PDA

View Full Version : Help on baitcaster method please

CuStOmX
05-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Hey all
I recently purchased a baitcaster. It is the first time i have ever owned one. I have no idea how to put new line on what knot to put on it etc
Please help with any methods.
Thanx :)

jaybee
06-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Hi Cust..most reels come with an explanatory guide on how to tie a knot on a reel...if not..just use what u usually use...learning to cast is the fun part..LOL...but that all boils down to the line and rod and how keen you are at casting a plug I could be wrong tho.
cheers.

Finnie
06-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Customx,

Mate, if you don't know how to unravel a birds-nest by the time you've learnt to cast a baitcaster you'll never figure it out! A trick I saw on telly somewhere (might've been Harro on Rex Hunt or something) was to whack a sinker on your rod, and sit in front of the telly clicking your spool off, letting the sinker fall to the floor while thumbing the spool softly and stopping the over-run by applying more pressure as it hits. Then wind it up and do it all again.

By the time you've done this for a few TV shows you'll have driven everyone else in the room nuts and managed to get the whole thumbing procedure to avoid over-runs firmly in your subconscious! Worked for me mate, now all I have to do is figure out how to keep it there when I haven't used the baitcaster for a while.....damn I'm good at unravelling those birds-nests though :P

Cheers,
Finnie

scott_b
06-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Cust
Don't put expensive line on because you will probably have to cut it off soon ,ugly birds nest.
Practise makes perfect.
wamjam

CuStOmX
07-09-2002, 07:57 AM
Thank you for the help everyone i will figure it out.Yer i will slap some cheap line on it.

aquarius
08-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Customx...Not sure as to what brand of baitcaster you have but if you want a tip to help overcome that nuisance birds nest thing try this.
You should have on the side of your reel a small knob.....wind this knob up as far as it will go then attach a sinker to your line....with the sinker at the rod tip slowly back off that tension knob until the sinker only just starts to move towards the ground...just remember to do this each time you decrease or increase the sinker..lure, etc weight.
Don,t forget to thumb that line the moment that sinker hits the water.
Like the others have said just keep practicing mate...good luck.
Cheers #Brent ;)

Rev
09-09-2002, 07:07 AM
CuStOmX,

I cannot believe your Tackle Store couldn't help you with this. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm21.gif

Time to get a new Tackle Store me thinks.

Any store should be able to help you with everything from getting line on to the reel, right through to casting methods. If they can't or won't then go elsewhere, simple. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm30.gif

Unless you bought it from K-Mart, Big-W or similar, then the service you got is about as good as it will get from the Department Stores. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm3.gif

Sorry for being so blunt, but it is something I see across a few chat boards and think it is a ridiculous situation when people buy tackle they know nothing about because the store doesn't provide an adequate service. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm24.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Sure you might pay a little more at a proper Tackle Store, but at least you don't end up with a piece of junk that you don't know how to even put line on. Because that is all it is until you can use it, no matter how much you paid for it.

Once again, sorry for being blunt, but I just see it too many times.

Get a good Tackle Store and help with everything you purchase as a beginner should come with all of the hints and tips you need to get underway with your new gear.

Rev.

CuStOmX
09-09-2002, 07:22 AM
Rev
Coming from a small town with just the two tackle stores both the same with no service i am used to working things out for myself

Cheers

Rev
10-09-2002, 10:02 AM
CuStOmX,

I hear you, but it is still not good enough.

Play one off against the other, citing service as your main concern, then see how it goes.

I suggest you buy one of the Geoff Wilson books about knots and start from there.

The line on an overhead goes onto the top of the reel, so it must come off the top of the spool from the line you bought.

When starting to cast adjust the brake or cast control to ensure that when the casting weight hits the ground the spool stops and there is no overrun.

Start with a side cast, this way if you let go too late then it doesn't slam into the ground.

Don't try to cast out sight to start with, maybe just a few metres and progress from there using a practice weight of at least 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce.

Once you get good with this then let me know and I will pass on some more tips on the progression to overhead casting.

Don't rush things, take your time.

Rev.

Fisherman02
10-09-2002, 03:34 PM
G'day Rev
mate while your giving tips away for free ;D could ya give me some advice on doing an overhead cast?
I have conquered the side cast but when casting overhead no matter how hard I try I always let go too late and it slams onto the ground luckily I stop the spool as soon as it hits the ground or I would be dealing with a massive birds nest :o
cheers mate
jack

spinna
10-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Hi Cust

Well my only advice to you is cheap line as some of the other guys have said and practice makes perfect

happy casting
cheers spinna ;D

Rev
11-09-2002, 07:02 PM
Jack,

This is the most difficult part, so take your time and once again don't try to cast too far.

