PDA

View Full Version : Gang hooks

blaze
08-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Hi all
please tell me how every body stores the gang hooks after use. mine all seem to rust and end up in a tangle. I keep all my hooks in sealed bags before i use them and they store well but after that the problems start. is the any ready available product to spray them with
cheers
blaze

Lucky_Phill
08-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Yeah Blaze, I tend to throw them into a Mrs Crockets container while out in the ocean and upon return I have a shoot load of gear in this container. I place it under the tell tale water while flushing tghen a quick rinse in hot soapy water and finally ( or even this will do ) spray them with Tackle Guard ( 'bout $9 ) from any tackle store.

webby
08-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi blaze, Most of the gang are made from inferior metal, and all seem to rust, bit of crc or as phil said tackle guard, storing i have some pieces of stryine??? foam and place the made up one on these pieces of foam, saves all the hassles of tangles.
regards

Fisherman02
08-09-2002, 03:48 PM
hi blaze
I'd have to agree with Brian on this one. He actually got me into using foam, what a simple and fantastic way of storing any rigs. Lay flat doesn't blunt hooks and isn't hard to get out if the fish are on the bite!
cheers jack

clutter
08-09-2002, 06:03 PM
I spray my gangs with a bit of "pure and simple" cooking spray. I also store them sandwiched between foam, when you need one you just pull them out. Once I've used them I usually through them out and rig a new set for the next trip. Always sharpen them also.
Clutter

blaze
08-09-2002, 07:46 PM
Hi all
thanks for the responces, for a while i thought i might be the only mug havin trouble. the foam sounds like a good option. i have used crc in the past but tend to think that it has anti fish properties, may try fishoil they use for rust proofing cars.
cheers

Lucky_Phill
09-09-2002, 12:48 PM
If that fails Blaze, use VMC hooks. They are made from Permasteel and basically don't rust unless you attach a swivel to them. Very sharp out of the box and good strength. Try the 9255PS type, good for trolling as well as they are straight.

OH ! and they are lots cheaper than Mustad etc. ;D

Heath
09-09-2002, 03:07 PM
We store all our gangs in foil or plastic bags.

After making the gangs, fold them on top of each other ( similar to dropping chain on the floor) cut a bit of foil & fold the foil around the hooks & then store back into the hook box. Simple, effective & they do not rust. If we have ready made rigs with gangs, they are put into freezer bags, with a knot at the top & then put in a tupperware container.