PDA

View Full Version : New rod?

Fisherman02
05-09-2002, 03:32 PM
hey guys
I got another oppurtunity to go to kmart today and came across a pretty good rod. It was I think a Victor 7" supertip. It was much like the rod that rex hunt was using last saturday very very light tip and stronger body for use with whiting and bream.
Has anyone used this rod before?
It cost $29.99
cheers jack

jaybee
05-09-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi Jack..rule of thumb you only get what you pay for..but then a you cant expect much in a 7" rod eh LOL...just had to have a go at you ..i think you mite mean 7'
cheers.

Fisherman02
05-09-2002, 04:03 PM
hey joe
thats the strange thing you got a 7ft rod there and it says on the label printed and everything 7" maybe just a mistake, must be made in Taiwan
cheers jack

jaybee
05-09-2002, 04:07 PM
i'd steer clear eh...your choice..probably better of saving for something decent and get a life time use out of it. Usually you find with the cheaper rods the runners too often give way.
cheers.

Fisherman02
05-09-2002, 04:10 PM
yeah was just trying to find out if anyone had one.
cheers jack

fishy_phil
05-09-2002, 04:39 PM
hey jaybee
you cant mean a graphite rod!!! ive got a rod that was $18 and had it for over 5 years and i had a g loomis IM6 graphite rod and the way i fish, it never lasted the first trip!!! by the way the way i fish is stop or pop. it was rated 4-6kg and using 7.5lb line it broke using normal drag for this type of fishing. by the way the $18 rod was a rex hunt signature series baitcaster.
this is why im never going to recommend a graphite rod. in my experience the best rods are the good old shakespere ugly stik-the best rod ever made, my first rod was one but it was lost in a kyaking accident involving a large bass in fast water and a capsize :-[ :-[ last year. before i had it my dad had it for about 18 years!!! it was a 1977 model. you should save your pennies and get an original ugly stik. IT WILL LAST A LIFE TIME. cheers
phil

jaybee
05-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi phil
I'm a wilson man myself, and penn never had any problems with them if they are looked after properly..all a matter of maintenance..however i have bought cheaper sticks only to find the runners give way..my bro just had a 7ft shimano taipan i think it was break on a snapper and they didnt want to replace it..first trip out..all to do with the angle of the dangle apparantly ..he won in the end
cheers

Big_Muddie
08-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Hi Jack.

That rod sounds very similar to the Jarvis Walker Supertip 7' model - currently $24 at Big W.

Despite it's low price, you may well find that it is a great rod for the sort of fishing you described.

I have 3 of the JW Supertips - they are excellent for bream, whiting and flathead. They are also very strong and can take a beating. Best fish caught on mine has been a 3.6Kg Trevally on 3Kg Platypus Pretest (my son caught that). Took a while to land but the rod performed flawlessly.

Generally I agree with the "you get what you pay for" sentiment, but sometimes there are nice surprises in the "cheap" lines.

I bought my first one just to see how it went - and as I said i now have 3. I have lots of other rods too - some very expensive and others almost as cheap as the $24 model - they all work well and have their place in my fishing armoury.

Regards,

Michael

Fisherman02
10-09-2002, 03:41 PM
hey michael
they could be very similar but am very sure it was a victor it was 3 piece the tip came off and halfway down as well. I felt the tip and could easily bend it to touch the rod.
cheers jack
p.s sorry for the late reply don't think i enabled the 'notify of replies' box

Big_Muddie
13-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Jack,

Yep, the Victor and the JW Supertip are very similar.

Regards,

Michael

Randall
14-09-2002, 04:28 AM
Jack, I reckon I might add my 2 bobs worth here as well.
Rods are a very personal thing. Your choice in rods depends so much on the anglers requirements and purpose. That K-Mart deal sounds OK for the angler who wants an all-round rod for mainly bait fishing bread and butter species, but for casting, i`m afraid it would leave much to be desired.
I have a good collection of off-the-shelf rods now and recently I have been having my rods custom made to suit the style of fishing I do.
Personally, I use nothing but graphite. Fibreglass does`nt cut it for me in the casting and fish fighting department, (Particularly Casting!!)

My rods are built on the back side of the spine, this is because I cast thousands of times a day. It can be built on the front side of the spine also. This will see the rod recover quickly in the fish fighting department.

I will show you exactly what I mean next time I see you Jack. Might even have a great little spin stick that you can have now that your becoming more and experienced.

Till we meet again.
RG

Fisherman02
14-09-2002, 03:27 PM
thanks Randall
I personally wouldn't really know the difference between graphite and fibreglass but can cast with just about any rod put in my hand pretty well.
cheers jack

Finnie
18-09-2002, 09:35 AM
In my experience the difference between a graphite and fibreglass rod? I felt like crying a hell of a lot more when I busted my graphite rod http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif

blaze
18-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi all
just to add my 2 bobs worth
I own both fibaglass and graphite rods and i dont fish heavy lines 1kg to 10 kg and i would rather lay back into an old glass rod than the graphite (the pain of replace is greater) even though i have never broken either with a fish only ever damaged one in the car door and it was glass anyway
cheers
blaze

Flex
19-09-2002, 05:39 AM
Hello.
The rod you are talking about is called a 'Vector'. I personally think the rod is not worth the money. You cant expect much for $26.
last week I went into ####### an all there silstart rage is about 40-50% off.
I got a 6' baitcaster rod
(PC-601,6-10kg) normally at $85-90 for $47. The whole range is about half price.So jump in quick an buy a couple of cheap rods.

Because once you have them they will last you a lifetime.
(unlike the k-mart rods)

Thats my 2 cents .
Regards
Flex

Fisherman02
19-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi flex
Yer thats the one.
cheers jack