I have difficulty in displaying this to people in person as I'm left-handed and when I show them they get it all upside down trying to transpose to right-handed methods.

Use a slighly heavier than normal weight to start with (3/4 ounce)

Stand square on to the direction of your cast.

The first thing is the position of the reel in your hand.

Hold the rod & reel as standard with the reel fitting into the palm of your hand.

By turning the rod sideways make sure your hand is on top of the rod (your thumb should be aimed towards the middle of your body and the reel handles should be pointing directly up or down, depending on the reel model you have). This enables your wrist to move in a more natural manner, as in waving limp wristed. (Only natural for me casting) If you try it with your thumb pointing up you will find at the end of your forward cast there is an unnatural pressure on your wrist to bend in a manner it doesn't want to.

Now the casting motion, with rod in front of you, pointing to the target, lift the rod to your ear and then, basically drop it back to where it started from.

This must be done in one motion to ensure a desirable loading on the rod (do not stop the rod behind your head).

Do this a few times until you feel the rod doesn't shake when you move it forwards in the cast.

Don't try to whip the rod through the casting motion, save this for later.

Lift your thumb off the spool only slightly, it should be just brushing the spool. By doing this you learn to feel for slight overruns as they are happening.

Your thumb should be lifting as the rod reaches the 45 degrees above horizontal, although you will learn to feel when the lure wants to take off.

As I said don't try to cast too far to start with.

Some tips for body movement and positioning. Try not to move your body and just use your arm to start with. Also try to avoid a reaching action as this tends to cause problems with trying to whip the rod through the cast.

Give it a go and see how you go.

Rev.

P.S. Don't be afraid to do the cast control up a little more to start with.

Rev.

Fisherman02
12-09-2002, 03:23 PM
thanks Rev
sounds good to me. Will try it this weekend
jack

spinna
12-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Well done rev 8) i to am left handed and all but 1 of my reels are overhead :D. Casting them is 1 thing trying to explane how to cast is another but you did very well ;)

cheers spinna :D ;).

Finnie
18-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Just another tip that worked for me in the days when I was slamming the cast into the ground in front of me (he says as if he doesn't still do it!). When casting, make the conscious effort to "lob" your casts into the air. I found that if I concentrated on lobbing the cast into the air like I was throwing a basketball (releasing at about 10 o'clock - or 45 degrees) I didn't screw it up so much.

After having said that though, when the frustration peaks, I just go for a heavier lure and screw the cast control knob up a little tighter!

Cheers,
Finnie

jaybee
18-09-2002, 03:11 PM
hey finnie i like the lobbing idea..was casting from one side of the creek to the other one day..put a heavier lure on an wham..one mangrove on the other side bout 3 mtrs up waaaaa..not to worry try anoter one wham same tree..do you think i give up there... ??? nup but i did after 4 lures and went back to a lighter one..i will never learn..but one day i will have a go with my left hand at casting.. overhead reel if i can find the plugs
cheers.

Fisherman02
18-09-2002, 03:22 PM
hey joe
sometimes I reckon your born to lose lures ::)
ROFLMAO
cheers jack

jaybee
18-09-2002, 03:28 PM
wombat was with me on that day..blame him..lost around $50 that day..all for a cod, and a throw back bream..the cod was released as well felt sorry for him/her..
such is life
cheers.

Fisherman02
18-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Ooooooooh well that explains it all ::)
cheers jack

jaybee
18-09-2002, 03:42 PM
just thought of something jack..maybe i should spray the lure with wd 40 then if it gets stuck in a tree it will slide out..what u reckon http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif

Fitzy
18-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Some good advice there.
A coupla things I'd like to add is that when casting into the wind or when trying to get optimal distance, it is very important to load the rod with constant acceleration, as opposed to a short sharp punch. A power cast is a prime time that over runs will occur.
Also be sure to hit the brakes (with your thumb on the spool) just as you make contact with the water. One of the main causes of over runs.

There aint no better teacher than time on the water. ;D

Bend a rod & educate them thumbs!

fitz..

vince
18-09-2002, 04:09 PM
hi there the best way to stop birdsnest even an expert caster what you should do is.
1 take line out as far as you can cast and few meters more.
2 secure the line left on the reel with sticky tape than wind the line back that you took off this way you don,t have backlash and even if you do it want be a birds nest, and if a fish takes your line of, it will only tear the sticky tape. well hope this will help you .
regards vince.

Thud
19-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Vince,
Ever had the tape come off when a fish is running and jam up in your level wind?
Only one word to describe that experience.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Cheers.