View Full Version : ABU Drag washers

scott_b
06-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Can anyone tell me ware I can buy smoothy drag washers for ABU thanks
wamjam.

dudley
06-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Wamjam,
i assume you are talking about overhead reels, but no matter.
I make my own out of teflon sheet.
I get it from bearing suppliers and it's as thin as normal washer material.
All you do is mark it out, cut or punch the circle and centre, clean up any rough edges, and your'e away.You can also mix and match with other types of washers, until you get the feel you want.
With teflon you cannot lock up the drag, but you get a smooth drag right the way thru until almost lockup.
Hope this helps.
Dudley

scott_b
07-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks dudley
I have a 5600 ABU overhead and normally I would jump at the idea of making my own washers but I'm in a bit of hurry as I'm going away in a few days.
I will sus it out when I get home , thanks, wamjam.

Balistapus
11-09-2002, 08:42 AM
I bought some "smoothies" made by Jack Eriskine from Tackle Wharehouse at Coorparoo. They originally sold me 7000 washers and i wanted 6500 but gladly exchanged them when i showed them the problem!! They should be around $20 for the set
Mick :)

sooty_mad
11-09-2002, 11:55 AM
Wamjam

Like Balistapus I also bought some Jack Erskine drag washers for my ABU 5600.

They really work fantastic with a super smooth drag right up until lockup. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to was that from free movement to lockup was only about half a turn.

As I fish fairly light, I mainly use preset drags and this was where these washes really performed well. They maintained a consistent drag loading all day under all conditions, hot or cold.

They're not cheap but they sure work well. In fact I just put a set in my ABU 4600.

Regards... David