PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Sticks and broken runners

whiteman
28-08-2003, 10:04 AM
I've had 4 Ugly Sticks in the past 10 years and 2 of them have lost the plastic insert in the runner at the tip. I'm not the most gentle person on this planet but I've never had this problem with other rods.

Is this common with Uglies? Easy to fix?

blaze
28-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi whiteman
Just warm up with cig lighter and remove while hot with pliers (dont get it to hot)
fit new eye with aridite
hope this helps
cheers
blaze

whiteman
29-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks Blaze, I'll give it a go.

Volvo
29-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Whiteman this problem is not isolated to Ugly Sticks or Cheap Runners ey.
I use Fuji Runners which are supposed ta be the best and i occasionally have the same problem and its assciated with how ya tie your line to your leader etc most times via the knot bein too lumpy if thats the right term ta use and as ya cast the knot hits against the tip and eventually nocks it out of its holder.
like previousely mentioned easy enough to remove a guide or runner as ya call it. Just make sure ya use a nice n sharp stanly knife to first off remove the old resin n cotton.
Dont bite too deep with the stanley knife and lift up as ya scrape or cut off the old resin n cotton.If removing the tip guide . use the cigarette lighter ta heat up the original glue within and wrap piece of cloth around the tip and pull off. take care not ta burn your fingers as tip will be hot , hence the use of the cloth wrapped around the tip guide :).
Either replace yourself or take to your local Tackle Store who will replace the guide.
nothing too hard about replacing guides or tip ey as long as ya take your time n take care to do a neat job.
Cheers.

whiteman
02-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Good observation Volvo. I've been using the albright knot to tie 30lb mono leaders to 10lb braid. I have not been careful with the knot and sometimes it's a bit, as you say, lumpy. Been using the rod to cast live bait at snags so I suppose this has upped the wear and tear factor.

Dare I ask, what is the best knot for this situation???

DR
02-09-2003, 10:42 AM
whiteman, when you replace the tip guide try using the next size ring up from the one thats broken. It gives a bit more room for those lumpy knots. also you could put some super glue on the knot, spit on your fingers & roll glue into bullet shape. this also helps knot through guide.
cheers

Volvo
02-09-2003, 12:12 PM
mate i used ta use the allbright also, took me time with it ta make sure it was finished off nice n neat and then went over to the imptoved albright and thats when i started losing the occasional tip insert.
found the improved albright a tad easier n faster for gettin a bait back in the drink so just gotta get myself back to the old way of doin things lol.
what DR sez about a bit of super glue on the knot should also help. Guess just a tad more patience and a neater finish with the knots lol, pull tight on the knot n snip in close :).
Cheers

Ben@Tamworth
02-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I have had two ugly stiks that have done this. Ugly stik's already use fuji guides so you can't complain there ;) I have started using a fuji silicon carbide tip on my new rod - cost me $18 for the tip but I figure it's worth it for real high quality.

Last time I had an ugly stik tip let go I just took it into fishing tackle australia to get a new tip and used a spot of 5 minute epoxy fixed it up real nice - only thing is the new guide is shiny!

whiteman
03-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Spot on again Volvo about using the "improved albright". It's a great knot to tie and strong as! DR's advice may be heeded but first I'll try and get the knot size down. With two young boys running around the boat I'm not sure I want superglue onboard. I will get a larger size guide anyway. Gotta get this fixed asap as next week I'm trying the reefs off Dunk Island.

Ben, nice to hear from a fisho from Tamworth. Used to spend a fair bit of time up your way as my company did a lot of work for the council. Great climate for an inland place.

CamH
04-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Hi Dave,

I always use a Geoff Wilson knot he calls the Tony Jones Wind On Leader Knot. It is roughly similar to the Albright but the double is wound around the leader rather than the other way around. It is a very strong and tidy knot which I use with everything from fully rollered game rods to 4 kg baitcast rods and never have a problem with getting it through the rollers or guides and onto the reel. Reports are that is suppose to be stronger than the albright also.

whiteman
06-09-2003, 10:15 AM
CamH

Have you got a picture of the knot?

whiteman
09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Took the Ugly Stick to 7 to 7 in Townsville this morning. Terry Garlick put a new tip runner on for $5 in the time it took me to go to the freezer and get some more pillies!

Why would bother doing it yourself???

CamH
10-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Hi Dave, If you grab a copy of one of the Geoff Wilson knot books you'll see it, sorry I don't have a scanner to get an image onto this site. Also I think it might be on the fishnet.com.au site as well as he is a regular contributor to their fishing forums.

whiteman
11-09-2003, 06:15 AM
CamH, I checked the Fishnet site and Geoff's knots are well featured. I'm doing a bit of fishing for the next 4 days around Dunk Is so I'll experiment with some of kis knots. I've also got a book at home with hundreds of knots. I guess there is no definative knot for tying leaders and terminal tackle. I look for ones that I can tie with my short-sightedness and in low light at night. This narrows the field somewhat!

CamH
12-09-2003, 05:46 AM
I don't think there is a lot of difference in knots when you talk about using an albright as apposed to something else and especially at recreational level. I like mucking around tying knots and experimenting (even if it's just in my living room at home). Geoff Wilson seems to have heaps of knots that he has really put a lot of time into researching and the diagrams and his instructions are easy to follow. Having said that I still reckon you can count the number of knots you need to know for all fishing situations on 1 hand.