reason that i recommend my out fit, is that i thoroughly researched before i bought. The calcutta is a nice reel but too small and light. The trinidad 30 has the capacity and 5 bearings with a 6:1 retrieve, which interests me for bottom jigging as well.
I am heading up to Narooma later this year, taking this out fit as well as my stand up 50 gear.
As i said JV's have all this there to look at, and you could do a good deal for the lot.
Again good luck.
Dudley

Rockboy
31-08-2002, 02:43 AM
thanks guys for the replies...
I also lean towards the Trinidad 30 as it seems I could start at 15kg and move up in line class more easily...

i have also found a Ugly Stik 2 piece 8 foot LBG 10kg rod...I would like a 2 piece for my travelling...

what does everyone do here when they travel with their 1 piece rods???

My main concern is...

WILL THE UGLY 10KG HANDLE FISHING 15KG...20KG...25KG??????????

do I need a 15kg rod if fishing 15kg line...

thanks

jaybee
31-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Hey rockboy try some of the tackleworld shops..they have a good deal going on penn at present..i just bought a 6ft pen mariner with a penn 330gti for 198..have found it really good in the boat..however you might be able to do a deal on a longer rod...and suitable reel..the reel on foreign exchange according to the pen site is worth 180 here...go figure eh...so with a grand to spend you should come up with some super gear. hope this helps.
cheers.